Dolphins Dilemma At DE | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins Dilemma At DE

So Be

Club Member
Reaction score
This is a problem all teams would love to have but, is also a problem to sort out snaps and get all the players on the field.

Wake is an All Pro, and his returning to health will be a big plus to our D. Vernon took a big step frfard last year, and I expect another this year. So, we are set.

Not so fast. Jordan flashed, and may have more talent than both. Playing him 20 snaps a game last year was questionable at best. This year, the #3pick MUST play but where, and who does he replace? We appear to be set on him being a DE, which I do not agree with, but, he still has to be on the field. Does a 3 man rotation work? Not sure.

And don't forget about Shelby, who has really impressed me in limited play. What to do?

I am confused here. We cannot trade Jordan, and I love Wake and OV as players. Will a 3 man rotation, like DT, work out?

we play more 3-3-5
We kick Vernon inside next to Odrick on passing downs
We have fresh rushers in the 4th quarter thats a good thing

we play more 3-3-5
We kick Vernon inside next to Odrick on passing downs
We have fresh rushers in the 4th quarter thats a good thing

I don't agree but, if we did the same as last year, Jordan got 20 snaps a game with Wake being injured. Who gives up playing time to get him on the field or do we keep him as a part time situational pass rusher?

Never heard of having to much talent being a bad thing....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One thing it is not, is a problem..

Last edited by a moderator:
Wake will start. Vernon and Jordan will compete in camp. Vernon won the starting job last year over the others with an impressive training camp. I wouldn't be surprised if Jordan wins the job but Vernon will still have a role and vice versa id Vernon wins the job. Shelby will be used to spell wake.

If teams start to string long drives together we can always have a fresh pass rusher to spell in to help bring up a stop. Can never have too many pass rushers.

Vernon will shift inside a great deal....he was very effective their as a pass rusher there. I think a rotation will be fine though anyways. With the way the league is you are in nickel as much as they are base. Jordan is going to need more snaps than last year thats for sure...

In obvious passing downs when ahead or late in the game play him at DT...he's 6'6" with long arms, even if he can't beat a guard he can leap right? JJ Watt is fantastic at it. Or he could feint a rush and fall back to a zone with his athleticism. It was a crime he didn't get more playing time when Wake was not playing. I honestly think it was part of the power struggle between Ireland and Philbin. Philbin wanted Albert, nope. Philbin wanted a high pick tackle...nope. Ireland decided to trade up and draft a guy that was playing the same position as your best defensive player. Not saying its right, but I do believe that played a part in it. Plus Philbin tends to play veterans more than rooks anyway. I do expect a jump from Jordan this year.

Wake and Jordan should start (if hes ready) and rotate OV and Shelby with them. Vernon is getting paid much less than Jordan and Jordan cost us 2 picks, so he HAS to be starting unless Vernon is that much better than Jordan. Id rather get Jordan more playing time becuase he has more potential than OV.

Now we have too much talent?!

I wonder what the 1972 Finheaven posts would have looked like? ;)

Shelby has improved??

I think we are good to go at pass rushing DEs .... and don't need to do much about having '3', except getting Jordan on the field more often - especially as a hybrid. Next year is when there may need to be some decision about the roster, based on Wake's health - he's been kind of knicked up the last 2 seasons ... which would lead one to believe it will happen again this year. It will work itself out ....

Having an All Pro, a very good and a potential All Pro is a very good problem to have.

I would use Jordan at 4-3 OLB occasionally like Von miller. If he rotates at DE and plays OLB occasionally he should see the field more. Also using Wake, Vernon, and Jordan on 3rd down would be awesome.

I honestly think it was part of the power struggle between Ireland and Philbin.

ya know, i keep seeing this kind of thing and its getting more press than it deserves. in fact, ther should be NONE!!

so, this power struggle: the contract was easy. jeff ireland ran the draft and picked the players. joe philbin ran the practices and games and decided who plays and who starts.

the big power struggle was with ireland and aponte. and IF philbin was "with aponte" Iin any way, it was only in the fact that philbin was tired of getting wasted drafts and f/a's. and i am sure ireland probably butted his head in where he wasnt supposed to. his guys were not panning out, he blamed philbin because ireland new his time was short and his decisions have been under mass scrutiny for the last several years, especially the last two.

but all this "philbin didnt like ireland so he wouldnt play "his" players!! NONSENSE!! philbin is a new h/c. he has to build a reputation. you do that by winning! he isnt jeopardizing his career by sabotaging wins sitting quality players.

DION AT THIS MOMENT ISNT A QUALITY PLAYER!! he struggled in every phase accept getting off the line quick which didnt turn into sacks and he wasnt good at stopping the run. he had a a red flag on him coming out of college as not being the pass rusher/sack artists some had him pegged. and its showing up big time in the nfl, especially since he only has ONE pass rush move!! the guy should be an olb in a 3/4. i think 99% of the fans and media know that. but, that was ireland!!

sure they shut him down! he was injured and was getting owned and the coaches decided to not wreck his confidence and doubting himself. this was the RIGHT move.

but so many think that philbin was taking this awsome, unstopable talent and keeping him on the bench to get back at ireland somehow. THIS ONLY HURTS PHILBIN AND HIS STAFF!! he wouldnt, and didnt do that.

so i hope people will stop and think about this and DROP IT!!!! philbin wants to win and you have to have your BEST TALENT on the field to do it. there is NO conspiracy, not with dion or any other player on the finz roster.

Back
Top Bottom