detroit wont take cutler-martz | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

detroit wont take cutler-martz

From Kipers mail bag;

While I'm not totally sold on quarterback Jay Cutler, would the Raiders think about taking him with the sixth pick, or are they going to address the quarterback position through free agency? -- Aaron, Muncie, Ind.
They won't address it in the draft. Remember, last year they drafted Andrew Walter in the third round. He is their kind of quarterback, someone who is tall and can throw the deep ball. There's no reason for them to go back and draft a QB.

Plus, the Raiders have so many other needs. Oakland needs an outside linebacker, which is why Hawk would make so much sense. They also could use a defensive lineman, so Williams would make sense, as well. The Raiders should have two great options on defense where they are picking. QB Kerry Collins is going to move on, and I think Oakland will look to bring in a veteran QB. There are options out there who they can bring in rather than draft another quarterback, especially when they have Walter, a player who seems to have promise.

fishypete said:
From Kipers mail bag;

While I'm not totally sold on quarterback Jay Cutler, would the Raiders think about taking him with the sixth pick, or are they going to address the quarterback position through free agency? -- Aaron, Muncie, Ind.
They won't address it in the draft. Remember, last year they drafted Andrew Walter in the third round. He is their kind of quarterback, someone who is tall and can throw the deep ball. There's no reason for them to go back and draft a QB.

Plus, the Raiders have so many other needs. Oakland needs an outside linebacker, which is why Hawk would make so much sense. They also could use a defensive lineman, so Williams would make sense, as well. The Raiders should have two great options on defense where they are picking. QB Kerry Collins is going to move on, and I think Oakland will look to bring in a veteran QB. There are options out there who they can bring in rather than draft another quarterback, especially when they have Walter, a player who seems to have promise.

Good news

fishypete said:
Why don't you ask for a million dollars? How can you give that stat when they don't keep that kind of stat? Unless you watch every game tape he has ever played....thats the only way you'd be able to get that one...and as I said...I've seen enough 30-50 yd throws from him,that were on the money to know...it won't be a problem...any QB that can throw for 65% completion rating and have a 9.3 yds per att avg....which is one of the highest in all college football, is good enough for me and most any other fair minded people. By the way...I guess you spoke with 99% of the team scouts to know that...in a pigs eye my friend. First off...no scout is going to tell you anything near the truth...not this time of year...and especially if they want to keep working as a scout.

I agree here fishy, besides, statistics are for card dealers ( i mean that in the nicest sense and nothing personal). But getting back to Culpepper and Young. The main thing I was thinking about here was there size! Culpepper was like 6-4 260 lbs coming out and was known as a runner and is why he went in the 1st round from a small school. Young is 6-5 235 but with better moves/legs and the moxy of a champion.

But CK, when we played Atlanta, you couldnt help but defend Vick all day about his passing abilities or him being a great QB but yet you have a problem with Young. I dont get it. Young will be lightyears ahead of Vick in everything.

ckparrothead said:
Martz and Harrington are a pretty good marriage. Harrington is a very cerebral, smart quarterback and Martz will help him translate his smarts onto the field. They paid up to get Martz IMO so that they don't have to take Cutler. So, I agree with you there.

However, that's not the main outcome of this move. The main outcome of this move is that they WILL NOT select Vince Young. Never in a million years now.

IMO, the Lions will never get the chance to take Cutler. I think Tennessee will take Cutler at #3...possibly even the Saints at #2. If Tennessee has a choice between Leinart and Young, they take Leinart cuz of Chow. I firmly believe that. If they have a choice between Cutler and Young, they take Jay Cutler or they trade down to get out of the pick. I firmly believe that as well. Vince Young just DOES NOT fit Norm Chow's offense. It's like chocalate ice cream and onions. It's actually pretty lucky for the Titans that nobody is really talking about that...cuz it makes a trade down possible.

The question to me now becomes will the Jets pass on Young at #4, and will the Cardinals pass on him at #9, because there's no way Young will end up a Detroit Lion with Mike Martz signed to a $1.5 mil/year deal as OC. I think the Jets take Ferguson over Young. I think the Cardinals take LenDale in Glendale before Young, because Vince doesn't fit Denny Green's vertical passing game. Green does not favor running QBs, because they minimize the stable of talent in the WR group, and he's accumulate a pretty nice stable of talent in Larry Fitzgerald, Anquan Boldin, and Bryant Johnson.

This move convinces me more than ever that Vince Young will be available at #16. Before I probably felt there was about a 30% chance of Young being available at #16...now I put the chances about 50%.

I just don't see how a team wouldn't either trade up for him, or a team take him purely based on talent alone before he gets to 16.

I'll admit some of the later teams don't necessarily need a QB, but someone will fall in love with his talent before he got to 16 because it would be assumed Miami would take him.

Just my opinion on it all.

Young showed more passing the ball in college than Vick has shown in his entire NFL career.

Vick is a hype machine, Young has the ability to actually live up to the hype but he is also a huge risk.

I'm not sure Young is anywhere near as fast as Vick either. They're different players really.

I'm one of the people that would take Vince if he was there at 16, which I think will be around a 30-40% chance.

I like that fact that Mularkey has a good record with QB's of Young's ilk in Stewart. Hopefully if we get him Mularkey can make him into a top NFL passer as well as runner.

Too bad Martz or Marinelli don't have any personnel power. It all lies with Matt Millen & what he wants to do.

I agree that Martz will try making Harrington into a good QB. With the receivers Detroit has, I think Martz will soon have Harrington putting up similar numbers to Bulger. Detroit has some talent on offense. Heck, I'm thinking Harrington is a GREAT sleeper for FANTASY leagues next year.

Yeah, I agree. Martz wants to burnish his image as a miracle worker with the Lions in '06 so he can get back into that big head coaching elite. My bet is he'll not want to burn half a year tutoring a rookie.

I also think Jeff Garcia has no future in the Greatest How on Turf II they'll be trying to build (and, no, I don't want Garcia anywhere near the Fins, either). Smart money says Martz tells the world whether Harrington (or Orlavsky) is the real deal- once and for all.

Back
Top Bottom