Death of a Finatic (symbolic) | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Death of a Finatic (symbolic)

Yea, I pretty much disagree with everything in that article Gase was brought into it.

1. Gase took the heat WAY more then any HC would probably be expected to take, going back to last year.

2. If whomever wrote this thinks that Shula would hold back after a game where players did not execute, or had too many penalties, then seems to me that this person forgets how Shula worked. Shula might not use the I called a perfect game, and we did not execute, but he would go off, and the next day, players would be packing.

If this person who wrote this would just stand back a little, and just take a breath, he would see that this is just another tactic used by Gase to save a season. Gase is unwilling to give up on a season, and is tired of players not doing their job...he took the heat too long, players need to get the Job done, because he's right, Miami should have won that game.

Exactly!!! Some would rather have the players run the team apparently. Do we ever want to keep a head coach and see what our team looks like after he's made his mark? It's one thing if we pulled a Cam Cameron but come on guys..The man is 14-10 as the Head Coach and has won 13 out of 19 with a playoff berth in his first season.

So the guy remembers games from the 70s but doesn't remember a game two weeks ago with the subsequent admission by Gase that he cut the playbook down to a bare minimum because his players don't get it? So much for not creating plays to the strength of your players.
What kind of tailored game plan can you have when one of your best receivers has no clue where to be on the field on a very easy play call and had to get yelled at by the QB?

Now let's straighten good ol' Finatic Bob's selective memory a little.
Shula was a great coach, no doubt, but he was also very flawed. His "adjusting" playbooks to personal was one of the reasons Dan never got his ring. He rode Marino's arm all mthe way to the bitter end of his coaching career. He never attempted to make a serious effort to get a running game. Our OL was purely pass protect. That's all he banked on.
- Jim Kelly (Thurman Thomas)
- Troy Aikman (Emmit Smith)
- John Elways (Terrel Davis)
- Payton Manning (Edgerin James)

Shula was never interested in adding a running game. He was piss poor loyal to coaches (Olivadetti) and lacked the vision that the game had changed from Marino's first two years. You either have to have a mobile QB (Young and Montana) with a complementary RB or have an old fashion pocket passer with a franchise RB.
We were good enough to make the playoffs but never good enough to make it back to the Superbowl.
In 1995 Huizenga gave Shula his final run. He gave him everything he needed. We signed 13 former first round draft picks but Shula could not get the Dolphins past a 9-7 record and another first round loss. The game outlived him by a few years.

Trashing on JJ is a 20/20 hindsight (with suppressed facts). JJ was the right choice. The Dolphins needed another big name following Shula. JJ had the reputation down here (from his Hurricanes days) and was a successful NFL coach. But he stepped into something which had an unwanted side effect from Shula's last year. Dead cap money. The 1995 season cost us so much that JJ was cash strapped for his entire tenure as coach. It was so bad that we still paid Brian Cox while he was already playing with the NY Jets.
JJ could never get the defense he wanted.
And Marino? He essentially abandoned us because he was the baby everybody knew he was. Wannstedt made clear to him that he would ask for less from him but would like to establish a running game (which was JJ's dream as well). But the spoiled brat he was and Marino not realizing that his arm is getting a little weaker and the little mobility he had slowly diminishing he rather quit on us instead of helping a new coach having a smooth transition. The end.
While Shula and Marino will always be the greatest coach/QB tandem we have had and will be engraved in our history forever we cannot overlook the flaws and that, in the end, they were themselves part of the reason of our problems.

Wannstedt was a crappy coach no doubt. But the chance we had to turn the franchise around came in 2005. For me that will always be the moment we missed a great opportunity. Listing crappy coaches is one thing. We all can do that. But why did we have all these crappy coaches? That's what separates you from an uninformed Finatic and an informed Finatic.

In 2005 Huizenga talked to Ron Wolf, one of the great minds of football. If I am a team owner and one of the great minds of football gives me advice I better listen. Wolf recommended a young up and coming executive he used to work with during his Green Bay days: Ted Thompson. But Huizenga loves big names and disregarded the advice and hired the college football "bombshell" Saban and a weak GM in Mueller. Saban was in charge and Mueller went along for the ride. Saban bombed and Mueller was a shell. So we went from Mueller to Ireland to Hickey to Grier (and throw in Parcell for a good mix of garbage) and on the coaching front we went from bad to worse to underground vomit.

So what did Ted Thompson do? He talked to another team and they were happy to take him as a GM (also recommended by Wolf). He got his new team a new franchise QB, a capable coach, drafted players who love to play for the team. 9 seasons out of 11 they made the playoffs, won the Superbowl once during that time and is every year a team you have to beat to get to the playoffs and/or Superbowl.
The Green Bay Packers of the last 11 years are the Miami Dolphins North.

So, what have we learned today Finatical Bob?
a) there is a reason why we are where we are.
b) as much as we love Shula and Marino they both were the biggest hurdle to climb over. As they say: when your strength becomes your weakness...
c) not every shiny object is gold.
d) facts are a very complicated thing
e) now you are an informed finatical

After things stay in house for over a year, its time to take another approach.

Exactly right!! The Ajayi issue had been dating back to last season. I'm sure Gase got tired of arguing with someone who was supposed to put team first and his inferior. Since when have we stuck up for a complainer (after W's!!) over a Head Coach?

I actually thought Sunday night was the best game plan Gase has put forth this season. All it was missing was the deep ball. The penalties killed what would have probably been a win, IMO.

When you're down 20-16 and you get the ball at midfield twice, and immediately get hit with 10 yard penalties both possessions.... Well.... Self explanatory. And those weren't penalties due to lack of discipline. Those penalties were simply **** offensive linemen getting beat and being forced to hold so their QB isn't hospitalized.
I would give them a break on the deep ball. Not sure how good throwing deep balls with cracked ribs is.

Gase actually game planed to the strength of his players the last game. He only went downfield a couple times because it may put him in painful agony. He used a lot of passes to the RBs. But even a scrapped playbook tailored for the players seems to be to complicated for some (i.e. Landry). All the false starts? And the holding calls? My goodness.

I thought a member of the site had died. I don't think the word death should be used in a header unless further words hint where we're going.

Shula should never have been praised for tilting pass happy with Marino. That choice eroded our foundation and legitimacy and made the Marino era essentially an insult. I was in Las Vegas during those years. The Dolphins weren't respected at all. Every handicapper I knew was laughing at the self-inflicted frailties of the team and targeting spots to bet against Miami. You could do it well in advance. Those targeted games worked in very high percentage. It's always a bizarre disconnect when I read how those Marino years are viewed here or on other Dolphin fan sites compared to what I was experiencing.

Gase lost me yesterday in that press conference when he got snippy with the reporters regarding lack of deep balls. He claimed they were taken away by coverage. At this point we've reached a sample size in which opposing team strategy doesn't matter. There is tons of variety, within each game and from opponent to opponent. You have made your own choices, for whatever reason.

Al Davis in his defiant aggressive prime didn't fall for that safe underneath garbage. I forget the exact quote but it was something like, "We don't take what the defense gives us. We take what we want."

I read the thread title and thought one of our members had passed away. Glad I was wrong.

I then read the article and now wish I had just ignored the whole thread to begin with.

Exactly!!! Some would rather have the players run the team apparently. Do we ever want to keep a head coach and see what our team looks like after he's made his mark? It's one thing if we pulled a Cam Cameron but come on guys..The man is 14-10 as the Head Coach and has won 13 out of 19 with a playoff berth in his first season.

Well said.

I would like to hear it from one guy, just one guy, who says Gase's criticism is unfounded. I am confident that those who are working their butts off, who know the playbook, and their assignments would welcome someone coming down on those that don't. Busted assignments, turnovers, and penalties will most likely ruin any chances for a win. As it was pointed out, some things you can't control such as a great play, and forced fumble, by the defense; however, wouldn't it be nice if everyone was working on the things they can control like knowing what route to run, or whom to block?

I agree it is, but he is responsible for realizing these mistakes with these players are not going to just vanish. It is up to him to create a gameplan and call plays to mask as much weakness as he can while trying to create any mismatch he can. It seems for the most part he keeps doing the same thing and expecting different results.
I am encouraged by using the backs out of the backfield which likely played a hand in opening up Thomas. Now lets include wideouts next game

So the guy remembers games from the 70s but doesn't remember a game two weeks ago with the subsequent admission by Gase that he cut the playbook down to a bare minimum because his players don't get it? So much for not creating plays to the strength of your players.
What kind of tailored game plan can you have when one of your best receivers has no clue where to be on the field on a very easy play call and had to get yelled at by the QB?

Now let's straighten good ol' Finatic Bob's selective memory a little.
Shula was a great coach, no doubt, but he was also very flawed. His "adjusting" playbooks to personal was one of the reasons Dan never got his ring. He rode Marino's arm all mthe way to the bitter end of his coaching career. He never attempted to make a serious effort to get a running game. Our OL was purely pass protect. That's all he banked on.
- Jim Kelly (Thurman Thomas)
- Troy Aikman (Emmit Smith)
- John Elways (Terrel Davis)
- Payton Manning (Edgerin James)

Shula was never interested in adding a running game. He was piss poor loyal to coaches (Olivadetti) and lacked the vision that the game had changed from Marino's first two years. You either have to have a mobile QB (Young and Montana) with a complementary RB or have an old fashion pocket passer with a franchise RB.
We were good enough to make the playoffs but never good enough to make it back to the Superbowl.
In 1995 Huizenga gave Shula his final run. He gave him everything he needed. We signed 13 former first round draft picks but Shula could not get the Dolphins past a 9-7 record and another first round loss. The game outlived him by a few years.

Trashing on JJ is a 20/20 hindsight (with suppressed facts). JJ was the right choice. The Dolphins needed another big name following Shula. JJ had the reputation down here (from his Hurricanes days) and was a successful NFL coach. But he stepped into something which had an unwanted side effect from Shula's last year. Dead cap money. The 1995 season cost us so much that JJ was cash strapped for his entire tenure as coach. It was so bad that we still paid Brian Cox while he was already playing with the NY Jets.
JJ could never get the defense he wanted.
And Marino? He essentially abandoned us because he was the baby everybody knew he was. Wannstedt made clear to him that he would ask for less from him but would like to establish a running game (which was JJ's dream as well). But the spoiled brat he was and Marino not realizing that his arm is getting a little weaker and the little mobility he had slowly diminishing he rather quit on us instead of helping a new coach having a smooth transition. The end.
While Shula and Marino will always be the greatest coach/QB tandem we have had and will be engraved in our history forever we cannot overlook the flaws and that, in the end, they were themselves part of the reason of our problems.

Wannstedt was a crappy coach no doubt. But the chance we had to turn the franchise around came in 2005. For me that will always be the moment we missed a great opportunity. Listing crappy coaches is one thing. We all can do that. But why did we have all these crappy coaches? That's what separates you from an uninformed Finatic and an informed Finatic.

In 2005 Huizenga talked to Ron Wolf, one of the great minds of football. If I am a team owner and one of the great minds of football gives me advice I better listen. Wolf recommended a young up and coming executive he used to work with during his Green Bay days: Ted Thompson. But Huizenga loves big names and disregarded the advice and hired the college football "bombshell" Saban and a weak GM in Mueller. Saban was in charge and Mueller went along for the ride. Saban bombed and Mueller was a shell. So we went from Mueller to Ireland to Hickey to Grier (and throw in Parcell for a good mix of garbage) and on the coaching front we went from bad to worse to underground vomit.

So what did Ted Thompson do? He talked to another team and they were happy to take him as a GM (also recommended by Wolf). He got his new team a new franchise QB, a capable coach, drafted players who love to play for the team. 9 seasons out of 11 they made the playoffs, won the Superbowl once during that time and is every year a team you have to beat to get to the playoffs and/or Superbowl.
The Green Bay Packers of the last 11 years are the Miami Dolphins North.

So, what have we learned today Finatical Bob?
a) there is a reason why we are where we are.
b) as much as we love Shula and Marino they both were the biggest hurdle to climb over. As they say: when your strength becomes your weakness...
c) not every shiny object is gold.
d) facts are a very complicated thing
e) now you are an informed finatical

I wouldnt mind seeing some cites to the information you are claiming as facts. Particularly the Ron Wolf conversation and JJ having his hands tied.

The only crybaby I've heard stories about is the epic plane ride home after the Jags game. Yea, the one where JJ up and quit on the team.

Let the old man vent over his frustrations, no need to rip everything he says in order to defend certain former members of this organization.

We are last in almost all offensive categories in the league. Do we have the dumbest, lazyest, most unprofessional, untalented, undisciplined players in the league. I don't think so. What's left, its coaching. Sometimes things are not that complicated.

I wouldnt mind seeing some cites to the information you are claiming as facts. Particularly the Ron Wolf conversation and JJ having his hands tied.

The only crybaby I've heard stories about is the epic plane ride home after the Jags game. Yea, the one where JJ up and quit on the team.

Let the old man vent over his frustrations, no need to rip everything he says in order to defend certain former members of this organization.
It is not that easy to find articles from back then. The Sun Sentinel and Palm Beach Post did report on these things in their hardcopies. Unfortunately online archives often don't go back that far.

I did find a couple links from 2004/2005
Here is one article:
http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/2004-01-09/sports/0401090020_1_ron-wolf-dolphins-packers

and here is a newspaper clipping from the Post
THOMPSON 1.jpg THOMPSON 2.jpg

In regards to the salary cap I only found a Sports Illustrated link. Back then the Sun Sentinel ran the numbers year-by-year.

salary cap 1996.jpg

https://www.si.com/vault/1998/08/17...-ready-to-showcase-the-teams-homegrown-talent

That has to do for now.

The thing though is that these issues were well known back in the 90s and 2000s. These are no insider secrets and/or grabbed out-of-the-blue reports. And simply to understand where we are right now you have to go back and look at the route we have taken.

Back
Top Bottom