Dolphins bash Florida Legislature for failing to pass stadium bill | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins bash Florida Legislature for failing to pass stadium bill

I understand bro, but do they get smarter and doing these deals, or risk of the teaming moving? I know they made some bad deals in the past, but how long does that impact any future deals and the growth of the community?

That's the main problem. Owners always threaten cities with that. I say let him leave if he wants.

That's the main problem. Owners always threaten cities with that. I say let him leave if he wants.
If that were to happen you will likely never see another professional football team in Miami again. The same goes for the Chargers if they leave San Diego.

There is a real possibility that some dirty politics went on. Speculation that Ross' nemesis Braman was behind the politicians reticence to take it to the people and vote on it. I am 100% behind our owner and his efforts to modernize the stadium which by the way would have created jobs and help to stimulate our economy and given us a better facility to watch the team we love. This website is not a place for politics but it is increasingly clear that the concept of democracy ie letting the people vote on it was anathema to Braman's interests.

If that were to happen you will likely never see another professional football team in Miami again. The same goes for the Chargers if they leave San Diego.

You think that's more important than putting more financial strain on the city? It's football. It's a private business. It's his building and he needs to pay for it. There's more important things in life than paying for a billionaire's renovations. If he moves, he moves. They should call his bluff and be prepared for him leaving. If faced with that, he may just pay for it after all if he can't find another option including selling the team.

Look at all this madness going on in Miami, yet the city of Miami is supposed to help fund Stephen Ross' stadium?

http://blogs.miaminewtimes.com/riptide/2012/01/miami_hit_harder_by_recession.php

Miami Hit Harder By Recession Than Almost Any Other City On Earth

Next time someone tells you, "Eh, this recession hasn't sucked that much in Miami," whip out this interactive economic graphic report that the Brookings Institute just published. The think tank's conclusions are stunning: Of 200 global cities they analyzed, Miami's economy was harder hit by the recession than all but 17 others, barely topping Moscow (and losing out to St. Petersburg ... the Russian one, not the Florida Gulf coast town.)

Brookings cites a 5 percent drop in Miami's income and a 6.3 percent plunge in employment. At least Istanbul had it worse?

Brookings report analyzed economic data from 2007 until 2010 -- the heart of the global recession. In general, they found developing cities from African to Latin America weathered the storm -- and even grew -- much better than old-world towns in the Americas and Europe.

Thanks to our massive property bubble and cratered tourism industry, Miami was among the worst of the worst on this continent.

California cities including San Francisco and L.A. as well as Atlanta joined Miami as the worst-hit U.S. towns.

http://blogs.miaminewtimes.com/riptide/2011/11/almost_one_in_four_children_in.php

Almost one in four children in Florida lived below the poverty line in 2010, according to data from the US Census.

That means 923,963 Florida kids live in poverty (defined as a family of four living on less than $22,314-a-year). That works out to 23.5 percent of all kids in the state. That's higher than the national average of 21.6 percent, and a rise of 1.2 percent for the state since 2009.

http://blogs.miaminewtimes.com/riptide/2011/11/michelle_spence-jones_sued_for.php

Michelle Spence-Jones Sued For Allegedly Sabotaging Liberty City Project In Kickback Scheme UPDATED

​Miami Commissioner Michelle Spence-Jones beat bribery and grand theft charges, and returned to office. Now we'll see if she proves as invincible in civil court.

Two former witnesses in the criminal case, who claimed that she used forgery to divert a $25,000 grant that was supposed to go to their Liberty City community development project Osun's Village, have filed a lawsuit against Spence-Jones. Harlan Woodard and Nathaniel Styles say that she tried to take over the project. When they resisted, she used her political connections to sabotage it.

Spence-Jones only wanted to "control the money," according to the complaint, "and potentially get a portion of said funding as a kick back."

http://blogs.miaminewtimes.com/shortorder/2010/12/florida_is_very_hungry_study_s.php

Florida is Very Hungry, Study Shows (Updated)

A report released this month by the USDA's Economic Research Service shows food insecurity increased significantly in Florida from 2004-2006 to 2007-2009. Food insecurity means the inability, at times, to buy enough food for household members due to lack of funds or resources.

In our state, an average of 14.2 percent of households are food insecure, up from 8.9 percent from 2004 to 2006. In fact, Florida had one of the largest increases along with West Virginia. Only Louisiana saw a significant decline.

Child hunger is also high, with about one in four children in the U.S. at risk in 2009.

There's hundreds of articles like this. These are just a few I pulled up with a quick Google search. Do you understand why Ross disgusts me now?

There is a real possibility that some dirty politics went on. Speculation that Ross' nemesis Braman was behind the politicians reticence to take it to the people and vote on it. I am 100% behind our owner and his efforts to modernize the stadium which by the way would have created jobs and help to stimulate our economy and given us a better facility to watch the team we love. This website is not a place for politics but it is increasingly clear that the concept of democracy ie letting the people vote on it was anathema to Braman's interests.

This website is the place for politics, just not in this section. You can always check out the Political/War forums if you'd like to talk about politically related content. I'll keep this post in context to the thread though. Whenever you're talking about Miami, there's always a chance something shady is going on. Let's not forget Miami was built with cocaine money. Literally. I mean skyscrapers and all.

You think that's more important than putting more financial strain on the city? It's football. It's a private business. It's his building and he needs to pay for it. There's more important things in life than paying for a billionaire's renovations. If he moves, he moves. They should call his bluff and be prepared for him leaving. If faced with that, he may just pay for it after all if he can't find another option including selling the team.

Look at all this madness going on in Miami, yet the city of Miami is supposed to help fund Stephen Ross' stadium?

http://blogs.miaminewtimes.com/riptide/2012/01/miami_hit_harder_by_recession.php

http://blogs.miaminewtimes.com/riptide/2011/11/almost_one_in_four_children_in.php

http://blogs.miaminewtimes.com/riptide/2011/11/michelle_spence-jones_sued_for.php

http://blogs.miaminewtimes.com/shortorder/2010/12/florida_is_very_hungry_study_s.php

There's hundreds of articles like this. These are just a few I pulled up with a quick Google search. Do you understand why Ross disgusts me now?
My last response in this thread. You say let them leave and if they do what are you going to say then? How many jobs will this help create?

My last response in this thread. You say let them leave and if they do what are you going to say then? How many jobs will this help create?

IN reality the stadium renovation will not create many permanent jobs and that should be the key. I showed one article that showed the number they quote for jobs is like double and almost all are temporary.
The international banking community creates a hell of a lot more permannent jobs than football will ever create. I personally want them to work out a deal but no need to panic and he should have prepared his bill quite a bit ago. Seems like he was trying to slip it into a less crowded vote and hope for best

Back
Top Bottom