Cutler vs. Tannehill Season-Long Comparison Thread | Page 30 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Cutler vs. Tannehill Season-Long Comparison Thread

it could end up the same way too...but the x factor for me is adam gase and I do believe whatever cutler has left he will get it...will it be enough? I doubt it cause in the postseason consistency of qb play and turnovers from the position send you home more than anything.

but I wont even endorse matt moore cause I know he cant read coverage off anything other than motion based id's and you cant live 16 games off that without a top 5 defense and top 5 running game.

I think the much more likely scenario is that the Dolphins win and lose with Jay Ajayi's ability to handle 25 or so carries, at about 4 or more yards a carry, and the defense's ability to limit the performance of opposing QBs.

The above formula -- which we saw work very well in the second half Sunday -- is what this team is going to have to live and die by in my opinion. That formula allows Cutler to be a game manager rather than a game-winner, which is all he has left.

If he can merely avoid interceptions and losing games himself, the rest of the team can win games in the above way like it did Sunday.

I think the much more likely scenario is that the Dolphins win and lose with Jay Ajayi's ability to handle 25 or so carries, at about 4 or more yards a carry, and the defense's ability to limit the performance of opposing QBs.

The above formula -- which we saw work very well in the second half Sunday -- is what this team is going to have to live and die by in my opinion. That formula allows Cutler to be a game manager rather than a game-winner, which is all he has left.

If he can merely avoid interceptions and losing games himself, the rest of the team can win games in the above way like it did Sunday.

I totally agree with that...there's no doubt what this teams formula is for 2017...you've nailed it...it's limit the qb exposure...I said that from the jump even on tape...

and I just want to say that I'm really glad that over time you've shown to understand the game at a much higher level than just statistical analysis in a vacuum...for a while there I wondered if you were a former poster but then the more I read the more I realized that couldn't be cause that poster didn't know a football from a hand grenade in terms of applying statistics in the correct context to what's happening on the field in the game...had no clue...

but let me also say that I think you are underestimating gase's influence here...look no further than miamis record in one score games since 2016...that more than anything is a direct reflection of the head coach both in game management, play calling, team preparation, in game adjustment and situational clock and personnel management...and gase deserves a gold star in that regard...we made the postseason last year with a d giving up 500 yards per clip to finish the season and a backup qb that cant read coverage...we start this year 3 and 2 with a emergency add qb that you and i both know is washed up by and large and yet that one score record continues to carry...that's on the head coach fellas...adam gase is solid gold

Reactions: <O>
I would agree that Gase deserves a lot of credit for this team winning games with Jay Cutler at the helm right now.

"Why doesn't Gase just open up the playbook?"

Folks, if Gase opened up the playbook, we'd be putting this surprisingly good defense in really, really bad positions.

This is still being debated after watching Cuttler throw off his back foot for 5 weeks.
No QB in the league does that better...because no other QB does it as often.

At this point his mechanics are so screwed up, because he's been doing that his whole career, I'm not sure he knows how to throw by setting his feet.

cutlers just always relied on his bazooka arm...his mechanics have always been screwed up...he's a gunslinger mentality qb without the gun and without the willingness to stand in anymore

so it is what it is

No QB in the league does that better...because no other QB does it as often.

At this point his mechanics are so screwed up, because he's been doing that his whole career, I'm not sure he knows how to throw by setting his feet.

That’s what I’m talking about, tread should of stopped 5 pages ago.

This is still being debated after watching Cutler throw off his back foot for 5 weeks.

There is no debate. Of the people who thought Cutler was a good signing, we fell into two camps:

- "Well, we're screwed but Cutler + Moore is better than Moore + Fales, and I want to see us win some games even in this situation."

- "Tannehill blows, this is an upgrade."

I fell into that first camp, and so far it looks like I was wrong. People in the second camp have disappeared. ;)

They'd be better, no doubt, but they'd still be hovering around average with all else equal, and with Tannehill's characteristic level of play.

So far the defense has surrendered an opposing passer rating of 102, which is 5th-worst in the league. Obviously Tannehill's characteristic level of play wouldn't likely afford a positive passer rating differential under those circumstances, and passer rating differential has accounted for 85% of the variation in win percentage in the NFL since 2004.

Now, you can make the argument however that with the better quarterback play Tannehill would provide, the defense would play better against opposing QBs as a roundabout byproduct of that, and then yes, there's the potential that they'd be doing significantly better.

I'm not sure the opponent's passer rating is the key stat for our D's performance. I think it's more indicative of the Bend Dont Break philosophy that we run. Play solid run D, avoid giving up the big play (the long TD Sunday was the first I recall - though my recollections arent as good these days!), pressure the QB and get off the field on 3rd down. A 8 yard completion on 3-9 is a plus for a QB rating but a win in most cases for the D.

yep it's the run d that is getting teams behind sticks and then we are giving up things in the passing game short of the sticks and getting off the field

and that has become more prevalent or obtainable since we pulled mike hull out of the nickel...it's not a coincidence...you insert a solid awareness range and instincts lb in Timmons and good things will happen

with mike hull 2nd and 12 was turning into 3rd and 3 on plays that should if you have a solid lb out there pop for 6...you are gonna give away some yards at the lb level by how you play it that's a given but you cant give away more and let teams regain the sticks on repeat and expect to get off the field...

and that's exactly what was happening with mike hull in the nickel...we were giving teams get out of jail frees

with mike hull 2nd and 12 was turning into 3rd and 3 on plays that should if you have a solid lb out there pop for 6...you are gonna give away some yards at the lb level by how you play it that's a given but you cant give away more and let teams regain the sticks on repeat and expect to get off the field...

and that's exactly what was happening with mike hull in the nickel...we were giving teams get out of jail frees

And a good reason to invest in another good, young LB fairly high in the draft even with the hopes that McMillian comes back and performs as expected. It's almost criminal how we neglected the LB corps until this last offseason.

And a good reason to invest in another good, young LB fairly high in the draft even with the hopes that McMillian comes back and performs as expected. It's almost criminal how we neglected the LB corps until this last offseason.

I don't think that's gonna happen unless they cut Timmons...which im also doubting

I just know the way teams operate and they invest high picks in plan a starters...and Miami goes into 2018 with all 3 plan a's already in house...barring a Timmons cut

and his tape forgives a lot of sins

I don't think that's gonna happen unless they cut Timmons...which im also doubting

I just know the way teams operate and they invest high picks in plan a starters...and Miami goes into 2018 with all 3 plan a's already in house...barring a Timmons cut

and his tape forgives a lot of sins
Timmons is just a two year rental though. It would be smart to draft his replacement unless they think Chase Allen is that guy.

Timmons is just a two year rental though. It would be smart to draft his replacement unless they think Chase Allen is that guy.

I think they think a 2 down strong is not hard to find for this scheme...and I'd agree with it...allen may be the fill there...with after 2018 McMillan and kiko the nickels...

if we cut Timmons and im again saying I wouldn't do it I think Zach brown becomes a very high possibility

Back
Top Bottom