Dolphins claim linebacker Justin March-Lillard | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins claim linebacker Justin March-Lillard

Not sure why people are so concerned with his size... the ILBs in a 3-4 have to take on more offensive lineman in their system than a 4-3 MLB since there are fewer down lineman. If anything, he should have more freedom than he was used to in KC.
Thanks for the input. I love your pic of Keith Traylor. Man was he fat.

Who is this guy and isn't there a veteran guy that's been cut-worth-trying out there?

They don't. I never said I wanted them to keep Lacey. I meant we cut him and bring someone else that looks just like him but like I said above, I believe this is for ST's

Ozzy rules!!

I don't think they cut Lacey because of his weight or size. If he could play and help the team he would have been kept. The Falcons run a 4-3 and start Dion Jones in the middle at 222 pounds. I'm not saying March-Lillard is as good as Jones, just saying if you can play you can play the 222 pounds is secondary.

I don't think they cut Lacey because of his weight or size. If he could play and help the team he would have been kept. The Falcons run a 4-3 and start Dion Jones in the middle at 222 pounds. I'm not saying March-Lillard is as good as Jones, just saying if you can play you can play the 222 pounds is secondary.

A 4-3 Under utilizes 3-4 personnel in a 4-3 front.

It's not the same as our 4-3 Over.

ILB assignments and responsibilities are very different b/w the two.

I live in KC and follow the Chiefs almost as much as the Fins and I think this is a great claim for the Fins. Coming out of college, he was a UDFA that won the coaching staff over right away. In this first year, he was the talk of training camp but it was a numbers game in KC, so they stashed him on IR to keep him around. Last year, he has an arm injury I think but at the time, he was in line to start next to Derrick Johnson. The Chiefs had already cut their 4th round pick Ramik Wilson so it shows you what they thought of him. The team ended up activating him over Jamaal Charles for their playoff run which says a lot knowing Jamaal's history with the team.

This off-season, the Chiefs invested in a few picks and trades for LBs that are more rangy than JML but he definitely has the talent to start. He's a thumper naturally but I've been impressed by his coverage ability given his size. Personally, once he gets the system down, I think he could legitimately challenge Rey for the job at MLB and is a definitive upgrade over Hull. Nice pick up by the FO on this one.

Ok cause I don't know much about him. And I don't think it's that hard to upgrade mike hull.

But if he's a limited range athlete that still doesn't help our massive nickel depth hole

Dion jones is allowed to run a whole lot more freely to the ball. And I seriously doubt he's 222 still. He's all post snap and elite level athlete though

But hed be light for the gap fill accountability at mike in this scheme. Be a weakside backer here.

Whatever we need bodies and ones that can play im not gonna worry so much about fitting the ideal profile when our lb level is horrific depth wise

Dion jones is allowed to run a whole lot more freely to the ball. And I seriously doubt he's 222 still. He's all post snap and elite level athlete though

But hed be light for the gap fill accountability at mike in this scheme. Be a weakside backer here.

Whatever we need bodies and ones that can play im not gonna worry so much about fitting the ideal profile when our lb level is horrific depth wise

He bumped up to 230# before last year.

He only dropped to the 220's to run a faster combine time.

BTW, who did we cut to make room for this LB anyway?

Ozzy rules!!

So now 4 mikes? Or is he the wilb in the kc 34?

I will link the article.... He shined in preseason for 2 years at WILB but I guess in his 5 games last year he was forced to play MLB and wasn't as spectacular. The article says he is good in run support and has a nack for the big play

March-Lillard is only a second-year pro, but he’s a smart player with really good instincts. He sees plays happening quickly — he’s got good eyes for the position — and has consistently displayed a knack for the big play in the practices I got to watch, though that trait didn’t really shine through in the five starts he made this year before he went on injured reserve because of a broken bone in his hand.

March-Lillard also struggled some with his gap fits before his injury, but I think part of that had to do with the fact he was playing “mike” linebacker, the position next to Johnson’s, instead of “will” linebacker, the position where he shined in preseason practices for the last two years. The “will” — or weak-side — inside linebacker in the Chiefs’ 3-4 scheme is allowed to run a chase a little more than the “mike,” who has to call out plays, take on blocks and help keep the “will” clean.

At 6 feet and about 240 pounds, March-Lillard fits the profile of a weakside inside ’backer better and, in my opinion, could have the eyes and athleticism to give the Chiefs at least some of what Johnson did, which will be necessary if they want to make a Super Bowl run.

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/red-zone/article122341474.html

I live in KC and follow the Chiefs almost as much as the Fins and I think this is a great claim for the Fins. Coming out of college, he was a UDFA that won the coaching staff over right away. In this first year, he was the talk of training camp but it was a numbers game in KC, so they stashed him on IR to keep him around. Last year, he has an arm injury I think but at the time, he was in line to start next to Derrick Johnson. The Chiefs had already cut their 4th round pick Ramik Wilson so it shows you what they thought of him. The team ended up activating him over Jamaal Charles for their playoff run which says a lot knowing Jamaal's history with the team.

This off-season, the Chiefs invested in a few picks and trades for LBs that are more rangy than JML but he definitely has the talent to start. He's a thumper naturally but I've been impressed by his coverage ability given his size. Personally, once he gets the system down, I think he could legitimately challenge Rey for the job at MLB and is a definitive upgrade over Hull. Nice pick up by the FO on this one.

Great insight. Much appreciated. This is the type of info that bring better understanding to why the FO made the move.

Back
Top Bottom