Dolphins blew it with passing on Herbert | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins blew it with passing on Herbert

Really? Explain why Herbert lost to us if he was clearly better?

According to some he should be able to overcome all of it.

Still doesn't explain the interception.
Because there are 21 other players who contribute to whether their team wins or loses. Our defense in particular is significantly better then SD's. That has nothing to do with Tua vs. Herbert. Herbert likely would have won all 3 games Tua did if Herbert were on our team. Herbert's played 9 games and hasn't had a single game under 100 yards passing (Tua has had 2 in 4 games played). Tua's best game he threw for 248 yards. Yardage-wise that would be Herbert's 2nd WORST game. Herbert's thrown for over 300 yards 5 times in 9 games, Tua has yet to ever do it.

Last edited:
Dolphins made the right choice. Accuracy and not turning the ball over is key to winning. Yesterday was a tough game for more than Tua. The old Dolphins would have a hangover and lay an egg vs jets. lets hope the loss served as a good wake up call.
I certainly hope you're right as I wanted Tua when pick #5 came around and I still believe he was the right pick.

But cot damn Herbert looks good and no where near the tool so many of finheaven claimed he was (what a shock), Tua is going to have to have a tremendous career to justify his selection over Herbert because Herbert looks like a stud, and to be honest Tua is a little bit physically underwhelming at THIS level (not the alabama level).

Good thing Tua seems to be very smart, level headed, and hard working, he's going to need it...

Last edited:
Herbert has more passing yards in one game than Tua in 4 games. Let that soak in. We will see if Tua turns out better than Herbert like everyone claims here in the future. But when you are all wrong, and you will be, I want to see you admit it next year.
What is your deal man? You might be right but you might be wrong. Why are you going so hard? Whether we all wanted tua or not. He is the QB going forward. It's cool to discuss stuff like this. But it's like you want to be right over the dolphins having success

Really? Explain why Herbert lost to us if he was clearly better?

According to some he should be able to overcome all of it.

Still doesn't explain the interception.
That is a "strawman" arguement, and you know it.

If anyone was touted here as a guy that could overcome, it was Tua.

The same ppl that said RT wasn't "the guy" because he needed a good team around, are now saying Tua bears no blame because we need better O-line play, and dynamic recievers.

Fact: No QB is going to succeed without a good supporting cast.

Fact: We do not yet have that.

Fact: Tua hasn't looked great, irrespective of those around him.

Fact: Tua has done some good things, but still has a long way to go.

Fact: Nobody on earth knows for sure if Tua ends up better than Herbert.

Herbert looked nearly as inept against the Dolphins a week ago as Tua looked yesterday. There is no doubt that Herbert is taller and has a stronger arm. Yet he is also working within an offense which has far superior players at RB and WR than Tua has at this time.

I am not someone who determines how effective a player is going to be after that player has only played 4 games in the NFL. Perhaps Herbert will end up having the better career or maybe he won’t. I prefer to wait until Tua has a better supporting cast on offense and he has played many more games before I will judge if he was a good pick or not.

I never thought Tua was going to come in and be an instant success in the NFL. He is simply a rookie QB who needs to prove that he is capable of being a long term starting QB in the NFL, IMO. All I want to see from him this year is continual improvement as the season goes along and hopefully Grier and Flores will provide him will better skill players in 2021.

If he is still struggling at this time next year, then I will be concerned. Right now though I am happy with the Dolphins drafting Tua instead of Herbert and only time will tell if they made the right selection or not.

Last edited:
When will you back up your post with facts and not emotions?
Herbert is beating Tua in every measurable category with the exception of INTs (though Herbert's 22:6 TD:INT ratio is pretty damn impressive over 9 games).

Herbert is beating Tua in Yards per game, yards per attempt, completion percent, TDs per game, sacks per game, Rating, QBR, rushing yards per game, rushing yards per attempt, rushing TDs per game.

I know its early to access them but... you can do an eye test.

Herbert is a tall athletic strong armed playmaker. He looks like he belongs and can be a great QB than can win games and not just manage them.

Tua is a soft arm, small, non athletic accurate passer that was surrounded with talent at Alabama. He is a game manager/scheme QB at best.

As far as relievers not getting open, its half Tuas fault. He throws a softer ball which takes longer to get to the receiver. This results in DBs getting to the ball and everything is going to be contested.

I'm welcome to criticism, but please back it up with facts and not emotions.
You call for using facts and not emotions, yet you did not provide a single one.

For example, why haven't you provided the time it takes for both QBs the time it takes from beginning their wind up (release time) + air time when throwing 10 yards, 20 yards, 30 yards, etc...?

Both come into play in the amount of time it takes to get the football to the receiver.

Last edited:
This is so premature...obviously. If you want to argue that we should have drafted the more physically prototypical QB with the stronger arm, fine, make that argument. But the variables over the course of 4 games for Tua and 9 games for Herbert, with different gameplans, different game conditions, etc. make it foolish to pass judgement now. It’s a waste of time right now.

Herbert is beating Tua in every measurable category with the exception of INTs (though Herbert's 22:6 TD:INT ratio is pretty damn impressive over 9 games).

Herbert is beating Tua in Yards per game, yards per attempt, completion percent, TDs per game, sacks per game, Rating, QBR, rushing yards per game, rushing yards per attempt, rushing TDs per game.
Yeah, that Keenan Allen is really great..

That is a "strawman" arguement, and you know it.

If anyone was touted here as a guy that could overcome, it was Tua.

The same ppl that said RT wasn't "the guy" because he needed a good team around, are now saying Tua bears no blame because we need better O-line play, and dynamic recievers.

Fact: No QB is going to succeed without a good supporting cast.

Fact: We do not yet have that.

Fact: Tua hasn't looked great, irrespective of those around him.

Fact: Tua has done some good things, but still has a long way to go.

Fact: Nobody on earth knows for sure if Tua ends up better than Herbert.
Great post, we all know the criticism threshold for certain individulas around here regarding Tua will be way different than they were for RT for obvious reasons (ego) but that's not what's important.

Hell even if Herbert ends up being a little bit better than Tua in the long run it's not the end of the world (who cares who's right, none of us are experts), but the whole offense including Tua need to step their s*** up immediately or Tua will be blamed for pissing this season away which is bad for the entire franchise.

Back
Top Bottom