Dolphins C Mike Pouncey could miss entire preseason | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins C Mike Pouncey could miss entire preseason

Good thing we have 4 guys that can play the pivot in the building

The problem is that if you take what you are counting on out of the center -- that is, a healthy and throwback Pouncey -- then you weaken the rest of the team by starting the domino effect of perhaps taking away one or more of your best guards (on a team that isn't deep in GREAT guard play already), and then having your center perform at a level below what you planned on.

That domino effect, to this point, over the last few years, has hurt Miami. Players playing out of position and lower-tier players pressed into duty.

Some of that is on the players on the roster, and some of it has to be on the coaches. Other teams somehow manage to shuffle together and stay in top 15 in the league, perennially, on OL. Miami manages to not only stay in bottom twenty percent, but sometimes do so by such a wide margin as being the worst unit OL play that many of us seen. Up until cutting Thomas last year, it was the same horrid song and dance up the middle. Hate to see that repeated on even a fraction of that level, by counting on Pouncey, losing him, and then starting musical chairs with limited talent.

LD

If you like him you have to realize he is done, hips don't lie. Have to get a center. Very unfortunate for us and Mike but it is what it is... can't count on him.

The one thing with Pouncey is he doesn't seem to need the practice or preseason to get up to speed. He goes from the training table to starting effectively. So I agree with sitting him for everything except conditioning and games. That said, I think Larsen was brought in as a contingency for Pouncey going down as much as he was to play guard. Bushrod is probably the RG whether Pouncey plays or not, and lucking out with Asiata in the 5th round means we could still be ok if Pouncey goes down with Larsen starting at center and Isaac on his left.

Wait...since when did anyone think Pouncey could/should play at all this preseason?

Lots of brakes need to be pumped in this thread. If he misses significant time this season we're likely moving on, and in the meantime, he is what will take our line from decent to damn good when he's on the field.

Id be more worried about the drop off athletically on the pivot without pouncey than tbe domino effect on other positions. None of these options are top shelf players at guard anyways. More serviceable types than anything else. Same thing as they are as pivots.

If asiata is another pivot option thats good for his chances to be active on sundays.

This is an opportunity to get prepared for Pouncey's eventual injury. I hope beyond hope that Mike can be healthy most of the season but I just don't see it happening. Center will be our big need next season...

I dont get the freaking out over this. Hes recovering from last years injury and they are doing it the right way. That started when gase held him out last year once he was healthy enough to play.

The way things are being managed, when he gets in there week 1, he should actually have a good shot to stay healthy. Gase has already made it clear hes not interested in seeing Pouncey practicing a whole lot.

No matter what Miami wants to say on this if you miss all week in game prep you are bound to have some rust on game day. Unless pouncey is super man.

If Pouncey plays at all in the season is a plus but he won't be in condition which leads to other types of injuries, if he's your best option and he's injured! then the team is in deep dod doo, if he can't get cleared by a date certain the dolphins need to IR him early to give him more time to heal and that Steen can develop into a decent center, after all Pouncey wasn't there last season and they did fine most of the time.

beaker.gif

I read the other day that Anthony Steen has gained 10 lbs this off-season after trying to gain weight and eat 5 meals a day. Hopefully that's not just table muscle but he's young and has some upside.

Id be more worried about the drop off athletically on the pivot without pouncey than tbe domino effect on other positions. None of these options are top shelf players at guard anyways. More serviceable types than anything else. Same thing as they are as pivots.

If asiata is another pivot option thats good for his chances to be active on sundays.
You are very low on asaita huh? I think he's a lock to start. Can't believe he fell to the 5th

No matter what Miami wants to say on this if you miss all week in game prep you are bound to have some rust on game day. Unless pouncey is super man.

Don't disagree, my guess is they can live with a little rust, or they'll do just enough to minimize it

Back
Top Bottom