Compensatory pick projections | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Compensatory pick projections

JohnDolphin73 said:
Don't we get something for the loss of Brock Marion, Ricky Williams, and Todd Wade?When was the last time we received any picks? I know Williams didn't sign with another team, but he did retire and was a quality player. Does anyone know when the actual picks are announced?

Unless the league decides to throw us a bone for Ricky, he doesn't count. He retired and didn't sign as a free agent with another team.

Roman529 said:
Crested Butte is nice...my brother has a condo in Vail....but I have NEVER skiied in my life. :cry: How did Wade end up in Houston>>????

Blame Wade on Rick and Wanny! Live in Colorado and never skied! :hmmm:

Wade wanted to much bucks!, When the Texans gave him want he wanted I thought we would get a pick, Oh well!

Man that just sucks. NE gets 2 4ths? & Miami gets notta? It just plain sucks!

I seen this guys projections for several years. He's usually pretty close (within a few picks).

Gunner4u65 said:
Even though St Claire worked out ok, you can thank Speilstedt for the lack of getting a pick for Wade because we sign three F/A lineman. McIntosh & James were the other two. They balance the comp picks based on what you lost against what you gained in free agency. Our signings out numbered our losses.

yeah, lets get mad at him for trying to improve the oline instead of staying put to get a comp pick :shakeno:

DonShula84 said:
yeah, lets get mad at him for trying to improve the oline instead of staying put to get a comp pick :shakeno:

Welcome to Dolphin fandom. :shakeno:

DonShula84 said:

If they had actually signed someone worth a hoot, I would agree. The three scrubs we signed obviously didnt "improve" anything as they performed worse than the previous years line hands down. If they were going to sign Tait and Woody, by all means, spend away. Instead, in the same old Wanny way, we signed other team's left overs. I would have rather kept the guys we had from the year prior, cuz last years unit flat out stunk in comparison.

Gunner4u65 said:
Even though St Claire worked out ok, you can thank Speilstedt for the lack of getting a pick for Wade because we sign three F/A lineman. McIntosh & James were the other two. They balance the comp picks based on what you lost against what you gained in free agency. Our signings out numbered our losses.

I don't think this is true. The NFL still awards comp picks to teams with a net gain of free agents if the value (deemed by the committee) lost is greater than gained.

I think Wade's huge contract will guarantee that we will get at least one pick.

Roman529 said:
That's the ONLY reason I tune in USC games...the white sweater cheerleaders.
:lolcry:

And that's a good reason! :D

Steve S said:
Gunner4u65 said:

I don't think this is true. The NFL still awards comp picks to teams with a net gain of free agents if the value (deemed by the committee) lost is greater than gained.

I think Wade's huge contract will guarantee that we will get at least one pick.

We can hope, but I dont see it. James/McIntosh/St Claire all add up to more than Wade ... they were all starters for us last year. Add in the signing of Reggie Howard too ... thats 4 against one. Our only saving grace might come from the league if they have pity on us from the whole Ricky fiasco. Hell, they should just give us another 1st round pick just for having suffered with Wannstedt for 5 years.

Steve S said:
I don't think this is true. The NFL still awards comp picks to teams with a net gain of free agents if the value (deemed by the committee) lost is greater than gained.[/b]

The person who spends enough time on this to have created the projections states quite clearly this has *never* happened. When there is no net gain or loss, the NFL sometimes awards a pick. Per the authority linked, even that has only happened 8 times.

Jimmy James said:
The person who spends enough time on this to have created the projections states quite clearly this has *never* happened. When there is no net gain or loss, the NFL sometimes awards a pick. Per the authority linked, even that has only happened 8 times.

The person making the projections is very accurate in what he says as to how the picks are awarded. However there has been at least one time when a team had a net gain of free agents and still rec'd comp picks, b/c it happened to Miami in 1997. In 1996, we had a net gain of 2. We signed CB Robert Bailey, WR Fred Barnett, QB Mike Buck, C Cal Dixon, WR Charles Jordan, and DE Daniel Stubbs. We lost LB Bryan Cox, CB Troy Vincent, WR Irving Fryar and DE Marco Coleman. The following year, 1997, we rec'd 3 third round comp picks. This had to be due to the value of the players lost, especially with Vincent and Coleman being Transition Players. With the three comp picks, we drafted Derrick Rodgers, Ronnie Ward and Brent Smith.

Are you sure all the players signed were eligible under the compensatory pick program?

For instance, it seems that nobody knows for certain whether Sammy Morris would be included in the formula.

NJFINSFAN1 said:
You near Crested Butte? I'm heading out there skiing with the family next Feb!

I skied at Loveland Ski Pass Resort in CO. That was a blast. And talk about gorgeous scenery..... oh yea, the landscape was nice too.... :eek:

Back
Top Bottom