Dolphins blew it with passing on Herbert | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins blew it with passing on Herbert

Herbert is beating Tua in every measurable category with the exception of INTs (though Herbert's 22:6 TD:INT ratio is pretty damn impressive over 9 games).

Herbert is beating Tua in Yards per game, yards per attempt, completion percent, TDs per game, sacks per game, Rating, QBR, rushing yards per game, rushing yards per attempt, rushing TDs per game.
This

That is a "strawman" arguement, and you know it.

If anyone was touted here as a guy that could overcome, it was Tua.

The same ppl that said RT wasn't "the guy" because he needed a good team around, are now saying Tua bears no blame because we need better O-line play, and dynamic recievers.

Fact: No QB is going to succeed without a good supporting cast.

Fact: We do not yet have that.

Fact: Tua hasn't looked great, irrespective of those around him.

Fact: Tua has done some good things, but still has a long way to go.

Fact: Nobody on earth knows for sure if Tua ends up better than Herbert.
Agree but I think Tua is going to need a good 6 to 8 games before he completely trusts himself. That injury and not being able to train and just doing rehab is a big thing. He just more or less had his first 4 preseason games having first team reps for 5 weeks. I don’t know how SD did there preseason this year but it wouldn’t surprise me if JH got more time with the first team than Tua did.

Herbert looked nearly as inept against the Dolphins a week ago as Tua looked yesterday. There is no doubt that Herbert is taller and has a stronger arm. Yet he is also working within an offense which has far superior players at RB and WR than Tua has at this time.

I am not someone who determines how effective a player is going to be after that player has only played 4 games in the NFL. Perhaps Herbert will end up having the better career or maybe he won’t. I prefer to wait until Tua has a better surrounding cast on offense and he has played many more games before I will judge if he was a good pick or not.

I never thought Tua was going to come in and be an instant success in the NFL. He is simply a rookie QB who needs to prove that he is capable of being a long term starting QB in the NFL, IMO. All I want to see from him this year is continual improvement as the season goes along and hopefully Grier and Flores will provide him will better skill players in 2021.

If he is still struggling at this time next year, then I will be concerned. Right now though I am happy with the Dolphins drafting Tua instead of Herbert and only time will tell if they made the right selection or not.
Herbert's ineptitude against us was nowhere near as bad as Tua's yesterday.

Herbert's line against us was 20 of 32 (62.5%), 187 yards (5.8/attempt), 2 TDs, 1 INT, 1 rushing TD
Tua's line yesterday was 11 of 20 (55%), 83 yards (4.2/attempt), 1 TD, 0 INT, 0 rushing

If Tua's performance yesterday matched Herbert's performance against us we would have beaten Denver yesterday.

I was a Herbert fan for several years, and am not surprised he is doing well. But it's way too early to determine who will be the better career QB. I thought Herbert was the better prospect, and the drawbacks so many faux analysts saw simply do not exist. Guys like Chris Simms and Paul Bermeister were spot on regarding Herbert--who simply played in a bad offense in Oregon. Tua played in a good offense surrounded by elite talent literally everywhere. In the NFL, every team has decent talent and no team is stocked full of dominant players. Defenses are far more complex and punish even the smallest defects.

But both QB's have shown flashes of becoming top QB's. Tua's strength was his decision making, and we're seeing that play out as he has been very responsible with the ball. Herbert's strength was his physical makeup, and we're seeing that play out with laser outs and defense-threatening runs. Both look good. If Tua becomes the next Drew Brees, we'll be ecstatic. It's about whether the Dolphins made the Dolphins better, and so far, there's a lot of reason to be optimistic about Tua. It doesn't look like we'll have a shot at Trevor Lawrence, so this one is a no-brainer, we need to develop and support Tua. The future looks bright.

Fins up!

I know its early to access them but... you can do an eye test.

Herbert is a tall athletic strong armed playmaker. He looks like he belongs and can be a great QB than can win games and not just manage them.

Tua is a soft arm, small, non athletic accurate passer that was surrounded with talent at Alabama. He is a game manager/scheme QB at best.

As far as relievers not getting open, its half Tuas fault. He throws a softer ball which takes longer to get to the receiver. This results in DBs getting to the ball and everything is going to be contested.

I'm welcome to criticism, but please back it up with facts and not emotions.
I have a fact for you:

On October 7th 2019 you posted that we should "NOT" trade Taco

Bottom line dolphins got send one wr deep on every play.. that 5 to 10 yard passing all game. We lost just let it go..we got out played.

Way too early to tell man. I'm a little concerned as we all should be but there are so many examples of guys looking great coming out on fire and falling off big time the next year . Then there are guys who look not very good then take a big leap in the next year or two.
This

We'll see but did you see Brady against the Saints? He was horrific but came back the next week. I was surprised by some of Tua´s misses yesterday, and by the Oline in particular but I'm not ready to give up on him just yet.

I know its early to access them but... you can do an eye test.

Herbert is a tall athletic strong armed playmaker. He looks like he belongs and can be a great QB than can win games and not just manage them.

Tua is a soft arm, small, non athletic accurate passer that was surrounded with talent at Alabama. He is a game manager/scheme QB at best.

As far as relievers not getting open, its half Tuas fault. He throws a softer ball which takes longer to get to the receiver. This results in DBs getting to the ball and everything is going to be contested.

I'm welcome to criticism, but please back it up with facts and not emotions.
Bro. He is 2-7

Back
Top Bottom