Cutler vs. Tannehill Season-Long Comparison Thread | Page 31 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Cutler vs. Tannehill Season-Long Comparison Thread

When was the last time we had a LB play like Timmons has been playing the past few weeks.

they didn't draft raekwon with long term two down visions...they will live with it if they have to but plan wise it's "mike" nickel in 2019 at least

I'm not sure the opponent's passer rating is the key stat for our D's performance. I think it's more indicative of the Bend Dont Break philosophy that we run. Play solid run D, avoid giving up the big play (the long TD Sunday was the first I recall - though my recollections arent as good these days!), pressure the QB and get off the field on 3rd down. A 8 yard completion on 3-9 is a plus for a QB rating but a win in most cases for the D.

That can't be sustained throughout an entire regular season, however.

19 teams since 2004 have surrendered an opposing passer rating between 99 and 105 (the Dolphins' is currently 102).

Those teams' combined record is 82-222, or a win percentage of 27%. That equates to a regular season record of 4-12. All but one of those 19 teams had a losing record on the season, and the one that didn't had Brett Favre and went 10-6.

So, over the short run that can work via the other factors you mentioned, perhaps, but over the long run it's highly unlikely to yield a competitive team.

That can't be sustained throughout an entire regular season, however.

19 teams since 2004 have surrendered an opposing passer rating between 99 and 105 (the Dolphins' is currently 102).

Those teams' combined record is 82-222, or a win percentage of 27%. That equates to a regular season record of 4-12. All but one of those 19 teams had a losing record on the season, and the one that didn't had Brett Favre and went 10-6.

So, over the short run that can work via the other factors you mentioned, perhaps, but over the long run it's highly unlikely to yield a competitive team.

Good points. My take, FWIW, is that they are taking that approach 1) while they try to get the O functioning at a professional level and 2) to break in some young or new players in some key roles (Tankersly and Howard at CBs, LB upheaval, Harris, Godchaux and Taylor in the Dline rotation). We seem to be pressing more, taking more chances in the D scheme recently.

Reactions: <O>
The conversation was about limiting Cutler because of his inconsistencies. It had nothing to do with turnovers. You're the one that brought up the INTs to make Tannehill look bad to fit your narrative, LOL I just responded to what you posted just to put a little context into it. But your feelings got hurt and took it in a different direction. LOL.

You seem to think the conversation was a lot of things that it was not lol. At this point we're going nowhere, you don't seem willing or perhaps able, to follow the simple logic I've now repeated several times.

Last edited:
You seem to think the conversation was a lot of things that it was not lol. At this point we're going nowhere, you don't seem willing or perhaps able, to follow the simple logic I've now repeated several times.
I should've expected the same old rhetoric. LOL

I should've expected the same old rhetoric. LOL

Its pretty clear for anyone to see that you aren't making any sense. Like I said, this is going nowhere. I will now exit the convo. Fins up.

The Miami defense has done a complete 180 from last year. A couple of numbers stand out, but the most impressive might be allowing just 3.5 yards per carry and the work the unit has done overall in the run game. One of the biggest questions in the off-season was whether the Dolphins could stop the run. So far so good.

Want a wow moment? How about holding Atlanta scoreless in the second half?

So it does beg the question. Miami is 3-2 with a quarterback in Jay Cutler who has played like a bottom-tier guy so far. If Ryan Tannehill didn't get injured, would this be a super bowl contender? Tannehill is clearly a significant step up from Cutler, although Cutler certainly isn't entirely to blame for the offensive lack of production.

I still think Kansas City is the top team in the AFC and, despite their defensive struggles, you certainly can't count out the Patriots. I feel like Pittsburgh is a bit overrated, but have to think they're the best team in their division.

It certainly looks wide open and it does make me wonder how good this team could be with Tannehill.

It’s a lot fairer of a question than I expect the general responses will treat it as.

The league is wide open right now. I think we would at least be in line to complete with NE for the division then who knows what could have happenened. Never have been biggest t-hill fan but cutler is certainly a drop off

I am not as big of a Tannehill lover as many here, but the answer in my mind is unequivocally yes, with the caveat that we don’t yet know how Tannehill would perform in the playoffs.

And Gase clearly thought so too, which is exactly why he panicked and brought in Cutler despite the potential consequences in the locker room and for our finances.

Back
Top Bottom