Dolphins 2021 Final Roster Cuts | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins 2021 Final Roster Cuts

Teams might give you a 6th for Grant due to his return skills. Merritt being an unknown and a 2020 udfa, might not even get you a late 7th round pick. I think you would be better of trying to get Merritt on the ps than trading him.
A 6th for Grant is all you’ll get which is why he stays and we’ll take his 2 game-altering performances on ST per year thank you. That’s 2 more wins right there > 6th round pick unless you get the next Tom Brady w it.

I understand that’s the reality in the NFL in which money is the most important aspect when determining who stays and who leaves in situations like this.
That still doesn’t change the fact that Iggy hasn’t earned a spot on the final 53 by his play on the field.

I suspect he will be the next Charles Harris. Kept around until they can either trade him or cut him when it becomes financially feasible to do so.
unless he, you know, develops.

it isn't just money.

it is whatever talent/potential the team saw in the player that convinced them to draft him in the first place.

a team may place more value on a developmental project's upside, than another player with a much lower ceiling that may contribute sooner.

charles harris was our only first round pick when we desperately needed pass rush help, and he couldn't rush the passer.

i don't recall anyone saying he was raw and we were taking a flyer on his potential at #22 overall.

NFL.com reports the following cuts for Miami. WR- Ford, Foster TE- Meier T- Hubbard, Parris, Eluemunor G-Marz DT- J. Johnson CB - Askew, Bonds

those were previous cuts

first rounder last year, 8 million in dead cap if he's cut.

he could have caught that 4th quarter pass, handed it to the Bengals receiver for a touchdown, then swept him off his feet, kissed him, and ran out of the stadium with him, and he would still be making the 53.
ah mon ami,

you missed me again. :)

What I meant was he IS a 1st rounder who was playing on the last play of the last preseason game. In just one year, he has fallen from 1st rounder to playing with the scrubs on the last play of the preseason.

This is a gut check for him. His career is in serious jeopardy at this crossroads. Gone are the "he is X's replacement" discussion.

He will survive due to cap hit for this year and most likely next.

But if the man has any serious NFL aspirations, he'd better be taking this warning shot across his bow very serious.

His potential in the eyes of the coaches is almost on life support.

ah mes ami,

you missed me again. :)

What I meant was he IS a 1st rounder who was playing on the last play of the last preseason game. In just one year, he has fallen from 1st rounder to playing with the scrubs on the last play of the preseason.

This is a gut check for him. His career is in serious jeopardy at this crossroads. Gone are the "he is X's replacement" discussion.

He will survive due to cap hit for this year and most likely next.

But if the man has any serious NFL aspirations, he'd better be taking this warning shot across his bow very serious.

His potential in the eyes of the coaches is almost on life support.
i dunno.

if he needs time and experience, i'd be playing him all 4 quarters of each preseason game no matter what.

(scroll up a bit to my response to 1972, it isn't just money)

i dunno.

if he needs time and experience, i'd be playing him all 4 quarters of each preseason game no matter what.

(scroll up a bit to my response to 1972, it isn't just money)
I read it. And I know you weren't just overlooking my entire comment.

But to see him making that final play, it was a wake up call to me... Coach Flo has put Iggy on notice: Draft Position is not gonna save you any more.

I won't compare him to Jamarcus Russell "bad", but I will say it is refreshing to see Flo not afraid to demote a 1st rounder so quickly.

I look at it this way... if Grant can keep dropping passes yet stay in good graces due to Special Teams, then how bad is it that Iggy is having to make a play against Cincy's 4th and 5th squad just to get some positive vibes?

I don't understand labeling Noah I. #9 a bust when he hasn't even played a game in his second season.
And....if he fails at corner, isn't the next most logical move an attempt to switch him to safety, if he can? Before throwing him out?
Larry Little and Jim Langer both started with other teams before they got to Miami. Not everyone comes out of the gate ready to start.
Not saying Ig is going to be a hall of famer, but sometimes guys take more time.

I don't understand labeling Noah I. #9 a bust when he hasn't even played a game in his second season.
And....if he fails at corner, isn't the next most logical move an attempt to switch him to safety, if he can? Before throwing him out?
Larry Little and Jim Langer both started with other teams before they got to Miami. Not everyone comes out of the gate ready to start.
Not saying Ig is going to be a hall of famer, but sometimes guys take more time.
Little and Langer weren’t no 1 round picks though :)

Remember everyone. How the roster looks after the final cuts isn't necessarily how the roster will look on week 1.
I suspect it is in terms of the main guys. Any additions at this point are just low cost, low yield insurances.

But to see him making that final play, it was a wake up call to me... Coach Flo has put Iggy on notice: Draft Position is not gonna save you any more.

I won't compare him to Jamarcus Russell "bad", but I will say it is refreshing to see Flo not afraid to demote a 1st rounder so quickly.

I look at it this way... if Grant can keep dropping passes yet stay in good graces due to Special Teams, then how bad is it that Iggy is having to make a play against Cincy's 4th and 5th squad just to get some positive vibes?
At least he made the play though!

Positional reassignment is a good ploy to recoup value for a mid-late rounder. And I have no problem with "recouping value" as a concept.

My point is iggy IS a #9 pick and we are already making these assessments and propositions in Year 2 TC.... yeah, that's REAL bad.

Flo will coach him up and find any value he can, but if is safe to say, we swung and missed here.

EDIT: Also, we have Nick Needham for sobering comparison.

Iggy should be bettering Needham, not trailing.

we see things vastly different.

he was an extremely raw prospect coming out, that everyone knew was going to take time to develop.

that means he plays all the time in preseason, without any determinations regarding "demotions" or "vibes."

of course everyone wants the process to have happened yesterday, but he is what he is, raw and developing, and that shouldn't come as news to anyone.

jamarcus was the #1 overall pick to start at QB immediately if not sooner.

noah was the 30th pick in a year where we had three first round picks, after having played cornerback for only 2018 and 2019 in his entire life.

Back
Top Bottom