"Cromartie can't escape Marshall" | Page 8 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

"Cromartie can't escape Marshall"

Revis has face Marshall just one time are I right? it was 2008 and Marshall had 5 catches for 55 yards. thats the most relevant thing here. Ochho cinco, s.smtih even Colston are not on Marshalls level. He has far better physical skills. I agree Andre Johnson is a beast very comparable to Marshall in physical tools. and yes Revis has done well against him. how bout versus Fitzgerald? idk if he played Revis yet, should have in 2008. the only guys you can put up there with Marshall are Andre Johnson, Fittzgerald and I'd agrue Calvin Johnson. how does Revis fair against them? Revis CAN NOT single cover Marshall I doubt anyone can. if Marshall makes the catch he breaks the tackle (like he does better then any WR) and is gone. I dont think Revis can shut down Marshall completely thats all Im saying here
You were very good researching that. Now go back and watch the game. Revis allowed 2 reception for I believe about 20 yards against HIMSELF. When Revis didn't cover him, Marshall got 3 catches. Against Revis, Marshall had 4 incompletions and two or maybe 3 completions. I'd take that sort of coverage against about 15 WRs in the NFL. But one game as a sample size is like picking up a random person from the street (who is a male) and then assuming that only males reside on the street. U get the point.

While Marshall has been consistent with his production, Revis has been improving game in game out. Last year, he was a runner up to DPoY, an All-Pro, and a Pro Bowler. The year before, he was just a Pro Bowler. His rookie season, he just gained some attention and thats it. Has he reached his peak? Not really. He's only 24 right now and chances are, he would still improve.

Brandon Marshall is great IMO, but his matchup against Revis is just not a favorable one. That doesn't make him an average WR, but just a bad matchup against one of the best CB in the NFL. Andre Johnson was shut down for almost three quarters last year. Ocho Cinco was shut down for one game and had one or two receptions in the other game. Steve Smith (Panthers) was held to ONE reception. Randy Moss had a couple of below average days. Roddy White was held check and so was Colston and Reggie. Ted had ONE play against him in two games. Its not a coincidence that Revis has been this great.

Most people will argue that Revis had safety help bla bla bla. They are ignorant and have nothing valuable to add. Jets D was based on man to man coverage with one safety on 'most' plays. We blitzed 6 guys on about 80% of the plays and I wouldn't be surprised if we rushed 8 guys atleast 25% of the times. That leaves the secondary man-to-man as atleast one safety would be blitzing. U can say we had a great pass rush, but everybody knows when u blitz, you leave the secondary vulnerable to big plays. From the stats NYJUNC posted, it shows Revis wasn't the one that gave up huge plays besides the one TD from Ted.

Regardless.. Match up Revis on Marshall all day long. There is still Bess, Camarillo, and Hartline . Not flashy, but solid Wes Welker type guys who can move the chains. Ricky and Ronnie catch the ball out of the back field as good as any back in the league.

Cromartie won't really be on Marshall much I don't think.

Regardless.. Match up Revis on Marshall all day long. There is still Bess, Camarillo, and Hartline . Not flashy, but solid Wes Welker type guys who can move the chains. Ricky and Ronnie catch the ball out of the back field as good as any back in the league.

Cromartie won't really be on Marshall much I don't think.
Davone Bess seems like a nice WR. Camarillo and Hartline could be decent as well. But they don't scare anyone. Cromartie is an excellent cover guy (no pun intended). Lowery had an excellent rookie year for a 4th rounder. Kyle Wilson is considered the best CB of the 2010 NFL draft by a lot of analysts. A lot of them had him go as high as #7 to the Browns. Regardless, Camarillo and Hartline should be a relatively easy task for him in the Nickel package.

I just don't see how Miami can beat the Jets offensively this year. On paper, Jets D is miles above Miami O and thats about all we have to compare right now. They caught the Jets napping last year with the Wild Cats in the first game, but were very poor offensively in the second game.

In the NFL, there is no such thing as a "meaningless regular season game". All games are important. Take the Jets last two regular season games last year. They were deemed "meaningless" by the Colts and Bengals but meant everything to the Jets.

But you're absolutly correct. At the end of the day it's about being World Champion. Something neither the Jets or Dolphins have been for a very very long time. I will say however, when you're talking about two teams that are such fierce rivals like the Dolphins and Jets, any matchup between the two is anything but regular.

But just to clarify, my prior comments were strickly directed at specific comparisons between the Dolphins and the Jets only.

If he's better, then why doesn't he follow the #1 receiver around? Where did I say Revis didn't get burned by Ginn? No where.

clear.gif

Do you also see that Revis was thrown at around 5 times over what Asomugha gets thrown at? (never mind the crappy grammar).

I acknowledge, obvioulsy, that Revis did better - much better - than any other DB. But Asomugha just isn't thrown at. He gets less than 2 attempts per game!

I'd say it's debatable, who's actually better.

Do you also see that Revis was thrown at around 5 times over what Asomugha gets thrown at? (never mind the crappy grammar).

I acknowledge, obvioulsy, that Revis did better - much better - than any other DB. But Asomugha just isn't thrown at. He gets less than 2 attempts per game!

I'd say it's debatable, who's actually better.

Does anyone get that being thrown at more and still holding his opponents down more is a check mark FOR revis? According to that chart revis was thrown at about 116 times and the rtaing for opposing QBs on those attempts was about 32 while Asomugha was thrown at about 23 times and the rating against him was 99. In the limited opps against Asomugha his opponents did bettert han revis' opponents and revis faced better competition. Not to mention Oakland was down in most games and opponents ran alot more against oakland. The Jets D w 63 more pass attemtps than oak and 128 LESS rush attemtps. teams were running out the clock on oak so they saw less pass attemtps and Asomugah so less attempts yet his opponents still put up better #s than Revis' opps.

There is no argument who was better in the 2009 season. It's not even debateable.

Champ vs. top Wrs(Ocho, Moss, Austin- again before he started putting up #s, Holmes, Wayne):

5 games, 19 recs, 280 yds, 0 TDs
avg: 3.8 recs, 56 yds

Again, against lesser competition the opposing WRs put up better #s and I don't know if he was covering welker or Moss against NE or how he was macthed up w/ the other top guys.

Think about that, in 9 games against better competition Revis allowed 247 yds against him while in 5 games against lesser competition Champ allowed 280.

Yeah he allowed a whooping 33 more yards but no TD's I will take that all day long. After 16 games it was a whooping 184 yards more but no TD's no Ted Ginn smoking him or any other excuses for allowing the TD. That is the better season by far, even you would take no TD's allowed over 184 yards lets be real now. That is a Shutdown corner 0 can Revis say that. And maybe Austin wasn't putting up any numbers cause champ wouldn't let him.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah he allowed a whooping 33 more yards but no TD's I will take that all day long. After 16 games it was a whooping 184 yards more but no TD's no Ted Ginn smoking him or any other excuses for allowing the TD. That is the better season by far, even you would take no TD's allowed over 184 yards lets be real now. That is a Shutdown corner 0 can Revis say that. And maybe Austin wasn't putting up any numbers cause champ wouldn't let him.

He did so in LESS games against LESSER competition.

Austin had 2 recs the first 3 games, he had 3 against denver. His first 4 games inclduing that den game he had a total of 5 recs for 81 yds and 1 TD. He clearly wasn't a big part of their O yet.

Davone Bess seems like a nice WR. Camarillo and Hartline could be decent as well. But they don't scare anyone...

True, true. And people are blind as bats if they don't see how speed is still a HUGE problem for Miami's WR corps. Only the committed Fin homers think Bess, Hartline and Cam scare anyone or have any downfield skill at all. As a Fin fan, this is disheartening to me, thinking of any of those three trying to hold up the other end of the WR position for Marshall. Marshall needs a SKILLED fast guy at number two. Wouldn't hurt to have another at number three. Bess and Cam and Hartline are about as fast as drying paint... oil based.

No speed at skill positions = a mediocre offense... only about 100 percent of the time.

Until Miami trades out Bess, Hartline or Cam for genuine talent, Marshall is gonna have tough days against Revis and Jets.

LD

Back
Top Bottom