Dolphins add receivers, eager to see young defensive tackles | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins add receivers, eager to see young defensive tackles

I liked the pick of DeVante Parker.

I like the player. I am rooting for him. I'm not giving up on him.

But there is no way for me to read these tea leaves other than "This team is preparing to move on from DeVante Parker if he doesn't become much more productive in a hurry."

I think Grant lost some confidence with the drops and he just became hard to trust in game. Would like to see him come in confident and with a chip on his shoulder.

I'd say Stills, Parker, and Landry are a pretty good reason why we didn't see Grant in there. Two of those guys had really good years and even with Parker being inconsistent when he was on he was a gamechanger - like when NE resorted to flat out tackling him to prevent him gashing them deep again in week two. We had a good year on offense because nearly everyone executed when given the chance - except Grant, who consequently was on the field so infrequently that when he did come on the defense instantly knew they were trying to dial up a special play for him and they stuffed it before it could develop.

I liked the pick of DeVante Parker.

I like the player. I am rooting for him. I'm not giving up on him.

But there is no way for me to read these tea leaves other than "This team is preparing to move on from DeVante Parker if he doesn't become much more productive in a hurry."

The team shouldn't be sold on him but moving on from him? The worst that will happen is he will play four underwhelming years here and be overpaid by another team in FA for his untapped potential, not be cut. On a team will three effective receivers he is the most physically talented and I think the fact that Stills can get open deep with speed while Parker can open himself up deep by just fighting for the ball are what makes this entire passing game work.

How you can read Parker out of things when Caroo was the one publicly being called out and made inactive is a little beyond me. Bringing in receivers wasn't anything to do with the top three guys, it has everything to do with the guys behind them. Caroo, a guy who they are brutally unconvinced by, Grant, a guy who may not have the ability to be an actual NFL receiver, and Scott, a PS talent. We clearly saw last year that Gase's offense is about having weapons and using them right, and they are doing the right thing by auditioning a bunch more potential weapons when there is uncertainty beyond the top guys.

Parker wasn't drafted to be pretty good... sometimes... He was drafted to be THE man.

Now, I haven't given up on him, but if a WR hasn't stepped up by the end of his 3rd year, well... he probably won't. ...and he's got to know this too. He's got to step it up this year if he wants to be a star, rather than a spare part.

All these receivers are here for Parker.

Put up or get the Hell out.

We drafted you to be our #1, anything less means you are replaceable.

...and he'll be traded out for someone else's mistake.

Yes so if he's a # 2 or 3 replace him with an udfa. I don't see that logic. If Parker leaves here people will be regreting it for years. If he gets typical #1 or #2 targets he will put up Pro Bowl like numbers. All he needs is health and opportunity, the rest takes care of itself. Parker's 141 career targets is just less than what Landry has averaged the past two seasons. With those targets in one season, Parker would have had 82 receptions, 1200 yards and 7 td's. That's not bad for a young player. Of the receivers selected in the top 3 rounds of the 2015 draft only Amari Cooper has out preformed Parker.

Stills is overrated as hell. We over payed. Period. If he wasn't the third option he'd be above average at best.

Parker was overdrafted. He's a soft bitch that can't stay on the field or learn a playbook. Liked the pick at the time but they can't all be winners. Either he does it this year or he doesn't. His targets will decline and he's take a lesser role in his fourth year or get traded.

Landry is one of my favorite players but severely overrated. He's a not the do everything, elite wr we are going to pay him to be. There are at least ten WRs I'd rather have for that money.

Aj green, Julio, Beckham, Antonio brown, jordy Nelson, dez Bryant, deandre Hopkins, Alshon Jeffery,demaryoius thomas, Fitz, Brandon Marshall, mike Evans and so on. He's just not in the same tier.

Point is we aren't as "stacked" at wr as you think.

Stills is overrated as hell. We over payed. Period. If he wasn't the third option he'd be above average at best.

Parker was overdrafted. He's a soft bitch that can't stay on the field or learn a playbook. Liked the pick at the time but they can't all be winners. Either he does it this year or he doesn't. His targets will decline and he's take a lesser role in his fourth year or get traded.

Landry is one of my favorite players but severely overrated. He's a not the do everything, elite wr we are going to pay him to be. There are at least ten WRs I'd rather have for that money.

Aj green, Julio, Beckham, Antonio brown, jordy Nelson, dez Bryant, deandre Hopkins, Alshon Jeffery,demaryoius thomas, Fitz, Brandon Marshall, mike Evans and so on. He's just not in the same tier.

[video=youtube;gH476CxJxfg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gH476CxJxfg[/video]

Of course, unable to do anything but cheer lead so you troll. Cool story bro.

It's time to either poop or get off of the potty. Grant and Carroo have the most to worry about, IMO. Grant, because he is most valuable on special teams and if someone can beat his performance AND catch a few balls consistently, then he's replaceable. And Carroo has too much potential to be a non-factor. If somebody shows a willingness to accept coaching and turn it on during games, he's disposable as well.

Parker has value as trade bait but I don't see him leaving. I honestly can't see us cutting ties with Carroo yet, either unless somebody comes in and just crushes the chance that he's given to make the team. Personally, our receivers are a strength of the team but they're more a paper tiger than a proven headache for other teams so far. With any three and Thomas on the field, we should give defenses fits this year. No way one of those is not better than the guy who's checking him.

You know...if you remember...Grant made some great plays in preseason on short passes getting him in space...never understood why we never saw that in the season?

Because he cant catch

Truth.

No way Miami burns another draft pick and brings in four undrafted WRs if we were half as *stacked* at WR as most people think.

LD

I do not agree with all of this negativism about DeVante Parker. He has issues, but the main one is health. When he has been healthy, he has flashed star power of a true #1. He is big, fast, shields the ball like a big TE, and runs a 4.4 forty with very good run after the catch. He has good hands and presents a big target. He is tall and can go up over smaller DB's and dominate them at the ball's high point. Health ... that is his issue.

Starting the year fully healthy is a big plus. Having had a lot of time in our health maintenance system is another big plus. His maturity should help as well.

DVP is entering his 3rd year. For a long while that was the year when young receivers typically broke out. I think you will see that from Parker. But, not because he finally starts running proper routes or starts trying harder ... rather because he will be more consistently healthy. We're not giving up on this kid in the first 5 years, so that means not giving up on him this year, not giving up on him next year, nor are we giving up on him in 2019-2020 season. I'm confident that by then this board will have changed its skeptical tune.

Truth.

No way Miami burns another draft pick and brings in four undrafted WRs if we were half as *stacked* at WR as most people think.

LD

I agree Miami isn't stacked. They have three good starters and one unproven reserve. Stacked means you have good depth behind the starters too. At this point Miami's one injury away from having concerns about the unit. If Carroo and the rookie Ford can step up that would really help.

Miami usually goes into training camp with 8 or 10 receivers on the roster. No team is just going have their top 4 or 5 and nobody else at this point. You could say it's a sign of what they think of Parker, Landry, Stills, and Carroo that they didn't go out and sign veteran free agents or invest a higher draft pick on a player that they seriously were looking at for roster spots. I think all of the udfa's might get a shot if the team carries 6 receivers, but mostly they are camp bodies and competing for one or two practice squad spots. I think if there were any real concerns about the top four you would have seen one or two mid to lower level vets brought in too. At one point I was thinking they might bring in Marquess Wilson to compete with Carroo for the 4th spot, once Wilson's foot heals. Now it looks like it Carroo and Ford at the 4th and 5th, with Grant and others fighting for a possible 6th. I think having the back end of the training camp wr unit being filled with udfa's is actually more of a sign of confidence in the top group of players than an indictment. The Packers drafted two receivers and brought in a few more as udfa's. I don't think that means they're concerned about Adams, Cobb and Nelson.

Last edited by a moderator:
Truth.

LD

I don't know anything about the undrafted WR's we brought in, but I think I saw a reposted tweet that CK did where he was saying 2 of the undrafted guys we signed were slot receiver types.

Back
Top Bottom