Cutler vs. Tannehill Season-Long Comparison Thread

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by <O>, Sep 24, 2017.

1. Miamifinz

Miamifinz Philbin is an idiot Donator

The only qb cutler should be compared to is Deshone Keizer because those two are fighting it out for the title of worst qb in the league. They're in a tier of their own right now

2. DuderinoN703

DuderinoN703 We? What the **** we? Finheaven VIP Donator

Not me.

3. DuderinoN703

DuderinoN703 We? What the **** we? Finheaven VIP Donator

Him too.

4. 39wildman

39wildman A True Fan

cutler retire at end of yr...you got 10m. cutler is like horse w broken leg. dolphins draft qb next yr. there are lot of them coming out

5. SF Dolphin Fan

SF Dolphin Fan Seasoned Veteran

Cutler is bottom five in the league. Tannehill at worst is middle of the pack.

But, no quarterback will be top 10 here unless the offensive line is improved.

6. Vaark

Vaark Nihil taurus crappus Finheaven VIP Donator

At this point, any comparison is a useless exercise. Now considering Cutler sucked big time the last 3X, if he does a 180 - or even a 145 turnaround over the next 3 games, then I guess there's some validity in resuscitating this thread after game 7.

7. -=DolfanDave=-

-=DolfanDave=- A True Fan

Makes me a little upset that they're being compared in the first place. Forget how atrocious Cutler has been these first four games.... even before he signed with us, everyone should have recognized Tannehill is clearly the superior QB.

FinaticalFinfan likes this.
  8. isaacjunk

isaacjunk FinHeaven VIP

To my shock, 12/13 (>90%) of recent NFL qbs with reconstructed acls have come back to play at a similar level (peer-reviewed journal article below)
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25102509

The article does mention that not all acl injuries are created equally, does any one here have knowledge of his particular situation?

Can you imagine? Being able to count on a healthy RT would do wonders for our offseason. Just OL and TE for offense is all that is really needed and we could be looking at a playoff run.

Travis34 likes this.
  9. hoops

hoops exited stage left

Absolutely. This team might be 5 and 0 with Ryan.

But that's for another day. There's was a lot of heart shown today

10. fansinceGWilson

fansinceGWilson FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

I've been saying since PA, Miami WILL NOT spend a high pick in '18 on QB Evidence to date assures that.

11. Travis34

Travis34 chea Finheaven VIP Donator

We should be pretty legit heading into 2018. Plenty of guys come back from ACL injuries just fine, I'm not overly concerned

12. hoops

hoops exited stage left

The lb level is so so much better right now.

We finally have 2 above average nickels paired together. That's the meal ticket on d

Yeah you gonna gain some yards but they are so smart and play with such good awareness and instincts

13. MadDog 88

MadDog 88 Smoke 'em Jay Finheaven VIP

I still see a QB in the 2nd or 3rd. TE and G have to be priority but 17 will be 30 years old and coming off an ACL. Doughty is not a suitable back up let alone potential replacement. Time to think forward like the Packers and Patriots do.

14. uk_dolfan

uk_dolfan Founder of the FH Adam Gase fan club Moderator Finheaven VIP

3 wins or not, I still dont think this is a particuarly good team.

And at least 3 ol positions prob need rebuilt regardless of who the qb is

15. hoops

hoops exited stage left

I agree qb late day 2 as tanny insurance

Cutler even today leaves too many plays on the field.

The oline is not the problem

VBCheeseGrater and kcbrown like this.
  16. isaacjunk

isaacjunk FinHeaven VIP

I really wish I could see Cutler behind an excellent line. Because imagine if it solved his issues, we could roll with RT with Cutler as a very high quality backup, just make sure we elevate our line in the offseason (i would pay up for FA to ensure this) And while RT *can* make do with our current line, it was certainly behoove us to reduce his injury risk as much as possible

17. hoops

hoops exited stage left

When Davis came in gase had no choice but to run it. Can't be ruined by the 2 deep right tackle in pass pro. Have to run it regardless of front when in fg range

18. dolphinlifer

dolphinlifer Well-Known Member

Ryan is the franchise qb for 7-10 years to come barring coaching change or another injury. Brady is 40 and tore an acl and hasn't changed. Ryan is everything you want in a qb outside of too much loyalty to bad coaches sometimes, lack of aggression sometimes and not using his legs nearly enough despite being absolutely amazing at running and throwing on the run. Philbin tried to beat both of those things into him because Philbin was a twat with a very closed mind. Thankfully Gase has tried to reverse his mindset and you saw that starting to happen last year.

RT is one of the most underrated, underused, and abused talents I've ever seen. Thank god he's all heart though because most qb's wouldn't last through 1/10th of what he has and because he did we have our franchise qb for 7-10 more years if Gase improves and keeps his job. If Gase does that, we could have a dominant team for a long time and won't have to draft a qb early for many, many years to come. We won't even need to draft one for 3-4 years because we have Moore as a great backup and fales is a good 3rd stringer.

Any one of those qbs can come in and keep this offense rolling, and with how the d is shaping up, the future looks bright talent wise.

Now its time for Gase to carry his share and live up to his Guru labeling. Show me something consistently, you got the talent so use it.

dahlmarino likes this.
  19. Ruckus45

Ruckus45 FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

I don’t think you can qualify any non 1st rd QB talent “insurance” outside of McCarren in Cincy.

The Fins have a lot of good players locked up next year and can lock up others. Raekwon comes back and we draft well- that’ll be a serious team in 2018.

20. dolphinlifer

Playing it by the book is what's kept this offense so inept for so long, he has to try to win if we are going to win consistently. Trying not to lose only builds consistency in being average to good at best.

There are times when you should play it by the book of course, but doing only that is what creates bad offenses because the defense always knows what's coming. Good offenses must take chances and thus will keep defenses on their heels uncertain most of the time because most coaches in the NFL play it safe on offense and defense so they expect that from the other team.

That is why Marino's mentality made him so potent outside of his talent, the defense could never be certain of where he was going with it, even plays as simple as you stated can benefit greatly from just doing the unexpected in that situation.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2017 at 6:59 PM
  21. hoops

hoops exited stage left

nope. You have to limit the right tackle exposure and the qb one there.

22. dolphinlifer

Well, sounds like Gase to me, predictable, although being predictable sometimes is the right move, but is hasn't gotten us much so far.

23. hoops

hoops exited stage left

I'm trying to win. If I was gonna throw it it was gonna be short set ball out quick stuff. Although cutler had enough of those tipped for me to table it and run tbe ball

Avigatorx likes this.
  24. dolphinlifer

I'm not saying you're wrong at all, I'm sure you're right. I'm just saying this offense has been far too by the book so far that is the main reason it has struggled pre that half. Remember once Gase started opening up his play calling last year how the offense picked up by a lot as well? That's all i'm saying is you can't live in a sandbox 24/7 but its correct to sometimes.

25. LANGER72

LANGER72 A True Fan

I think they could draft a QB if someone they like ...falls to a point when it would be considered a good value.
    I do not think this team is ready to deliberately select a QB that high because of our oline depth and age on defense.

26. hoops

hoops exited stage left

The qb was so much more consistent last year. Gase wasn't afraid to expose the qb nor should he have been. He is this year and for good reason.

Cutler only stands in on 3 step stuff so far. But that's a adjustment gase made this week.

He doesn't want to force him to. Teams will counter by playing tighter coverage unless the sticks give them drop out opportunities

Avigatorx likes this.
  27. dolphinlifer

Yep, Cutler sucks mainly because of his attitude and RT is almost a great qb, although not there yet.

28. SF Dolphin Fan

SF Dolphin Fan Seasoned Veteran

With the way the defense is playing, Miami might have had a shot to go pretty deep in the playoffs this year if Ryan Tannehill didn't go down.

The needs on the offensive line are obvious and maybe the team can really concentrate on that, plus finding a seam busting tight end in the offseason.

29. SCLSU Mud Dogs

SCLSU Mud Dogs foos-ball is the devil! Donator

If Miami was built with an OL like Dallas, Ajayi and Tannehill would be unstoppable.

The line right now is functional. I do think we're 5-0 with Tannehill though. Especially with how the defense is playing.

Tannehill seemed to have a real connection with Clay, so it'd be nice to get a player like him again. I see Evan Engram in New York and wish we had that kind of weapon at TE.

30. miami365

miami365 Rookie

Gase will open the playbook once he feels the QB, WRs, OL etc can consistently handle it and quite frankly they're still not there yet. Tannehill would kill for this kind of defense which only existed in his rookie season especially in prior years the D wouldn't have held up its end when we clawed a deficit back.

31. Jimi

Jimi The World Is Yours

Tanny had 7 INTs and 2 lost fumbles through 5 games last year. Please tell me more about the consistency.

Yessir likes this.
  32. Kdawg954

Kdawg954 Paint on My Hands from Paintin the Perfect Picture Finheaven VIP Donator

Truth is, many have thrown out those 5 games for Ryan and just look at the next 8.5 like those 5 never existed. The QB wasn't very good and neither was the offense around him (sounds familiar).

And Gase absolutely limited Ryan those first 5 games with similar reasoning to how he has handled the offense under Cutler this year through five games. He didn't trust the offensive line and they still were getting the system down.

Just how Gase is doing what he can to put Cutler in good spots, he was doing the same for Ryan last year.

The difference is starting with that Pittsburgh game you saw Tannehill's confidence grow and he start moving his legs in the pocket buying time and making plays, combined with his toughness he clearly made a jump at the position and became a star for this offense once Ajayi got going.

Jay Cutler already has that ability to manuever in the pocket through 5 games this year. Where he has struggled the most is accuracy and ball placement. We saw it on the INT to Carroo. That has gotta get better and Gase knows the only way that improves is with time. No he doesn't seem willing to take the hard shots that Ryan will so we aren't likely to see a throw to Kenny that we saw in the San Diego game from Ryan . . . But if he can just place the ball better we can continue to win games in a wide open NFL.

Avigatorx and Jimi like this.
  33. CaneHammer

CaneHammer Rookie

Cutler lost faith in the Oline in game 1. The moment he did that he quickly reverted back to piss poor footwork and not having enough faith to properly maneuver the pocket. It absolutely reminded me of RT17 playing behind the crap oline in the first 5 games last year. If Cutler gets his footwork back, his accuracy will come back. Having faith to stand in and climb the pocket does not flip back on like a light switch. Need some consistency in the oline. As a side note, anyone else notice the oline play got dramatically better once the oline coach is not doing blow in his office?

34. lurking

lurking FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

Four of those INT's were from him being hit while throwing.

35. Danny68

Danny68 Dolphins on 3! Super Donator Finheaven VIP Donator

36. lurking

lurking FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

I recall a lot of posters hanging their hat on the first five games,and never mention the 8 1/2 games.
    And Gase wasn't limiting play calls because of tannehill, it was because of the rest of the team not knowing their assignments. Gase said this himself.

37. Kdawg954

Kdawg954 Paint on My Hands from Paintin the Perfect Picture Finheaven VIP Donator

And Gase never said he was limiting play calls because of Cutler but because of execution of the offense in general.

Either way both quarterbacks had less than stellar starts under Gase through 5 games. Lets hope the light flicks on starting next week against the Jets like it did for Ryan in game 6.

38. Kdawg954

You mean plays where Cutler has eluded the rush for a boring incompletion?

The lack of sacks this year has everything to do with the QB. Now he is behind Ryan in a lot of ways but the way he improvises the pocket gives me a lot of hope if he can get his accuracy going.

39. VBCheeseGrater

VBCheeseGrater Optimist Homer Finheaven VIP

Plus he was playing from behind quite a few times as well, which will always help your int totals. That first loss to NE tannehill was balling, so it was not all piss poor early on as has been the case with Cutler. If he had this defense last year they would have been at least 12-4 if not better.

lurking likes this.
  40. Vaark

Vaark Nihil taurus crappus Finheaven VIP Donator

that was while he was acclimating/learning Gase's system - the 3rd or 4th since he's been here.

Once it kicked in, how did he do over his last 8 games again in terms of wins and top8 level stats again?