DC Weavers Press Conference | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

DC Weavers Press Conference

This I really like
I do as well, I think it's particularly important for the defensive coordinator attached to an offensive HC to be in the midst of his charges on the sideline, I'd be curious to know if this move down to the sideline is something Coach McD may have insisted upon. You would think communication has got to be smoother, the DC has the ability to directly flash signals to his green dot guy (and others) after the helmet shuts off, hell he can even yell stuff in. Huddle up with the whole defense in between series, hands on coaching in real time. This jives completely with every thing we've been hearing about Weaver and McD sharing a vision and I'm looking forward to seeing an animated sideline at all times. I dig it.

What an awesome quote from Weaver's presser-

“I think of coaching as service work….I can be a force multiplier with whoever it is around me….I want to be in service to them so they can absolutely get my best every day,” Dolphins DC Anthony Weaver.

HELL YES, you want that man on the sideline!

Having coached before, can't stress enough how important it is for everyone to be on the same page. Equally important, the players want to know you care about them, you really can't fake it. When they know you care about them as players and as people you can be as tough on them as you need to be and they'll be ok with it. From the interview, it sounds like both of these things are important to McDaniel and Weaver both, as well as other coaches. That is a pretty big win. Hearing the other info like using Ramsey as a chess piece, multiple defenses, and adjusting the defenses to fit personnel, opponents personnel, and changes during the game, why that's pure gold. I'm optimistic about the hire and changes!

He seems like a true leader and the opposite of McDaniel personality wise which could be a good thing.

I appreciated at 17:40ish that he emphasized you're a fool and you're behind if you don't incorporate analytics. However, I didn't like the qualifier that some of it needs to be filtered.

If you go that route it's like an excuse to overrule numbers via subjectivity. Yikes. That's why analytics exist in the first place.

Coaches need to ignore fans and media who squawk when analytics fail. College basketball teams have been hoisting up boatloads of 3 pointers for nearly 30 years. That's analytics. It requires far lesser connect percentage when the reward is 3 and not 2. Fans have become accustomed to that type of thing. There is very little squawking, especially compared to late '80s when it was new and some fans/media did rant upon a barrage of empty 3 pointers.

We've seen basketball teams win titles thanks to 3 point shooting and specifically a late 3 pointer. Football fans don't have 25+ years of the new math. That's why they squawk when a 4th down aggressive decision fails. Football fans are more prone to squawk anyway. They want every decision to work. Dan Campbell took a very flawed team with a jettisoned quarterback to the brink of the Super Bowl. He would have been there if not for dropped passes, especially 3rd quarter while up 24-14. I appreciated that he totally ignored the subjective goofs who ranted against those 4th down calls. I just wish he had taken it a step further and matter of factly said that anyone who disagrees with those calls doesn't know what they are looking at. Eventually we'll have NFL coaches who are confident enough to do that. College basketball coaches like Rick Pitino weren't shy about doing it when their approach was questioned.

I appreciated at 17:40ish that he emphasized you're a fool and you're behind if you don't incorporate analytics. However, I didn't like the qualifier that some of it needs to be filtered.

If you go that route it's like an excuse to overrule numbers via subjectivity. Yikes. That's why analytics exist in the first place.

Coaches need to ignore fans and media who squawk when analytics fail. College basketball teams have been hoisting up boatloads of 3 pointers for nearly 30 years. That's analytics. It requires far lesser connect percentage when the reward is 3 and not 2. Fans have become accustomed to that type of thing. There is very little squawking, especially compared to late '80s when it was new and some fans/media did rant upon a barrage of empty 3 pointers.

We've seen basketball teams win titles thanks to 3 point shooting and specifically a late 3 pointer. Football fans don't have 25+ years of the new math. That's why they squawk when a 4th down aggressive decision fails. Football fans are more prone to squawk anyway. They want every decision to work. Dan Campbell took a very flawed team with a jettisoned quarterback to the brink of the Super Bowl. He would have been there if not for dropped passes, especially 3rd quarter while up 24-14. I appreciated that he totally ignored the subjective goofs who ranted against those 4th down calls. I just wish he had taken it a step further and matter of factly said that anyone who disagrees with those calls doesn't know what they are looking at. Eventually we'll have NFL coaches who are confident enough to do that. College basketball coaches like Rick Pitino weren't shy about doing it when their approach was questioned.
so in your opinion under no circumstance do you hunch it? As in context and making a call based on that context? Always follow the numbers ?

I hate to be the kind of wow can't wait to see this transformed great defense and yet I hesitate. I was too excited when Fangio came aboard and watched some horrible defensive games as it seemed like that was a Jekyll and Hyde defense. Watching Ramsey early on get amazing interceptions only to not see them come any more after two or watching and looking for Holland.... when Fangio's defense, he was supposed to help him be a great ball hawk.

I hope Weaver is the answer and hope every addition always helps take these fins over the top.

I also think the defense is not going to be as good as last year........YIKES .....convince me I am wrong!!!!!!

- reasons are:
1. The injuries that will linger (Phillips, Chubb, maybe Holland?)
2. Did we see a Ramsey who was electric coming into his first few games as a Fin. Then, he became lethargic and rode the paycheck???? Or is it he just was not thrown at anymore??? Can't be the last one as I remember many down the stretch that he seemed to be in coverage. Please correct me and give me hope there!!!!!
3. Weaver did not have a great defense in Houston was it?
4. The Baltimore smash unit----- they have those guys that have that mentality. We have finesse defenders with talent and maybe some egos. I still think their egos are why Chubb got hurt, not wanting to come out of a game that was lost and wanting to prove they could stop the Ravens. I hope I am again wrong!!!!
5. We will lose some good defenders to FA and may not replace them easily
6. Top draft picks are likely going to Oline as they should.

I guess I will wait and see and truly hope that I can join a Weaver train

when its not all about words and more about execution and results.

170805067283459966.png

Good hire I'm excited to seem him make are defense better.He seems like a guy that's learn a lot in his journey.And learn from some great coaches.

When Staley was being mentioned as Fangio's potential replacement, I was really concerned. So far, I'm pretty excited about the Weaver addition. Having that background in Baltimore is awesome as that defense does it right.

Using Ramsey in different ways just makes sense (Staley did that too). Interesting that Weaver mentioned Wilkins. I know there are a lot of opinions out there, but if Miami lets him go the defense is going to dip IMO.

As an aside, I think Weaver could have it rough in the beginning of the season. I hope fans recognize that and we don't see the "fire Weaver" threads early!
Last year should've taught this lesson, but you can bet your ass those threads will happen.

Some of us preached early and often, "give it time," with the defense last year...and it progressed like we thought it would...was very good by the last quarter of the season.

Except at LB. Long should not be the standard. Don't let the garbage we've had make him seem like a standout. Remember Zach Thomas, hell, Brian Cox. Those should be the standards
You are selling David Long short, no pun intended. David Long did a great job this season. I think he can be even more effective playing in a better scheme, and hopefully with an upgrade in talent at the other linebacker positions.

Back
Top Bottom