Davone Bess is a Playmaker | Page 14 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Davone Bess is a Playmaker

This whole Bess is a better playmaker than AJ Green idea is a WPA(weakly produced argument).

Let's be real for a minute here, anybody that is using a number rather than a player's obvious on-field ability needs to check the facts.

A) Davone Bess does not scare opposing defenses.
B) Miami has not been a perennial winner for decades.
C) Davone has had average production in Miami
D) Metrics are effective when used to coincide with other factors (such as speed, production, skillset, etc.). When it is used by itself, it comes off as foolish.
E) Using metrics like WPA is like talking about how far Penguins can fly. Like I said, metrics are much better used when they are compared with real factors, not just statistics.
F) Davone Bess is not a playmaker.

Bess is what he is. He's our third or fourth receiver in the four wide. Great at short route and moving the chains. i want him on my team but he doesn't compare with the elite play making wide outs. He is paid according so that's not just my opinion but the teams also.

He's not a play maker. He's a solid WR who moves the chains.
Uhh that is kinda the definition of play maker.

I agree with the OP, Bess is one of my favorite players who knows how to make the most of his ability. Bess is NOT a #2, and did not have a good year this year because he was asked to do what he can not be. But now that we have Wallace, and Hartline and Bess can go back to being what he does best, he is a very good slot WR. Slot WRs are about moving the chains, and Bess is a big game WR. All those highlights all seemed to be in the biggest games of the year. That is when he shows up. He is not going to break a lot of 80 yard TDs, he is not going to out run anyone, but he NEVER drops catchable balls and he is ALWAYS open in the slot.

You can't have superstars at every position. But Bess is the perfect role player and safety blanket for a team with several different weapons. He has the perfect attitude and is the perfect teacher for young WRs. He gets more out of what talent he does have than any other player on the team. He knows what he can do and what he can't, and that confidence comes through in the clutch when it matters most. Bess is the perfect 3rd or 4th WR. His salary is not too much and getting rid of him would be a huge mistake.

Calling Davone Bess a playmaker is the sort of thing that causes the word 'playmaker' to lose all meaning.

Career averages in 5 seasons: 64 rec, 689yds, 10.7avg, 2.4tds, 3.2fum

That's a playmaker? 10.7 career average yards per catch? More fumbles than touchdowns in his 5 year NFL career? This is what we call a 'playmaker' now?
You can average 80 yards a catch in mop up time when the game is already won or lost, and that does NOT make you a playmaker. A playmaker is someone who makes game changing, chain moving plays, when the game is on the line. Play makers want the ball in their hand when the game is on the line, and that is the definition of Bess. Wallace may put us in the position to stay in the game, but it will be Bess that will win it. That is why they were so quick to sign Gibson as well. He is a chain mover. Who cares what his YPC is if it is during a game that is already over.

You can average 80 yards a catch in mop up time when the game is already won or lost, and that does NOT make you a playmaker. A playmaker is someone who makes game changing, chain moving plays, when the game is on the line. Play makers want the ball in their hand when the game is on the line, and that is the definition of Bess. Wallace may put us in the position to stay in the game, but it will be Bess that will win it. That is why they were so quick to sign Gibson as well. He is a chain mover. Who cares what his YPC is if it is during a game that is already over.

This is what Finheaven posters actually believe.

Uhh that is kinda the definition of play maker.

I agree with the OP, Bess is one of my favorite players who knows how to make the most of his ability. Bess is NOT a #2, and did not have a good year this year because he was asked to do what he can not be. But now that we have Wallace, and Hartline and Bess can go back to being what he does best, he is a very good slot WR. Slot WRs are about moving the chains, and Bess is a big game WR. All those highlights all seemed to be in the biggest games of the year. That is when he shows up. He is not going to break a lot of 80 yard TDs, he is not going to out run anyone, but he NEVER drops catchable balls and he is ALWAYS open in the slot.

You can't have superstars at every position. But Bess is the perfect role player and safety blanket for a team with several different weapons. He has the perfect attitude and is the perfect teacher for young WRs. He gets more out of what talent he does have than any other player on the team. He knows what he can do and what he can't, and that confidence comes through in the clutch when it matters most. Bess is the perfect 3rd or 4th WR. His salary is not too much and getting rid of him would be a huge mistake.

You say he is a play maker, then you tell me this. :idk:

Back
Top Bottom