Dolphins add receivers, eager to see young defensive tackles | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins add receivers, eager to see young defensive tackles

the Dolphins’ message is clear: Leonte Carroo, Jakeem Grant and Rashawn Scott won’t be gifted roster spots

That's laughable. If there is one non starter on the roster that will be gifted a spot, it will be Carroo.

That's laughable. If there is one non starter on the roster that will be gifted a spot, it will be Carroo.

LOL, Agree!

If I understand correctly and did my research right these are the players the Vikings picked with what we gave up. Note: The Vikings traded the 3rd we gave them to the Chiefs for more picks this year, and the 4th to the Bengals (not sure what they got. Could be picks next year).

2016 Draft:
6th - Stephen Weatherly (OLB)

2017 Draft:
5th - Rodney Adams (WR)
5th - Danny Isidora (OG)
7th - Jack Tocho (CB)

Somebody with more knowledge than me is gonna have to tell you how good these guys are. I liked Isidora, but the rest, don't have a clue. Obviously, they have a lot invested in Carroo. Hopefully Gase will find a way to get him on the field so he can develop and we can see what he's got.

Please note: Nothing against the guy, but I didn't like the Carroo trade when it happened. I think we gave up way too much.

I dunno, man. Something has been on my mind the last several days. We've heard precious little about Landry's contract progress and it's always possible that he is quietly taking a hardline approach.

One can't stop thinking about his friendly competition over all things football with his buddy, Odell Beckham. Is Juice willing to take so much less than what he knows his pal/rival will make? OvetheCap projects Beckham's new contract next year will be for over $100M and for him to average about $17.5M/year. I'm not saying that's anywhere near what Landry wants, but it may be that he clearly feels he desrves more then the 10-11 we're reportedly willing to pay (so far). Remember, Gase is about scheme and system, not relying on spotlight-star players.

So I never bought the Caroo-as-replacement-for-Stills thing. They are two very different types of receivers. My point is: what if they saw the writing on the wall 18 months ago? What if they gave up all those picks for Caroo not to buy Stills' replacement.

What if they were buying Landry's?

I do not agree with all of this negativism about DeVante Parker. He has issues, but the main one is health. When he has been healthy, he has flashed star power of a true #1. He is big, fast, shields the ball like a big TE, and runs a 4.4 forty with very good run after the catch. He has good hands and presents a big target. He is tall and can go up over smaller DB's and dominate them at the ball's high point. Health ... that is his issue.

Starting the year fully healthy is a big plus. Having had a lot of time in our health maintenance system is another big plus. His maturity should help as well.

DVP is entering his 3rd year. For a long while that was the year when young receivers typically broke out. I think you will see that from Parker. But, not because he finally starts running proper routes or starts trying harder ... rather because he will be more consistently healthy. We're not giving up on this kid in the first 5 years, so that means not giving up on him this year, not giving up on him next year, nor are we giving up on him in 2019-2020 season. I'm confident that by then this board will have changed its skeptical tune.

I like the player. I liked the pick. I remain optimistic.

But I look at the moves we've made at receiver, and I'm sorry, but this team is preparing to move on from either Jarvis Landry or DeVante Parker, in my opinion.

We are going to find out quickly which one of them it is, but based on how much Adam Gase seems to value 'guys who love football' and have a passion for winning, I suspect it's not Landry.

Many good posts and many interesting points of view. See the upscale dialogue we can have when we're not calling each other names? I think Landry is the heart and soul of the team. The guy is fiery and Gase loves it. He's a fan favorite and one of the most productive receivers in the NFL. I think unless his agent is insane we'll pay Jarvis. I came away from this thread wondering if we're not as strong at receiver as I thought. The answer is we'll soon find out but imo Parker is going to have a break out season. He just needed to mature and understand what it takes to be a pro and buy in to it. I'm feel quite certain that if the kid can catch a break with the injuries he'll put up over 1000 yards with 6 or 7 TDs. We know what Stills and Landry will do this year. The wild card is Parker, if he falters we'll see Caroo put to the test. But, assuming a considerable uptick from Parker I'm pretty happy with the receiving core. I don't read much into a 7th rounder and some free agent signings. There may be 1 spot open for a new receiver but almost all the new faces will be camp bodies. Our receiver core is hard to crack, that's a characteristic of talented receiving core. If you want to worry about something take a look at our schedule. They gave us every travel bummer possible, short weeks, London, in the cold in December and we're facing a lot of very good teams under mostly the worst situation imaginable!!! They LOVE the Dolphins!! So does ESPN who manages to schedule a commercial every time the Dolphin's were picking in the draft!!! I'll be watching a lot of that channel in the near future!! NOT!!!!

Could it be we have a contingency in place for either Landry or Parker?

Could it be we have a contingency in place for either Landry or Parker?

Maybe, but I still just think the team needed a decent 4th receiver. You can't just have your three starters and nothing behind them in case of injury, especially with Parker's injury history, Stills has a history with hamstrings and as hard as Landry plays he could get banged up too. If you didn't have Carroo and any of those three got hurt we were looking at starting Scott, a very raw udfa rookie. In my mind that's not what I call a deep unit. It would have been three good starters and nothing after that.

A six-pack of Dolphins notes a day after the draft:

• By drafting Isaiah Ford in the seventh round and adding four undrafted rookie free agent receivers, the Dolphins’ message is clear: Leonte Carroo, Jakeem Grant and Rashawn Scott won’t be gifted roster spots.

Now let’s make this clear: Carroo and Grant remain clear favorites to make the team. None of the five receivers added is nearly as skilled a kick returner as Grant.

But Ford has a legitimate shot to stick. And UM’s Malcolm Lewis, Arkansas’ Drew Morgan, Mississippi’s Damore’ea Stringfellow and Stanford’s freakishly athletic Francis Owusu will have a chance to impress.

https://miamiherald.relaymedia.com/amp/sports/spt-columns-blogs/barry-jackson/article147758519.html

I want to see two players come to camp in excellent shape and bust their butt.

Phillips and Carroo. Grant 50/50 if he even makes the final roster IMO

If you recall, Grant invited Matt Darr to Texas during the offseason to get in some good punt catch/return sessions with him at Texas Tech. Seemed like they were working well together.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you recall, Grant invited Matt Barr to Texas during the offseason to get in some good punt catch/return sessions with him at Texas Tech. Seemed like they were working well together.

Glad to see him working at it, but I just think he's a much better kickoff return guy and slot receiver than he'll be a punt returner, and the two things he's good at he likely won't be needed for in Miami.

Best player available starts creating some of these situations which is great for us

LOL, Agree!

If I understand correctly and did my research right these are the players the Vikings picked with what we gave up. Note: The Vikings traded the 3rd we gave them to the Chiefs for more picks this year, and the 4th to the Bengals (not sure what they got. Could be picks next year).

2016 Draft:
6th - Stephen Weatherly (OLB)

2017 Draft:
5th - Rodney Adams (WR)
5th - Danny Isidora (OG)
7th - Jack Tocho (CB)

Somebody with more knowledge than me is gonna have to tell you how good these guys are. I liked Isidora, but the rest, don't have a clue. Obviously, they have a lot invested in Carroo. Hopefully Gase will find a way to get him on the field so he can develop and we can see what he's got.

Please note: Nothing against the guy, but I didn't like the Carroo trade when it happened. I think we gave up way too much.

What happened to the 4th rounder we gave the Vikings?

If the emphasis was to push our current WR's to perform better, then I wish he would have done the same with extra OL picks/UDFA's.

Competition breeds success and you have to have depth in order for that to play out. I see it as nothing more. Gase is just trying to push our top 3 WR's to further excel and is simply displacing a comfort level. There's no hidden agenda or conspiracy theories here folks.

to think a seventh round pick (237 overall) and 14,001 UDFA WR brought in has any bearing or message for Landry, Stills, or Parker is ludicrous.

if you want to send a message, you sign a stud veteran FA or use a day one or two pick on a position.

none of these end of the roster/training camp body transactions move the needle one iota.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom