Combine Talk | Page 40 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Combine Talk

Jalen Collins #1 CB in the draft. .
Wow, JOTD, you a I agree on a fair few players but this isn't one of them.

Jalen Collins is the project of all projects. Barely played, very questionable appetite for getting stuck in, takes poor angles, doesn't read formations or the QB, savvy route runners will misdirect him and physical guys will feast on his tackle-shy style. This is Sean Smith without the experience here. If you draft that in round one, I pity your DC cause he'll be under serious pressure to not make him and you look foolish for the first 2 or 3 years. After that, he still might be hanging back while someone else makes the tackle.

I'd have him in the third at the earliest and to be honest I'd probably pass altogether. Just my opinion.

What has happened after I left for a while in this thread...... conversations of milk and cookies??? and josh freeman wearing women panties???

Started watching the CBs last night. Only got to group 10 (or the first group of DBs) and was a bit disappointed. They said last years average time was 4.54 and this first group had an average time of 4.55 so maybe they weren't as slow as it seemed.

Ladarius Gunter is going to have to switch to Safety...no way he can play CB with a 4.65 and he was a little stiff in the hips on some of the drills.

Quandre Diggs looked really good in drills, great feet on that kid, smooth transitions, good hips...not fast (4.56) or tall (5' 9 1/8") but I was impressed with him in drills.

Charles Gaines looked good too...not as good as Diggs. His transitions were pretty good but he had a little trouble flipping his hips to turn and run. He's a former receiver so tracking the ball and coming up with the catch is not an issue with him.

Landon Collins has pretty good hips for a safety but that guy has some stone hands. I see a guy you can put in the box and help with the run game but he doesn't show good ball skills.

Jalen Collins has a good backpedal...very smooth and quick. I thought he struggled a little bit flipping his hips to turn and run but the transitions from side-to-side were good and he tracked the ball well and looked natural catching the ball.

Justin Cox I thought looked awful in the drills. Great straight line speed running a 4.37 but huge disappointment in the drills IMO.

Adrian Amos looked good...almost CB good. I need to take a look at some of his games.

Lorenzo Doss looked OK...I think that's a kid you can take late and develop and he may turn into something. The lack of physical play on tape is a concern but the balls skills are really good.

Senquez Golson looked really good in the drills. I think this kid could be an outstanding slot CB. His size (5' 8 5/8") is a concern but he plays bigger than his size.

I need to finish watching the rest of the drills and get a look at the next group.

Amos was a CB early at Penn State Truth. Ended up starting there as a freshmen I believe. I THINK he was a CB O'Brien's first year there but battled injuries and was moved to safety because they felt he was getting too big for CB

I would love for us to take Diggs in the mid rounds to replace Jimmy W. He's smart as a whip, all effort, good footwork, great instincts. Not the tallest or fastest guy, otherwise he'd be going a lot earlier, but he'd be perfect in the slot.

Golson is a class act. His hands are terrific, he has the speed and fluidity to play anywhere in the secondary. He does switch off every so often though, from what I've seen. Lets a guy get away from him and has to bail to try and haul him back in. He times his jump on the ball so well he can out-compete much bigger receivers. That aspect is Grimes-like.

So....

Jaelen Strong. On video, I'm not a huge fan. No suddenness, marginal get-off, struggles to separate, not the sharpest route runner. It's decent, but he doesn't jump off the screen.

Much as I'm loath to put store into the COmbine results, Strong is an example where I'm really scratching my head. 4.44 and a 1.58 split. Whatever about the 4.44, the 10-yard split is mind-boggling when you look at how pedestrian he can be off the LOS. The vert was very impressive too. He's a lot more quick-twitch than we all gave him credit for.

So why doesn't he put it down on the field? Is it attitude? Scheme? Poor route savviness? Bad technique with his get-off? Is this a correctable issue (knowing that he's plenty quick and has some explosiveness) or do you just say "the eye in the sky don't lie"?

Depending on how the WR chips fall and the reality that this FO won't touch DGB, these are questions the Fins management must be asking themselves. Can we make Jaelen Strong a stud?

Thoughts?

I personally love strong. Gotta remember he's still very raw only playing 2 years at Arizona State (was at JuCo before that) and played in a spread offense at Arizona State. What he does well now is stuff we absolutely could use in our receiving game.

Can we make him a stud? No clue. He made a significant jump from his first year at ASU to his second so I think he has the work ethic to do so.

So why doesn't he put it down on the field? Is it attitude? Scheme? Poor route savviness? Bad technique with his get-off? Is this a correctable issue (knowing that he's plenty quick and has some explosiveness) or do you just say "the eye in the sky don't lie"?

D

He had 82 receptions this past year, and in college that's quite a lot. I don't know where this idea comes from that he didn't show his abilities on the field.

He ran a legit route tree in college, caught a lot of passes out of his breaks, caught passes on all 3 levels of the field, which for this WR class is freaking rare. You don't need to run full speed often if your catching a lot of passes out of breaks.

He also showed his ability to use his size consistently, especially on 3rd downs or red zone situations.

I mean, the guy did and does a lot, I don't know why people keep saying other wise. So what if he didn't get 4-5 yards of separation consistently, the guy clearly can play football, and the combine shows he's clearly much faster and more athletic than any of us thought he was.

So....

Jaelen Strong. On video, I'm not a huge fan. No suddenness, marginal get-off, struggles to separate, not the sharpest route runner. It's decent, but he doesn't jump off the screen.

Much as I'm loath to put store into the COmbine results, Strong is an example where I'm really scratching my head. 4.44 and a 1.58 split. Whatever about the 4.44, the 10-yard split is mind-boggling when you look at how pedestrian he can be off the LOS. The vert was very impressive too. He's a lot more quick-twitch than we all gave him credit for.

Depending on how the WR chips fall and the reality that this FO won't touch DGB, these are questions the Fins management must be asking themselves. Can we make Jaelen Strong a stud?

Thoughts?

Mayock said he reminds him of Larry Fitzgerald...but is faster.

So....

Thoughts?

I think he can be coached up. The athleticism is there, the desire to fight for the ball and use his size and leaping ability is there. I think the footwork and route running need work.

Strong is probably the best back shoulder receiver in this draft…he is so good at using his body to box out defenders..while timing his jump excellently. We haven't had one of those receivers with Tannehill so Im not sure its a strength or not. I think he's a good player though…probably a late 1st rounder in my book.

Strong is probably the best back shoulder receiver in this draft…he is so good at using his body to box out defenders..while timing his jump excellently. We haven't had one of those receivers with Tannehill so Im not sure its a strength or not. I think he's a good player though…probably a late 1st rounder in my book.

Given Kansas City has already cut bait with two WRs and not a single WR scored a TD for them last year...he might just be in play at #18.

He had 82 receptions this past year, and in college that's quite a lot. I don't know where this idea comes from that he didn't show his abilities on the field.

He ran a legit route tree in college, caught a lot of passes out of his breaks, caught passes on all 3 levels of the field, which for this WR class is freaking rare. You don't need to run full speed often if your catching a lot of passes out of breaks.

He also showed his ability to use his size consistently, especially on 3rd downs or red zone situations.

I mean, the guy did and does a lot, I don't know why people keep saying other wise. So what if he didn't get 4-5 yards of separation consistently, the guy clearly can play football, and the combine shows he's clearly much faster and more athletic than any of us thought he was.

OK, I'm obviously not saying what I meant to say here. I'm not knocking the guys production. I would question his route-running in terms of precision, but we all agree he's fairly raw.

What I'm focusing on is - as you put it - "he's clearly much faster and more athletic than any of us thought he was." Nobody on here or the various football sites was expecting Jaelen's combine no.s. Why? because nobody has seen him do on the field what he did on the track. 1.58 split for a guy of his size is stellar. Yet the biggest knock on him from most people is how pedestrian he looks off the LOS. How he never really stretches the field, never gets true separation. People wonder if he'll be as productive in college if defenders can cover him easily.

What I'm wondering here is - is he a guy worth gambling on in the hope you can unlock the track warrior in him when he takes the field? If so, at what stage in the draft?

Strong at 14 is too high for me, and I like him. Cooper/White/Parker at 14. If not those than I am perfectly fine missing out on Strong and DGB, who probably wont be there at 47. I am not taking those 2 at 14, there are other WRs in this draft who could honestly be better players anyway, atleast for us. I am not missing out on other talents at other positions for a raw WR with potential.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

OK, I'm obviously not saying what I meant to say here. I'm not knocking the guys production. I would question his route-running in terms of precision, but we all agree he's fairly raw.

What I'm focusing on is - as you put it - "he's clearly much faster and more athletic than any of us thought he was." Nobody on here or the various football sites was expecting Jaelen's combine no.s. Why? because nobody has seen him do on the field what he did on the track. 1.58 split for a guy of his size is stellar. Yet the biggest knock on him from most people is how pedestrian he looks off the LOS. How he never really stretches the field, never gets true separation. People wonder if he'll be as productive in college if defenders can cover him easily.

What I'm wondering here is - is he a guy worth gambling on in the hope you can unlock the track warrior in him when he takes the field? If so, at what stage in the draft?

He can stretch the field from the tape I saw. He gets behind the defense pretty easily and gets separation on those deep routes. Its all the other routes he struggles with. I'll go back and look at his combine drills, I need to go back and look at everyone anyway, but I want to get a look at his COD.

Back
Top Bottom