Dolphins Buzz: Smith contract, Martin wants to play left tackle | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins Buzz: Smith contract, Martin wants to play left tackle

Not a very nice thing to say......The Amount of one's back hair has nothing to do with playing football:idk:

Ehh, it was funny.

Odrick could be in no-man's land if Starks is on the Dolphins in 2013. He didn't prove he was a good enough defensive end, and you've gotta wonder what type of player he's going to be if he's 20 pounds lighter. I'm hoping that 20 pounds isn't him sacrificing his strength. He just doesn't have the body type or the repertoire of pass-rushing moves to get the job done at defensive end.

I appreciate his versatility, as the Dolphins probably do as well, but an upgrade needs to be had at that position.

odrick at 300 lbs was able to gain the corner at times on a tackle but he could never close on the qb...losing 20 lbs would help but i'd much rather draft a situational rusher and shift odrick inside in the nickle or make odrick a 43 dt...if starks stays i don't think you can just roll with odrick as your every down 43 de and feel ok about your pass rush...

the other thing miami must consider if even if starks stays you may have to put odrick in as a 43 dt for the future cause solia is coming up for free agency after this season...and he could price himself out of miami...i guess the best thing is figure out the starks thing and then roll from there...but don't pass up a elite edge pass rush tools guy just cause you resign starks

if Long wont take a cut, he has to go. Martin can replace him at LT, which is his natural position. But, hes got 5 months to hit the weight room and strengthen up. Hell, in 5 months I was able to increase my bench by about 70 pounds.

martin needs to hit the weight room. he got straight up bullied at times last year

This. Martin has good feet and a lot of promise but he is the only Tackle I've ever seen get bull rushed back into the QB by a cornerback.

No one should be expecting Jonathan Martin to start at either OT position this year. He ranked 76th in the NFL last year. 76th.........let that sink in.........76th.

He led the NFL in hurries given up and he is a lame run blocker.

He just isn't a starter.

He had his chance to show that he could at least show something. He showed that he was grossly overdrafted.

He should have gone in the late 3rd round and been developed for two years before being expected to start.

No one should be expecting Jonathan Martin to start at either OT position this year. He ranked 76th in the NFL last year. 76th.........let that sink in.........76th.

He led the NFL in hurries given up and he is a lame run blocker.

He just isn't a starter.

He had his chance to show that he could at least show something. He showed that he was grossly overdrafted.

He should have gone in the late 3rd round and been developed for two years before being expected to start.

The reason why Martin was not a first rounder last season is because he lacked strength. He played in that finessee offense at Stanford and did a damn good job protecting Luck's blindside. From where he was in camp to preeason to RT to LT throughout the season . . . he came a LONG way. There is no reason a guy with his smarts and his athletic feet can't continue improving by gaining more strength in the weight room and more experience in games.

I'd still rather see a healthy Long at LT - pay him the $$$ - not Sean "can't make a play" Smith.

I think it will definitely add to his quickness which should make him more effective off the edge. I'd rather him inside, but if we were to resign Randy, having Odrick at DE again isn't a bad fallback option as there is no guarantee's that any of these college DE's in this draft are better than him.

Not sure why folks are down on smith, he was able to lock down some of the best receivers in the league ie Larry Fitzgerald and there were a couple others too. Yea he struggled a bit against smaller quicker WR but a better pass rush would help that I say sign him for whatever above average CB make now a days

Not sure why folks are down on smith, he was able to lock down some of the best receivers in the league ie Larry Fitzgerald and there were a couple others too. Yea he struggled a bit against smaller quicker WR but a better pass rush would help that I say sign him for whatever above average CB make now a days

Smith and Davis was a good combo . . . one that I hoped we would have for the next decade. I think both of their best football days are ahead of them. To lose both in less than a year would be disappointing.

Hes just the latest hate figure. Hartline gets it as well.

The biggest knock on Martin was his strength, and that's why a first round talent was had in the second round. A full offseason in an NFL weight room will certainly get his ass into shape.

I'm not sure how to put this delicately ... but if Martin is our starting LT, and we play a backup or draftee at RT, then we need to throw a lot of money at Matt Moore, because Tannehill is going to get injured. I'm hoping Martin makes a dramatic improvement next season ... but let's face it, that's just to be a competent RIGHT Tackle with help. If we intend to put him on an island at LT and provide help to a backup/rookie at RT, we're in deeeeeeeeep trouble. :(

Better to keep Martin at RT until he matures and can block better on that side before moving him over. Draft a LT in the first round if Long is let go, maybe lane Johnson looks like a Long clone but faster.

I don't see how you can say this. He might have had a good game against Arizona, the team with the worst QBs in the NFL, but he routinely gets beat more than any other DB on the Dolphins. Even by very average WRs. I know some will say there are 'haters' or whatnot, but I can't think of another starting CB for the Dolphins in the last few years that got beat as often as Smith. His best plays were when he got beat and the ball was underthrown, even then he would drop the easy INT.

To pay him AVERAGE money is crazy, ELITE money would be ridiculous and enough to change the GM. Watch him on film before you say people are just hating....

Back
Top Bottom