Davone Bess is a Playmaker | Page 13 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Davone Bess is a Playmaker

Bess annoys me. He's not as good as most fans want to believe and I've always maintained that we'll know we've turned the corner when we're desperate to upgrade that position, instead of settling for Bess.

That being said, I acknowledge there's a sliding scale in terms of Bess's value. For a weak team he's a disaster. You'll never steal cheap wins without creating big plays out of nowhere. Since we've been a poor team during his tenure, I never understood how he earned so much praise.

On a great team he'd have considerable value. Those teams find themselves in key games in which converting one third or fourth down can be all the difference. It doesn't matter how far the play goes Just give Brady a chance to line up again. It looked ridiculous in the Ravens game when Brady targeted Danny Woodhead a couple of times in those plays and Woodhead had no concept how to run the route.

If we're now a mediocre team instead of lower tier, I'd estimate Bess is worth somewhat more than many of us have been willing to concede. There will be one or two games in which things evolve well for him, like the Seahawks game last season.

I need to know what Jerry Rice's WPA was compared to Bess and Gibson. I bet we probably have two of the greatest WRs in NFL history on this roster, plus a few average ones like Mike Wallace.

I need to know what Jerry Rice's WPA was compared to Bess and Gibson. I bet we probably have two of the greatest WRs in NFL history on this roster, plus a few average ones like Mike Wallace.

Well, it does have statistics for 2000, 2001 and 2002. That's Rice's last year with the 49ers and his two really good years in Oakland. Average WPA of 1.5, so he was only about 3/4 as much of a playmaker as Gibson. He had a very pedestrian 26 touchdowns over that span.

Jerry Rice was massively overrated. He scored a lot of touchdowns and as everyone knows scoring touchdowns doesn't contribute that much to winning. When he dies I plan to visit his grave and **** on it as payback for being such a putz.

I see Bess had a WPA of -.26 in 2011, which really doesnt jive well with the notion that Bess is an elite playmaker and that Matt Moore is a franchise QB. Youre gonna have to concede something to me here.

Davone Bess had a WPA of -0.36 in 2011.

Does that mean he wasn't a playmaker two years ago, but was this year?

****. If we could compare Jake Long's WPA to Matt Ryan's we can settle that debate once and for all.

I LOVE this thread.

Anybody notice that Jim Brown and his 126 touchdowns has recently been confined to a wheelchair?

You're welcome.

I've been able to determine the Superbowl Champion for next season using WPA to calculate percentages based on factual statistical probabilities.. Nothing to see here anymore guys.. You can all go home.. See you next year. Thanks

Back
Top Bottom