"Disease of Me" | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

"Disease of Me"

mikethewreck

Just a fan...
Reaction score
One of the things I like about the Fins is their relative down-to-earth approach. Even Brandon Marshall is talking like he doesn't want to do the diva dance. But a respected NFL observer (Mike Lombardi) has a different take on another AFCE team:

1. The Jets and cornerback Darrelle Revis are set to begin contract talks, and the word I’m hearing is that Revis and his agent, Neil Schwartz, are looking for an average that exceeds $20 million per year — which will make the contract rather hard to do. Schwartz and Jets GM Mike Tannenbaum don’t have the smoothest of relationships (that’s putting it mildly) as evidenced by the negotiation over Revis’ rookie contract. This will not be an easy contract to get done, especially anytime soon.
The Jets have several players waiting on new deals, from center Nick Mangold to offensive tackle D’Brickawshaw Ferguson. It will be a huge challenge for the Jets to get deals done for all their players, and don’t forget that quarterback Mark Sanchez signed a five-year deal last year. If he plays well, they’ll have to deal with a new deal for him in the next two years.
Winning makes doing contracts tougher. The “Disease of Me” is in play in New York. In case you forgot the meaning:
THE DISEASE OF ME
THE DISEASE OF ME = THE DEFEAT OF US
SIX DANGER SIGNALS OF THE DISEASE OF ME:
1. CHRONIC FEELINGS OF UNDER APPRECIATION – FOCUS ON ONESELF.
2. PARANOIA OVER BEING CHEATED OUT OF ONE’S RIGHTFUL SHARE.
3. LEADERSHIP VACUUM RESULTING FROM FORMATION OF CLIQUES AND RIVALRIES.
4. FEELINGS OF FRUSTRATION EVEN WHEN THE TEAM PERFORMS SUCCESSFULLY.
5. PERSONAL EFFORT MUSTERED SOLELY TO OUTSHINE ONE’S TEAMMATE.
6. RESENTMENT OF THE COMPETENCE OF ANOTHER – REFUSE TO ADMIT HIS CONTRIBUTION.
"The most difficult thing for individuals to do when they become part of a team is to sacrifice; it is much easier to be selfish."
Coach Pat Riley
L.A. Lakers – N.Y. Knicks – Miami Heat

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Sunday-at-the-Post-7875.html

Do you see the Dolphins as being pretty free of "me-itis"? The Jests?

Yup, guys with contracts coming to the end wanting a new contract clearly shows a disease has infested the Jets locker room. What a turd of an article.

Yup, guys with contracts coming to the end wanting a new contract clearly shows a disease has infested the Jets locker room. What a turd of an article.

This season is the best chance the Jets have at winning a title. They are going to lose a lot of players over next off-season.

Looking at the 6 definitions of "me-itis", I don't see that the Dolphins are headed down that road. They have dumped several of the "me-oriented" players off the roster and brought in hard-working, high motor, down-to-earth players. The one who I will be watching is Marshall. If he does what he says he will do, to not be a diva but a hard-working receiver, I think we will be just fine.

$20 mil a year? Don't get me wrong, Revis is CRAZY good as a CB, but (IF THAT IS TRUE, big if) that kind of money makes it hard to have a good team around you. I like the teams where players temper their individual demands so that they can have a good team that will achieve great things. That's Peyton Manning money (what #18's next contract will probably be for). I don't know Revis is as valuable to the Jests as Manning is to the Colts.

Looking at the 6 definitions of "me-itis", I don't see that the Dolphins are headed down that road. They have dumped several of the "me-oriented" players off the roster and brought in hard-working, high motor, down-to-earth players. The one who I will be watching is Marshall. If he does what he says he will do, to not be a diva but a hard-working receiver, I think we will be just fine.

$20 mil a year? Don't get me wrong, Revis is CRAZY good as a CB, but (IF THAT IS TRUE, big if) that kind of money makes it hard to have a good team around you. I like the teams where players temper their individual demands so that they can have a good team that will achieve great things. That's Peyton Manning money (what #18's next contract will probably be for). I don't know Revis is as valuable to the Jests as Manning is to the Colts.

Then again. If you are the best or second best at what you do, wouldn't you want as much money as possible. Some men play the game for money and some play for the love of the game. And some play for both.

Then again. If you are the best or second best at what you do, wouldn't you want as much money as possible. Some men play the game for money and some play for the love of the game. And some play for both.
Just not the Jests....

It's one thing to get paid, it's another thing to break the bank.
In 2009, the Raiders re-signed Asomugha to a complex three-year deal that made him the highest paid defensive back in NFL history. The first two years, worth $28.5 million, are fully guaranteed. In the third year of the contract, if Oakland wants to keep Asomugha, it must pay him the average of the top five highest-paid quarterbacks or $16.875 million, whichever is higher.

20 mil is a big step up even from Asomugha...wow.

If he held out, I would just rather trade the guy for 2 firsts if I were them. I don't care who you are, you can't just ask to be 1/6 of the entire team's salary.

well the question is if the 20 mil a year is his base salary or if it includes all possible bonuses and whatnot.

If he held out, I would just rather trade the guy for 2 firsts if I were them. I don't care who you are, you can't just ask to be 1/6 of the entire team's salary.
If they were smart (and still have money) they would pay out during the season with a very front loaded contract!

Luckily they won't.

The Jets did a horrible job of managing their salary cap in signing all these high priced free agents the past two years. Now Revis wants 20+/year.. who does he think he is! NO player oos worth that.. Im not even sure Manning is worth 20+ million/year... At least we know the realm of fictional life still is inherent in the Jets lockeroom

The Jets did a horrible job of managing their salary cap in signing all these high priced free agents the past two years. Now Revis wants 20+/year.. who does he think he is! NO player is worth that.. I'm not even sure Manning is worth 20+ million/year... At least we know the realm of fictional life still is inherent in the Jets locker room

I think that was Lombardi's point...

It seems to me the Phins have been quietly signing "anti-me" (especially after the first round) and firing "me" players since the Trifecta got here. I think Marshall is the key for the locker room this year. If he leaves whatever diva rep he had in Denver, I think we'll be okay. (I also think for a WR, Marshall's "diva-ness" is debatable. He plays the game hard.)

The Jets did a horrible job of managing their salary cap in signing all these high priced free agents the past two years. Now Revis wants 20+/year.. who does he think he is! NO player oos worth that.. Im not even sure Manning is worth 20+ million/year... At least we know the realm of fictional life still is inherent in the Jets lockeroom

Including bonuses, three guys made 20mil+ last season. Rivers, Cutler, E. Manning. And in 2004, including a 34.5m signing bonus, P. Manning made 35 mil that season. in 2007 Dwight Freeney made 30+ mil that season, including bonuses.

And last season, the Jets had the 9th lowest median salary while the Dolphins had the 16th lowest. And the Dolphins had the 2nd highest payroll last season, behind the Giants. The Jets had the 6th highest.

Back
Top Bottom