DC Weavers Press Conference | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

DC Weavers Press Conference

I finally watched it. Excellent hire! I like him much better than Vic. I think that he will adapt to the players strengths unlike Vic.
He certainly comes across as that way.

Impressive opening conference IMO. Proof's in the pudding of course, but he's starting with a lot of good will from the fans I'd think. I just hope those fans keep in mind it won't be a day 1 finished product (again, this year). He's got to learn his guys, and his guys got to learn him...everybody's new. Give the man a chance to establish himself.

Its not hard to fathom there will be blown assignments and "WTF was that DB thinking??!" kinds of plays for a little while at least, but I don't think this guy will accept matador-style tackling.

I'm very much looking forward to the defense this year, to see how they progress and eventually dominate.

Except at LB. Long should not be the standard. Don't let the garbage we've had make him seem like a standout. Remember Zach Thomas, hell, Brian Cox. Those should be the standards
Hmmmmm........

ZT was an HOF player with the highest levels of instinct, commitment and drive. If that's your baseline, virtually every player we get will be a disappointment.
Cox was......OK for the time, but IDK that he would be a three down player today. Complete liability in coverage situations. That's not a knock on him. Just that it is a different era.

Kind of like when ppl harken back to an era when "smash mouth", power rushing and stout defense was a consistently viable winning recipe.

Much like the RB position, and not coincidentally, LBs have been devalued to a certain extent recently

Don't get me wrong, it's awesome if you have a great, do it all monster but most teams just do not see it as a priority that it once was.

Hmmmmm........

ZT was an HOF player with the highest levels of instinct, commitment and drive. If that's your baseline, virtually every player we get will be a disappointment.
Cox was......OK for the time, but IDK that he would be a three down player today. Complete liability in coverage situations. That's not a knock on him. Just that it is a different era.

Kind of like when ppl harken back to an era when "smash mouth", power rushing and stout defense was a consistently viable winning recipe.

Much like the RB position, and not coincidentally, LBs have been devalued to a certain extent recently

Don't get me wrong, it's awesome if you have a great, do it all monster but most teams just do not see it as a priority that it once was.
I'm not so sure....

The punch them in the mouth era is a bit different now. Instead of physically being overpowering, it is typically playing mistake free football, making your opponent pay the price for their mistakes and frankly running up the score. Different world but the game has evolved.

However, a LB that is dominant IMO can set the tone and attitude of a defense. That dominance now however has to include coverage and not just run stopping. When you think about how many times we have been burned by simple check downs to running backs and short crossing routes with our LB's nowhere to be seen it becomes obvious to me we need an upgrade.

The team I think that has a great corp of LB's is the 49's followed by the Ravens. Even in Buffalo, you think of Milano's role in that defense and how different they were when he got injured.

I don't see Baker or Long as leaders out there or significant play makers. They both have flashes.....but not very consistent and both are weak in coverage

I'm not so sure....

The punch them in the mouth era is a bit different now. Instead of physically being overpowering, it is typically playing mistake free football, making your opponent pay the price for their mistakes and frankly running up the score. Different world but the game has evolved.

However, a LB that is dominant IMO can set the tone and attitude of a defense. That dominance now however has to include coverage and not just run stopping. When you think about how many times we have been burned by simple check downs to running backs and short crossing routes with our LB's nowhere to be seen it becomes obvious to me we need an upgrade.

The team I think that has a great corp of LB's is the 49's followed by the Ravens. Even in Buffalo, you think of Milano's role in that defense and how different they were when he got injured.

I don't see Baker or Long as leaders out there or significant play makers. They both have flashes.....but not very consistent and both are weak in coverage
Chiefs LBs were great this year too.

I really like Weaver as a person. Good communicator, personable but tough, and wants to be a teacher. I dont know how well he is as a tactician, but it sound slike Mike D and Grier had in depth conversations with him about that. Feels like a good hire so far.

Loved McDaniels drum roll during the introduction lol what NFL coach does stuff like this 😆 🤣

I'm not so sure....

Roquon smith over Chubb?

I really like Weaver as a person. Good communicator, personable but tough, and wants to be a teacher. I dont know how well he is as a tactician, but it sound slike Mike D and Grier had in depth conversations with him about that. Feels like a good hire so far.
yup, he def won the press conference

Cautiously optimistic I would say, but that’s as far as I can go.

When we get to see if his scheme is structurally sound, can he call plays against top offensive coordinators, can he create a game plan especially against the top running qbs

We’ll see, not gonna get all excited until we see that proof.

Hell Fangio indicted himself before his team took the field imo.

Charismatic presser seems like a good person. I can see the fit within the organization and coaching mindset.
There's nothing to suggest stubbornness, passing blame, or lack of connectivity to the players.

Prepared for some drastic youth changes this year on defense if possible. Xavien will most def be replaced, and we could see either another rookie CB or more of Cam if he's any good alongside Jalen.

Back
Top Bottom