Daniel Jeremiah has Miami taking QB Josh Allen at pick 11 | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Daniel Jeremiah has Miami taking QB Josh Allen at pick 11

That is my biggest problem with Josh Allen, Just from watching "tape" (youtube lol) Ive noticed he abandons the pocket way too much. CK can you think of a NFL QB who had a similar college career as Josh Allen? Small school with stats that didn't light up the world? I know Big Ben had a pretty decorative college career. I'm just really curious.

Carson Wentz?

That is my biggest problem with Josh Allen, Just from watching "tape" (youtube lol) Ive noticed he abandons the pocket way too much. CK can you think of a NFL QB who had a similar college career as Josh Allen? Small school with stats that didn't light up the world? I know Big Ben had a pretty decorative college career. I'm just really curious.

The obvious is Carson Wentz. I mean people just generally have hazy memories about Wentz for whatever reason. But Allen is so strikingly similar to him, and it's hardly a coincidence. The same guy recruited both players. The same guy coached both players. That guy is sitting there telling you, yeah all the reasons I was attracted to Wentz are the same reasons I went and made Josh Allen the face of my football team for two years.

Mostly I see Wentz brought up in order to say, he and Josh Allen are not the same. I think it's mostly BS.

They'll say Wentz had a higher completion percentage. Indeed, he had a 62.5% completion (on 208 attempts) at North Dakota State, playing against FCS level defensive players, on a football team that was built to DOMINATE their level of competition. Allen had a 56.3% completion (on 270 attempts) at Wyoming against G5/P5 FBS competition, on a team that was built inferior to its level of competition.

That latter is so god damn important but the nay-sayers just want to ignore it altogether, which I don't find to be at all honest. There is absolutely no question that NDSU was built to dominate the FCS competition. They'd been to four straight FCS National Championship Games (winning three of them) before Wentz became the starter. And you know what? They just won again, this year, after Wentz is gone. He was throwing passes behind a dominant line, to dominant receivers, benefiting from a dominant ground game, with a dominant defense watching his back.

At Wyoming this year, Allen had a trash ground game, a shaky offensive line, and sophomore receivers that refused to create separation or come down with the football on tight window throws. And yet the difference between Wentz's 62.5% completion on 208 throws and Allen's 56.3% completion is like 13 complete passes. That's it! And people want to pretend it's like this unfathomable chasm of a difference.

In his last year, Wentz threw for like 1600 yards, 17 TDs and 4 INTs. This year, Allen threw for like 1800 yards, 16 TDs and 6 INTs.

That's not so different.

What also isn't different is the tape.

When Wentz was coming out the physical tools and play making skill overwhelmed the story, but it was damn clear as a bell he had some shaky footwork, too wide of a base, missed more throws than he should, and was DEFINITELY too risky with the football. He had a lot of passes that would've been intercepted at Group of Five level of competition, let alone Power Five or NFL.

But he had experience in a pro style system, overwhelming physical tangibles, great play-making ability on tape, and teams that interviews consistently GUSHED about what a great interview and intellect he was.

Guess what, all of that goes for Josh Allen as well. Same pro style system with same coaches. Overwhelming physical tangibles. Even more play-making ability on tape than Wentz. And since a year ago when Allen snuck into some pre-Draft events (forget if it was the Senior Bowl or Combine) in order to interview on the sly with NFL teams, those teams have been raving about him from a character/intellect standpoint. That's why he's been kept high by NFL clubs all year while everyone else lamented his poor season.

The obvious is Carson Wentz. I mean people just generally have hazy memories about Wentz for whatever reason. But Allen is so strikingly similar to him, and it's hardly a coincidence. The same guy recruited both players. The same guy coached both players. That guy is sitting there telling you, yeah all the reasons I was attracted to Wentz are the same reasons I went and made Josh Allen the face of my football team for two years.

Mostly I see Wentz brought up in order to say, he and Josh Allen are not the same. I think it's mostly BS.

They'll say Wentz had a higher completion percentage. Indeed, he had a 62.5% completion (on 208 attempts) at North Dakota State, playing against FCS level defensive players, on a football team that was built to DOMINATE their level of competition. Allen had a 56.3% completion (on 270 attempts) at Wyoming against G5/P5 FBS competition, on a team that was built inferior to its level of competition.

That latter is so god damn important but the nay-sayers just want to ignore it altogether, which I don't find to be at all honest. There is absolutely no question that NDSU was built to dominate the FCS competition. They'd been to four straight FCS National Championship Games (winning three of them) before Wentz became the starter. And you know what? They just won again, this year, after Wentz is gone. He was throwing passes behind a dominant line, to dominant receivers, benefiting from a dominant ground game, with a dominant defense watching his back.

At Wyoming this year, Allen had a trash ground game, a shaky offensive line, and sophomore receivers that refused to create separation or come down with the football on tight window throws. And yet the difference between Wentz's 62.5% completion on 208 throws and Allen's 56.3% completion is like 13 complete passes. That's it! And people want to pretend it's like this unfathomable chasm of a difference.

In his last year, Wentz threw for like 1600 yards, 17 TDs and 4 INTs. This year, Allen threw for like 1800 yards, 16 TDs and 6 INTs.

That's not so different.

What also isn't different is the tape.

When Wentz was coming out the physical tools and play making skill overwhelmed the story, but it was damn clear as a bell he had some shaky footwork, too wide of a base, missed more throws than he should, and was DEFINITELY too risky with the football. He had a lot of passes that would've been intercepted at Group of Five level of competition, let alone Power Five or NFL.

But he had experience in a pro style system, overwhelming physical tangibles, great play-making ability on tape, and teams that interviews consistently GUSHED about what a great interview and intellect he was.

Guess what, all of that goes for Josh Allen as well. Same pro style system with same coaches. Overwhelming physical tangibles. Even more play-making ability on tape than Wentz. And since a year ago when Allen snuck into some pre-Draft events (forget if it was the Senior Bowl or Combine) in order to interview on the sly with NFL teams, those teams have been raving about him from a character/intellect standpoint. That's why he's been kept high by NFL clubs all year while everyone else lamented his poor season.

I tried to tell everybody that was trashing him after the first 3 games of this season that it wasn't going to matter. He was an elite pro prospect no matter what he did. If you've ever watched him play, much less studied him....you already knew that. Everybody tends to overreact to a player on a game to game basis as it is. Always have. Always will.

Most people don't really understand what they're seeing when they watch a football game. It's just a fact. They're not supposed to.

The thing that makes me laugh the most is people asking over and over again, what makes this kid with a low completion percentage from a weak conference an elite quarterback prospect...

That right there already tells you they've never watched the kid play a single play.

It's too hard for them to get past the stats. That's the only way they're able to process football. There's no projection in that.

Using their logic, any quarterback with a high completion percentage from tough conferences are better pro prospects. Yep, let me know how that works out.

I remember watching a true freshman get his first career start for Texas A&M in the season opener in 2014...on the road in a tough environment taking on the Game****s of South Carolina. He was taking over for Johnny Football....kid by the name of Kenny Hill.

Hill completed over 70% of his passes that day...threw for over 500 yards and put up 52 points in a dominating performance. "Kenny Trill" was born that day. He would go on to complete nearly 67% of his passes that season and a nearly 3 to 1 touchdown to interception ratio in the SEC. Playing in a gimmick offense.

Of course he would transfer to TCU, and over the past 2 seasons has continued to complete about 65% of his passes, and maintain nearly that same 3/1 touchdown to interception ratio in the Big-12. In a gimmick offense.

Hill was invited to participate in the NFLPA All Star game last weekend, and asked to execute pro style concepts. No more gimmicks.

After a week of practice, I watched him try to take his first snap from under center after he entered the game to start the 3rd quarter...took the snap, tripped over his own feet while dropping back, fell down and fumbled the football. Defense recovered and scored a TD. The route was on from there as the National team blew out the American team.

But...look at his completion percentage. Look at the conference he played in.

People don't understand what Josh Allen has been doing, and how different it is from what the majority of everybody else has been doing. How it translates to Sunday football. All those passes his unrecruitable receiving talent drops because they simply can't handle a fastball that caliber.

Like I always say, there are lies, damn lies...and then there's statistics.

I think the only way Miami gets to Allen is with Cleveland at #1. Assuming the Browns sign a free agent QB and don't want 1 of the big 3. Allen is likely gone before #4.

Giants aren't moving off a QB at #2

Colts are possible if it's Browns/Darnold, Giants/Rosen and then you compete for an Allen deal at #3

Clearly it would be expensive and disruptive.

I like all 3 potential franchise QB's. Miami will likely need a top 3 pick to get one.

He was measured at 6-foot-4 and 7/8 inches. He weighed in at 237 pounds. His right hand is 10 1/8 inches. Those are all great numbers for an NFL quarterback.

Later, Allen was a gracious, polite and patient interview subject. The Wyoming graduate shook a lot of hands, looked people in the eye and remembered names. He was charming with the child reporter who interviewed him. He diplomatically answered questions about the terrifying possibility of becoming a Cleveland Brown. He did not treat the interview session like an ordeal.

Unfortunately for Allen, the day didn’t end there. Tuesday afternoon, there was practice. And let’s just say that he did very little to dispel concerns about his ability to throw the football accurately.

https://sports.yahoo.com/wyoming-qb-josh-allen-passes-eyeball-test-starts-throwing-025702572.html

Back
Top Bottom