Combine Talk | Page 38 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Combine Talk

I dunno why everyone is hyped over Waynes today, His weakness's IMO shined far more than his strengths in these drills.

Put him In Off coverage and he's getting Chewed up. And against a guy like Jarvis who runs zig zag he Would get manhandled too, No matter how and where he lined up.

I wouldn't take Maxx Williams in the first but a lot of teams will factor in that he's only 20, hasn't filled out yet and he will most likely get faster and stronger as his body matures. I could absolutely see him in play for New England who's been trying to replace Aaron Hernandez since he got arrested. They would love to go back to their two TE sets they ran all the time or some variation of it. It's a lot easier to find mismatches against linebackers in this league than it is CBs on the outside.

People been talking about what the pats are going to do in the draft for years and are always wrong. Bellichek is a forward thinker, no one can predict what he will do, when is the last time anyone predicted Any of his picks correctly?

As for Maxx he just doesn't do anything for me, I think everything About him is overhyped. Hes getting a lot of juice off of his age, dunno if it's warranted.

People been talking about what the pats are going to do in the draft for years and are always wrong. Bellichek is a forward thinker, no one can predict what he will do, when is the last time anyone predicted Any of his picks correctly?

As for Maxx he just doesn't do anything for me, I think everything About him is overhyped. Hes getting a lot of juice off of his age, dunno if it's warranted.

Well I called them getting Jerod Mayo, Jamie Collins, Dant'a Hightower and McCourty.

I stand corrected than. How did you figure that out?

Dant'a Hightower and McCourty were easy because of Belichick's relationships with Saban and Schiano. He had a need at those spots...players lined up with where they were picking and I knew he'd have all the information he'd ever want on those two players because of their college coaches. Jerod Mayo was the best ILB coming out and Pats had a need there...I think most websites had that one before I ever did. Jamie Collins was a guy I wanted Miami to draft...only linebacker worth a crap on that Southern Mississippi team and I just had a feeling, with Mayo getting injured all the time, Belichick was going to take him...that was more of "I don't want them to draft Collins so they will" kind of thing...lol.

Yeah i was a big Collins fan too, didn't expect ne to draft him after already having mayo, Donta, and jones though.

oh totally... he is very soft, doesnt read and recognize well, cant get off blocks, isnt physical.. get lost in the middle, doesnt get to the line to make plays.... but yes he is very athletic

this below was my thoughts on him after watching his game films:

ILB- Stephone Anthony of Clemson: He doesnt have range, doesnt seem overly fast. Though said to see him having good instincts and reading well with a great first step into holes... I see him mostly taking poor angles, and slow to the line. He tends to get lost in the middle too. He doesnt fill well, but instead gets into plays behind the action. Doesnt angle well to plays to the outside. He doesnt take on blocks, and doesnt get off blocks well... he plays unagressive it almost seems like. There isnt much I liked in watching his film at all.

All of this is wrong IMO.

Anthony since he's been recruited has been a run stuffing machine for the clemson defense. He's always been very aggresive, & one of his best strengths IMO is his ability to stuff the hole and take on the block and still make the tackle.

Jalen Collins #1 CB in the draft. Waynes has a limited ceiling, because he doesn't have "sweet feet." Collins does. Speed is great, but he's not as big as he was projected coming into the Combine, and he doesn't have the feet to warrant a top-15 pick.

Wayne helped his cause today but Im still just not a huge fan. Some people love I'm so maybe I should take another look…but I just don't see it. His short area quickness leaves a lot to desire…very handsy as well.

Wayne helped his cause today but Im still just not a huge fan. Some people love I'm so maybe I should take another look…but I just don't see it. His short area quickness leaves a lot to desire…very handsy as well.

Faster than he is quick. Not a great thing for a CB.

I think Rowe is also an excellent pick in the mid-later rounds. In his first year at CB, he got beat a few times, but generally speaking, he played excellent coverage for a first-year guy. He's also very good on ST's. Ton of upside with Rowe. Great tackler, and great fit for Miami.

I also think Steven Nelson would be a great fit. Both are solid tacklers and good in press and off coverage. Rowe isn't as refined as Nelson, but he offers more upside. I like both.

Liked Steve Nelson in Senior Bowl. Steal him and get your other spots.

Liked Steve Nelson in Senior Bowl. Steal him and get your other spots.

Totally agree!!! once again i liked Steven Nelson a lot too, and today he really impressed me and would love to get him... but other teams also probably moved him up their boards a bit too.

Does Trae Waynes' poor shuttle and cone times trouble you? From watching film Waynes seems late when breaking on shorter routes. Given his poor showing on the cone and shuttle drills I think he lacks quickness rather then technique. What do you think? Am I wrong, or do you think his lack of quickness can be fixed through proper coaching?

sorry i was gone with friends, watching college hoops.... i finally got to see the cone and shuttle results:

yeah the Trae Waynes times were definitely more off than i expected, about a second slower than what you would like to see. does it worry me, yes a bit, but thats the typ of stuff he needs to work on basically is the footwork. he did show today he was pretty fluent, but its different with space around. we definitely know he can run with people and has the recovery speed and acceleration. he'll be working on it with coaches from this point on no doubt preparing for his pro day!!! he is not going to be a kid thats going to get man handled, i dont understand that.

Jalen Collins was also very impressive today, but has a lot to work on too himself, but he also proved he has the ability to do so... he needs to work his footwork in and out of his backpedal for his pro day too, and from film he definitely needs to learn how to use his hands in coverage as well. but he showed a lot today to like!!!

Kevin Johnson was also mentioned recently on this thread... i wish he was shown a lot more in the drills, didnt really get to see him much.... but he put up great results in the 40, cone, and shuttle... plus from film we definitely know he has the athletic ability in all ways as well as good route awareness and coverage skills. he just really needs to add strength and power into those legs of his... but a great CB to like a lot!!!

I think i commented a bit ago on Steven Nelson too... but i'll say it again, I agree with couple of ya that he is looking awesome today in drills and solid timed results... as well as what I loved with his game film. what round do you think he is stated now to be coming out of??? i'd love to get him later in draft.

Looks like Draft Breakdown got some videos of Chris Conley out there after his ridiculous numbers at the combine.

http://draftbreakdown.com/players/chris-conley/

thank you but what stinks was that it was only 2:16 of him against Arkansas.... mostly of him making plays too, instead of full drives in a game:

WR- Chris Conley 2014: i saw his speed!!! he looked smoother to the outside, firing off the line much better, showed nice hands catching away from his frame, still footwork in routes isnt great, and he is a one step and break guy which isnt smooth or good for route separation, still doesnt seem to have awareness in routes though with his body positioning especially, was still blocking and working through the whistle.\

WR- Chris Conley from his 2013 game film: decent hands, not great footwork and doesnt use hands well in routes, route running isnt great, seems to get open mostly on crossing routes when time develops, doesnt show knowledge or awareness in routes, body positioning, etc. fires decently off the line and can have light feet. Seems to be hard worker, willing blocker though not strong, plays through the whistle. He has that combine athleticism in him, but I didnt see it on the field, even in breaking tackles on short routes.

Back
Top Bottom