Does anyone remember when Jay first came... | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Does anyone remember when Jay first came...

A.J. Feeley should be the starter, and he should be getting all of the first team reps NOW. By starting Jay Fiedler, the only thing that is accomplished is limiting the offense. Jay Fiedler's limitations far outweigh his so called "intangibles" and toughness. Feeley has the upside. He's younger, has a much better arm, and is more accurate on the downfield throws. With Feeley, Miami will potentially have the ability to attack down the field off the play action. This is something they will never have with Jay Fiedler. With Feeley, Miami will be able to attack the sidelines with the out patterns, something else Fiedler's limitations will not allow. With Feeley, Miami will be able to attack down the middle of the field, which is another area Fiedler's limitations will not allow him to attack.

Basically, Feeley gives the Dolphins the ability to open up the passing game not in a total pass attempt sense, but in a attacking the entire field sense.

Why would you want to limit the passing game to slant patterns and roll outs with Jay Fiedler when you can run every drop back pattern in the book with A.J. Feeley? It is completely nonsensical to start Jay Fiedler at quarterback. A.J. Feeley should get the same opportunity that Matt Hasselbeck got when Seattle traded for him. He should be getting the reps with the starters so he can get in sync now. By waiting to give him the reigns, you are only delaying the inevitable and are also delaying his development.

Why is this argument about whether Huard or Jay should have been the QB? After seeing both, the answer is quite simply, that five years later, NEITHER of these guys should still be a QB for Mia. In case you missed the last half decade there have been other options in the draft, through FA, and through possible trade that we shouldn't have had to settle for freakin huard, Jay, Lucas, Griese, or Feeley (while I admit, the latter still has to prove he belongs in the failure camp with his predecesors.) It amazes me how a city that has watched Dan for 20 years, can limit the QB debate down to deciding over hurad and jay, or lucas and jay, or feely and jay..How about none of the F'in above and lets have some talent, even modesttalent, at the position like 75% of the NFL!!! Anyone remember these famous words: "what can trent green do that Jay can't?"

Exactly!

Miami should have never been in the position to decide between Damon Huard and Jay Fiedler. No one else in the NFL would have gone into a season with those two quarterbacks as the potential starters. Look at Huard's career since he left. He's been nothing but a back up with no chance at a starting job. Had Miami not signed Jay Fiedler, he'd still be a back up in the league. No one else was willing to give him a starting chance, and if Miami cut him tomorrow, no one else would look at him as a potential starter. That's just facts.

AJ Feeley, on the other hand, is a player that was wanted. Ron Wolf, the quarterback guru of the NFL, advised Butch Davis to make a deal for AJ Feeley. I'm sure that in conversations with Rick Spielman during the GM search process, Ron Wolf mentioned Feeley as a young quarterback he liked in the league. Spielman listened and got a guy who has above average potential. Davis didn't, and he got a broken down, noodle arm instead.

FinFan24 said:
Everyone says the best QB will win, but that is kind of scary. Even if Jay proves to be the best QB, unless its by alot, i still want AJ to start. I kno u guys are going to say its "blind hatred" twoard Fiedler, but i assure you its not. I just want to take a chance with a yound QB with upside, as uppose to going with a QB who is starting to get up there in years(i kno hes not REALLY old).

If Ricky was still on this team, id want Jay to start if he proved he was the best QB in the offseason. But right now, i think we need to take a chance, and hope we hit gold with Feeley.
shux...speilman has already taken a chance...if you look at it it almost seems like fiedler needs to win his job rather than feely win a job....look at what we gave up for him....i think feely gets a real good look in preseason.

Check Out www.fhtm.ws/todd

TorontoFin said:
Why is this argument about whether Huard or Jay should have been the QB? After seeing both, the answer is quite simply, that five years later, NEITHER of these guys should still be a QB for Mia. In case you missed the last half decade there have been other options in the draft, through FA, and through possible trade that we shouldn't have had to settle for freakin huard, Jay, Lucas, Griese, or Feeley (while I admit, the latter still has to prove he belongs in the failure camp with his predecesors.) It amazes me how a city that has watched Dan for 20 years, can limit the QB debate down to deciding over hurad and jay, or lucas and jay, or feely and jay..How about none of the F'in above and lets have some talent, even modesttalent, at the position like 75% of the NFL!!! Anyone remember these famous words: "what can trent green do that Jay can't?"

:roflmao:

I could'nt have said it better myself.
Some of the Fiedler flag waivers on here just simply amaze me.
Low expectations for such an important position.

KBISBACK said:
Exactly!

Miami should have never been in the position to decide between Damon Huard and Jay Fiedler. No one else in the NFL would have gone into a season with those two quarterbacks as the potential starters. Look at Huard's career since he left. He's been nothing but a back up with no chance at a starting job.

Fiedlers future will match Huards guaranteed.

This post was ot blind hatred towrads feidler or supporting huard, My memory is not perfect but I do remember there being some controversy as the general consensus was Jay did not outplay Huard, Obvoiously dave made the right decision as huard is not starting anywhere now. The point I was trying to make is that Huard was established as a dolphin much as jay is now but dave saw something in jay that he liked and gave him the starting nod regardless of the pre-season play.

F150&Dolfan said:
Yeah Huard was a safe QB and that's it. He wouldn't lose many games for you but he certainly wasn't going to win many.

And Feidler won't win many games for you but he certainly will lose lots for you. :lol:

I think Jay came about 35 years ago...at least it seems that long...lol

Fiedler?

Jay Fiedler BLOWS literally, hes gotta be blowing Wannstedt,he must be pretty good.Another year of gloom & doom under this pathetic son of a *****

You could put the offense in a pick up truck and Fiedler still couldnt drive the bastard across the goal line

SuperFin34 said:
This post was ot blind hatred towrads feidler or supporting huard, My memory is not perfect but I do remember there being some controversy as the general consensus was Jay did not outplay Huard, Obvoiously dave made the right decision as huard is not starting anywhere now. The point I was trying to make is that Huard was established as a dolphin much as jay is now but dave saw something in jay that he liked and gave him the starting nod regardless of the pre-season play.

I understood your post, and yes, i guess you would be correct in answering that specific question. My point is that it should never been an issue worth discussing.
"Obvoiously dave made the right decision as huard is not starting anywhere now." So what? If jay was let go tomorrow, he wouldn't be starting anywhere else in the NFL either -- except maybe battling for his life in Chicago. Even if you can buy that Jay and Huard were his only two options that first year, what the hell is dave's excuse for the following 4 off seasons? why is the feaking debate still involve Jay at all?? Who cares who was the right choice between those two was? It's like saying, I could eat s-- or drink pi--, so I choose pi--.
We've watched QBs like trent Green, Jake Plummer, Hasselbeck all switch teams and put up great numbers -- except maybe a half-azzed attempt on the last guy mentioned. This past season, when fans truly thought Jay had worn his last fins jersey, we watched Brunell, Garcia and Collins (say what you want, all are far superior to Jay as QBs) leave their team and sign with others that weren't S. Florida. And through it all dave stood by, with his fingers crossed, hoping and praying Jay would, in some act of god, stop being the failure he was each year before.

TorontoFin said:
I understood your post, and yes, i guess you would be correct in answering that specific question. My point is that it should never been an issue worth discussing.
"Obvoiously dave made the right decision as huard is not starting anywhere now." So what? If jay was let go tomorrow, he wouldn't be starting anywhere else in the NFL either -- except maybe battling for his life in Chicago. Even if you can buy that Jay and Huard were his only two options that first year, what the hell is dave's excuse for the following 4 off seasons? why is the feaking debate still involve Jay at all?? Who cares who was the right choice between those two was? It's like saying, I could eat s-- or drink pi--, so I choose pi--.
We've watched QBs like trent Green, Jake Plummer, Hasselbeck all switch teams and put up great numbers -- except maybe a half-azzed attempt on the last guy mentioned. This past season, when fans truly thought Jay had worn his last fins jersey, we watched Brunell, Garcia and Collins (say what you want, all are far superior to Jay as QBs) leave their team and sign with others that weren't S. Florida. And through it all dave stood by, with his fingers crossed, hoping and praying Jay would, in some act of god, stop being the failure he was each year before.

I'm not sure how we would have done with QB's since they all come from other Offensive system that may or may not fit our system. As far as Brunell, Garcia and Collins are concern, did you really want to pay more than the skins to get him? Garcia and Collins didn't become available until late in the offseason, do you remember Griese..AJ is just starting to become comfortable and we were able to get him in March. The phins weren't interested in spending big money on unknown QB's, can you blame them. Hasslebeck was a bidding war thing, remember he struggles in his first 2 years with Seattle and got benched..People on this board would have been screeming if he was here. We didn't even have half the cap space Denver had to get Plummer, that's a no brainer as to why he's not here. T. Green was also a ? mark at the time we looked at him, he needs a great OL in front of him, a K. Warner type. We haven't had that kind of OL here in Dave's time. I don't know if Jay is what we need, but somehow he fight thought to get us wins..2 years ago this O was avg 28 points a games for a while before Jay got hurt. He never comes back the same and we suffer. But also our D lets down in crucial games in the 2nd half even when Jay was on. So it's combo of O sorrows and D's perpendance to let down in crucial games. But if AJ beats Jay out I wouldn't be mad, but I for one am still glad Jay's on the team, even as a backup. We need some security with the way our QB's have gotten hurt in the last couple of years.

marinotoclayton said:
I remember season before when Huard came in and won some big games for us. One big one i remember was against Pats at least i think it was them. they were all over him and he still came back and won it .

Yea, 1999, I think. I know he was QB when we beat the Titans that year. He had that insanely lucky play where Kearse stripped him of the ball, he reached down & picked it up, then tossed a pass. We won that game becase of Madison tormenting McNair, though...

You make decent points about overpaying for Brunell, and Plummer ect..
But , as for your logic that everyone is a question mark -- fair enough. But then isn't Feeley a question mark (bigger than any of the QBs mentioned) ,and is a second-round pick not too high of a price to pay for a big question mark? Dave has no problems giving away the farm for the risks he wants to take.
As for Garcia, we all knew he was gone last year..Collins was good as gone as soon as NY drafted Manning…Besides, there was no one busting down Phi's door for AJ, a little patience to see how the market would develop, was in order here.
As for "we all would have been screaming about Hasselbeck," count me out. I was firmly in the anybody-but-Jay camp by then, and don't even get me started on T. Green. "The what can Trent green do that Jay can't" comment is not just stupid in hindsight, it was stupid period, because jay "can't do" much at all.
"I don't know if Jay is what we need, but somehow he fight thought to get us wins," I can think of exactly two wins Jay was himself responsible for. Jay has thrown away far more games all on his own then he's won. As for the D letting us down in crucial games, that's a fair comment, but they have been known to show up once in a while -- see in the NE blizzard this past year. It's tough to stay mentally tough when you're QB misses a wide-open WR in the endzone to put the game away, and insists that his favorite target is Teddy Bruschi.
Look, I'm not trying to fuel yet another QB debate. I don't care if Jay was better than Huard, or IS better than AJ. My point is that in five years, we could have done better -- much better. 80% of teams has a QB in place they're are happy with -- a handful even have more than one. We have none -- and that's sad when the QB market is so saturated.

Back
Top Bottom