Davone Bess is a Playmaker | Page 16 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Davone Bess is a Playmaker

Yeah wtf is WPA. I saw this thread show up on my tapatalk and had to load into the browser to see what the hell.. The **** is WPA? Worst player available?

It's basically an SPC (statistical process control) that proves exactly the opposite of what the OP thinks it does. The higher Bess' WPA, the more he gets the ball. The more he gets the ball, the less effective Miami's offense becomes. The less effective Miami's offense becomes, the less points Miami scores. The less points Miami scores, the less games they win.

He's managed to confuse the function of a play-executer for the ability of a play-maker.

His tendency is to get so lost in irrelevant statistics that it profoundly disregards his better judgement.

It's basically an SPC (statistical process control) that proves exactly the opposite of what the OP thinks it does. The higher Bess' WPA, the more he gets the ball. The more he gets the ball, the less effective Miami's offense becomes. The less effective Miami's offense becomes, the less points Miami scores. The less points Miami scores, the less games they win.

He's managed to confuse the function of a play-executer for the ability of a play-maker.

His tendency is to get so lost in irrelevant statistics that it profoundly disregards his better judgement.

Thread has just been killed. Feel free to copy and past this in the VIP version he made for some masochistic reason.

The higher Bess' WPA, the more he gets the ball. The more he gets the ball, the less effective Miami's offense becomes. The less effective Miami's offense becomes, the less points Miami scores. The less points Miami scores, the less games they win.
And that can be entirely true. However, the fault for that doesn't lie with Davone Bess. The fault for that lies with the composition of the talent around him, and how it represents a square peg in a round hole in terms of the offense Joe Philbin would like to run.

Davone Bess, while miscast in the role of nearly the primary receiver in an offense in which he should be one of many, nonetheless used his talent to make the plays he was called on to make, and those plays significantly increased his team's probability of winning. For that reason he was a playmaker, and he showed he has the talent to make those kinds of plays.

As I said in the original post, he's not someone you just shuffle off for a fourth-round pick. He has value because of the ability he's demonstrated.

and that is found in every one of the threads he starts or arguments he makes...although i'm not sure he has better judgement...to be honest

He should have re-posted it in the depths. That way we could stop dancing around the subject and just get real.

HUH?????? Now I'm even more confused!

and that is found in every one of the threads he starts or arguments he makes...although i'm not sure he has better judgement...to be honest
If you can't attack the evidence, attack the witness. If you can't attack the witness, bang on the table.

HUH?????? Now I'm even more confused!

I read it as: Slimm is saying that Bess executes the plays when his number is called, but does not have the ability to add the proverbial cherry on top.

In other words: If the play calls for a 5-7 yard pass, Bess will probably get 5-7 yards, maybe 8 if he falls forward. However, don't expect him to make a great move to take it to the house. Thus his example that Bess only has one catch over 40 yards in his career.

And the implication that more passes thrown to and caught by Bess does not translate into victories for the Miami Dolphins (which is obviously accurate), but weighs favorably to "WPA".

Slimm is saying that Bess executes the plays when his number is called, but does not have the ability to add the proverbial cherry on top.

In other words: If the play calls for a 5-7 yard pass, Bess will probably get 5-7 yards, maybe 8 if he falls forward. However, don't expect him to make a great move to take it to the house. Thus his example that Bess only has one catch over 40 yards in his career.

yeah and he was run down like a stampede on that play...

However, don't expect him to make a great move to take it to the house. Thus his example that Bess only has one catch over 40 yards in his career.
And Wes Welker has precisely 1.4% more of such receptions on his career, despite amassing the vast majority of those receptions with Brady, Moss, et al.

The point is that you don't trade away the Wes Welker in your Green Bay Packers' offense for a fourth-round pick just because he has only one 40+ yard catch on his career. Bess has more than the ability to make good on the role he'll have in Philbin's offense when surrounded by the likes of Wallace, Keller, and Gibson, and that ability is worth far more than a fourth-round pick.

i doubt you are getting a 4th rounder for bess anyways...if you can find a taker jump on it...

Back
Top Bottom