Dolphins brass was high on Texas A&M QB Ryan Tannehill even before hiring Sherman

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Tiko377, Apr 9, 2012.

Tags:
  1. Tiko377

Tiko377 A True Fan

According to NFL Network's Albert Breer, Dolphins brass was high on Texas A&M QB Ryan Tannehill even before hiring Mike Sherman as offensive coordinator.

The Sherman hire may have increased the Fins' affection for Tannehill after the two worked together in College Station. Breer does caution that he wouldn't expect Miami to trade up for Tannehill, but sends him to the Dolphins in his latest mock draft. For the mock, Breer enlisted the help of NFL executives.
    Related: Dolphins

Source: NFL.com
    Apr 9 - 4:43 PM

2. Geforce

Geforce FinHeaven VIP

I'm sure the Dolphins were high on other QBs too so I'm not sure what point Breer is trying to make.

3. enduro

enduro unknown quantity

i thought i made this clear 2 weeks ago when i told you he will be our pick and we may move up one slot.

4. ChambersWI

ChambersWI Owner of the Palace of Wisdom Finheaven VIP Donator

I could have told you that cause we hired Philbin; a guy who has learnt the NFL game in the WCO starting in Sherman's offense. Tannehill knows the terminology.

5. LANGER72

LANGER72 A True Fan

The staff is high on lot's of guys. If the staff likes him, then we will have to live with that. Frankly, I am not impressed with him. Is he physically, mentally, or athletically superior to Matt Moore? He looks like a 2nd round bootleg pick to me.
    IMHO, no.
    I would rather see us take play makers for MM to pass or hand off to. Draft the franchise QB next year(Barkley / Jones).

6. dlockz

dlockz Hall Of Famer

Im pretty sure he is phyiscally and mentally better than Moore or more athletic. Doesnt mean he will be a great qb but he is by far a better athlete. He also is three time academic all american with plans to be an orthopedic surgeon so I would venture he is menatally superior to Moore.

7. Casas9425

Casas9425 A True Fan

I just don't see how Matt Moore fits in the WCO. He has no accuracy underneath.

8. floriokie

floriokie Active Member

With what you say about drafting Barkley or Jones next year you are exxpecting us to win LESS games next year! If they are the top two QB next year, then we will have to at least have a top 5 pick, if not higher......

9. LANGER72

LANGER72 A True Fan

We could finish anywhere from 6-10 to 10-6. But we could trade picks and make a move up to get one of those guys. There are other QB's coming out too.
    Is Tannehill better than the top 5 guys coming out next year? That is the question.
    Keep in mind, next year's QB demand should be less than this year. Pretty flimsy reasoning, but I am not sold on Tannehill.

10. iwastherein72

iwastherein72 Well-Known Member

Every year for the last decade we could always "trade up and make a move"... NEXT year.

Then when "next year" actually gets here, we stand pat and wait for a QB to "fall to us" and they all get taken by everyone else, or we pass on them for an OL.

Time to do something THIS YEAR. Time to Live In The NOW.

11. SCOTTY

SCOTTY Well-Known Member

Tannehills accuracy is worse.

12. Jeep

Jeep Premium Member Donator

Based on everything I've seen.. Tannehill came out of the Chad Henne mold.. So if they are really that high on him... then its true... They are morons...

13. AdamC13

AdamC13 Awe "Tight End" my favorite position!

I think it is fair to say based on the moves and non-moves by the Dolphins brass they are just plain old ****ing high.

14. TheJetsBlow

TheJetsBlow A True Fan

Right on. I agree 100%.

15. tazthenomad

tazthenomad FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

I like your point about next year's demand for QBs potentially being lower than this year's demand. It is a gamble to wait but IF Tannehill isn't the guy it is better to get a playmaker but I'm not going to criticize Sherman if he wants Tannehill. I don't strictly believe in BPA but getting the best QB available after Luck and RG is no good if he doesn't contribute.

16. Noodleman

Noodleman Starter

I still don't understand the thought process that just because we need a qb we should reach on one. If we draft Tannehill and he sucks the franchise will be set back 3-5 more years minimum. I would rather the fins get a good qb next year than draft a reach this year. We have more holes to fill than qb. Why not fill those in so that when we get a qb next year he will have weapons around him to work with. I say, draft Floyd with the 8th or hell go BPA over REACHING for tannehill!

17. fishbanger

fishbanger Phin fan since 1970!

Just the opposite. The franchise has been set back for 13 years becasue they have yet to draft a QB that can start. Henne is a stiff and Tennehill is athletic, fluid, and very accurate throwing on the run or standing still. He is worth taking a chance on. Waiting for next year is no different then waiting for the last 16 years. Its for Losers.

18. mrbunglez

mrbunglez Reading Is Fundamental Donator

What are you going to say if we don't draft him and he lights it up on another team? Can go either way bud.

19. hoops

hoops exited stage left

what on earth makes people think to trade up in next years qb class is gonna cost any less??? it won't be any different than this year...and if you want matt barkley you better be prepared to pay a price like the skins paid for rg3 or finish with a top 3 worst case pick...this team can't lose enough when we need it to to put us in the position we need to be in if we wait til 2013 on the qb position...

20. sluggo

sluggo Rookie

Not to beat a dead horse but absolutely no one knows more about Tannehill than our new coaches. If they deem he is worth the #8 pick then buckle up the chin straps and let's roll. If they don't then that should tell you something and let's take the best playmaker available or trade down and pick up an extra 2nd or 3rd. There is good depth at WR and OL in this draft which are both areas of need that we can fill very well in the 2nd and 3rd rounds.

21. jlfin

jlfin old pro

Henne and Tannehill have absolutely no similarities as QB's. Your post is just uninformed.

22. rev kev

rev kev THE DEFLATOR

Cut your bangs - what would ever cause you to place Henne and Tannenhill in the same paragraph let alone sentence but biased hate - hater

They are hardly alike

23. state06

state06 A True Fan

:confused:

24. Nawledge

Nawledge Scout Team

Like I said in another thread I haven't seen much of tannehill so I can't really say much about his game but the only comparison I've seen someone make of henne and tannehill is that they lock onto their receivers immediately but idk what that poster was comparing henne/tannehill about specifically.

25. moonman

moonman >tfw dolphins fan

I'd be real interested to see your reasoning here. This is a bizarre comparison.

26. bcsupratt

bcsupratt Well-Known Member

THIS!

I agree with you and this is the exact reason I am not sold on spending this high of a pick at #8 (and HELL NO to trading up for him) on Tannehill. I think we grab weapons for moore and if we stink, we address QB next year. WHat would you guys do if Tannehill is a bust?!
    Dont give me the "You have to try your luck at drafting a QB in 1st rd blah blah"
    I agree that you do, but what makes this kid better than going all in on a more FOR SURE thing in Barkely next year if necessary?

Isnt giving Moore and Garrard worth a shot than wasting #8 overall pick when we can either trade down and acquire more picks to fill voids or take BPA???
    To me, the gamble on drafting Tannehill is the same as letting Moore/Garrard battle it out this year. Probably more risk than reward drafting Tannehill and him being a duck than seeing what Matt Moore can bring to the table. If he fails, you still improved MULTIPLE offensive holes and can go ALL in on BARKELY

Trade down,grab someone mid 1st and 2nd draft Decastro (SURE thing...makes our line one of the best for years to come) and then take a WR (Wright or Floyd or even Hill) with 2nd
    3rd draft a TE and pass rusher or even CB Jenoris Jenkins (ball hawk watched him play at FLA before transferring)
    4th grab streeter

27. dlockz

dlockz Hall Of Famer

I think the staff has shown what they think of Moore's ceiling by bringing every damn qb they could find in. I dont think they want to throw away another year of possibly developing thier qb of the future.
    We have as much faith in Moore as Carolina did when they kept drafting qb's. Doesnt mean Moore cannot be a good qb just means they would prefer somebody else and dont like his long term probablility of being a good qb.

28. Johnstone

Johnstone Banned Hammered

I have us finishing 3-13, next year. We should be in the running for Barkley next year. I say we go after him. No way this team wins more than 3 games next year.

29. The Confessor

The Confessor Doesnt play well with others

Oh, okay.

I was really wondering if we were going to take him or not. Since you made it perfectly clear 2 weeks ago, I now know we will.

Thanks for the clarification.

30. The Confessor

The Confessor Doesnt play well with others

The similarities between Henne and Tannehilll are there.

Both lock on to targets before the ball is in their hands.
    Both have very strong arms.
    Both have a tendacy to completely miss their receiver.
    Neither is a born leader in the huddle or the field.

Aside from those four facts, they are nothing alike. Tannehill is a MUCH better athlete. MUCH MUCH better.

31. broccoli rob

broccoli rob proud of your boy

Dolphins brass is high, period.

32. retarmyfinfan

retarmyfinfan Brave Rifles Donator

Sometimes I wondered if the front office was just high period

33. LANGER72

LANGER72 A True Fan

True.

The one thing that used to drive me crazy about Henne is that once he looked off a receiver, he could rarely find them again. That is why he locked onto them. Once the opposing defenses see that on tape, they can just watch his eyes, or even worse bait him into throwing to certain areas in key situations.
    I am not sure if Tannehill has the same problem, but if he has the same problem reacquiring the WR, it will be the same results. I have not watched a lot of Tannehill, but I hope the staff does their homework.

34. Noodleman

Noodleman Starter

You are correct it can go either way. the reality is that 2 months ago tannehill was considered at most a 2nd rounder. In fact most "experts" still consider him to be that, some even go third. Why in the hell is it worth taking that much of a gamble for him? We have the 8th pick....you should draft a player that warrants that high of a pick plain and simple. It really doesnt matter how Tannehill performs....from what we know now, he is NOT worth drafting that high. YOur question could easily go the other way....what if we draft him and he becomes average at best? THen the franchise is screwed til they throw in the towel on him. If that risk is going to be taken, I would prefer it be taken on a player that is worth the 8th pick overall!

35. mrbunglez

mrbunglez Reading Is Fundamental Donator

All you did was basically say the same thing with more words, every player in this draft can be a bust but I'd rather try with Tannehill than any other position at this moment.

36. fishbanger

fishbanger Phin fan since 1970!

Wod of advice for the dolphins brass ----- WAKE up!

37. CRIOS

CRIOS PERFECT PHINS '72 Finheaven VIP Donator

:lol: :lol: :lol: