Dolphins expected to not use the franchise tag on Christian Wilkins | Page 13 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins expected to not use the franchise tag on Christian Wilkins

My post did not start out in hearsay. There is absolutely no article out there that knows for a fact that he wanted 24 mil per year. THAT is hearsay but it's never actually been confirmed by anyone in the building. How is that hearsay/hyperbole?

Also, technically we have two RBs but who the hell is counting Ahmed?

This year was exciting for sure but it has no foundation. We never had one. And you respect Grier for that? Look at how many holes we have in this roster right now relative to our cap ffs!!! You are an easy one to please bud.

Ahmed’s the one who isn’t under contract.

There are 4 who are

But yeah I do think we’ve built a good team and were very unlucky with how the season ended last year

However, if we lose all of Wilkins, AVG, Hunt and Williams … without decent replacements … my faith will be tested!

Agreed.

2 seasons ago, Miamis offense had to win shootouts quite often when the defense stunk. Heck even last season the first 9-10 weeks was the offense.

Now, with Wilkins leaving etc. It's clear the defense will take a step back.

Build the offense, solidify the O line and see if they can carry the team. Unless a guy like Taylor falls to 55, I wouldn't mind this being an all offensive draft.

Like you said, maybe by 2025 the defense can be back up to par. The upside is that letting guys like Wilkins/ Hunt etc leave, atleast we should be getting comp pick for 2025. So, barring Grier going crazy, Miami should have a good amount of draft capital to address the defense
The good news is we have all of our ‘25 picks plus another 5th rounder already. Add say two decent comp picks, a 3 and a 5 to take a guess, and we now have 10 picks with 8 of them in first 5 rounds. Should be able to fill a few holes and retool the D with some young talent then.

Ahmed’s the one who isn’t under contract.

There are 4 who are

But yeah I do think we’ve built a good team and were very unlucky with how the season ended last year

However, if we lose all of Wilkins, AVG, Hunt and Williams … without decent replacements … my faith will be tested!
Ah ok. Yes. I thought Mostert and Wilson both signed 1 year deals last year but it was 2. And I was wrong about Ahmed. Thanks for the correction.

Still, the RB room needs help. I absolutely love mostert but we can't depend on just those two. I say that because Wilson is just hurt all the time and Brooks seen the field maybe a handful of times. It needs an upgrade or change. We got lucky last year with our RBs being hurt at different times rather than all at once. We were able to play musical chairs with them

Ah ok. Yes. I thought Mostert and Wilson both signed 1 year deals last year. Mosterts was two years. And I was wrong about Ahmed. Thanks for the correction.

Still, the RB room needs help. I absolutely love mostert but we can't depend on just those two. We need to add two more

Chris Brooks showed quite a bit of ability. I know myself and a lot of others were bummed we couldn’t bring him back off IR last year. He’s a hammer and very likely will be on the roster.

RB is probably our deepest position on the roster right now. Don’t expect much to be added there with the limited resources. 2025 is more likely.

Last edited:
He may not be the guy...

He might...

I'm not sure that I know.
I’m on board with that. I do understand not extending him and having him play under the 5th year option is punting on 2024 because of the cap ramifications of the 5th year option. I certainly don’t want that.

Chris Brooks showed quite a bit of ability. I know myself and a lot of others were bummed we couldn’t bring back of IR last year. He’s a hammer and very likely will be on the roster.

RB is probably our deepest position on the roster right now. Don’t expect much to be added there with the limited resources. 2025 is more likely.
Yeah so I edited my post. You got it before that. I like what I seen from Brooks too but pretty much all of our RBs got hurt last year. Just thankfully it was at different times.

If Wilkins leaves, which now looks inevitable, that has to change Miami's thinking in the draft.

Of course, if the Dolphins sign Tua quickly maybe they might reconsider the franchise tag for Wilkins.

Still time, but not looking positive for Wilkins to remain in Miami.

Doesn't look like much available in free agency at defensive tackle. That means the replacement would likely be a draft pick.

We should have game him the couple more mil last year and been done with it. The cap goes up every year and we could've spread that out with an out after a few years... but no. Grier just Griered this team again. We are all going to miss him chasing players halfway down the field for tackles... ****ing dolphins man
I love Wilkins energy, but I'd rather fix the issue with guys running with the ball halfway down the field than paying a DT to chase them down. 😆

It's apparent that WIlkins will not accept anything but top money from here, and we can't afford it. So, if I'm Grier, I'm burning up the phones with Chicago, the Texicans, Cleveland, Minnesota or anybody else that has either draft choices and or the money to pay him. The I tag him and trade him. Why? It keeps it from becoming a bidding war which some team over pay's for his services, his price is a fixed commodity, and we get draft capital that we need to start to replace him.

Your post starts off with hearsay and then moves on to opinion. Restating in ever more hysterical terms your dislike of Grier.

Obviously you’re entitled to this opinion … but don’t confuse it with facts.

There are a few facts sprinkled in to your rant towards the end re positions that need to be filled. Although your hyperbole means they’re not 100% accurate …

And your point about having only 1 RB under contract is just wrong. An anti-fact!

To your last point … I can respect Grier for building an exciting team led by a young, smart coach.

The injuries to Phillips, Chubb and Williams absolutely torpedoed our season.

I find it hard to blame the GM for that

But you’ve said you take swipes at Grier not just because of how he’s built the team but because you don’t like him … so you probably disagree

Your post starts off with hearsay and then moves on to opinion. Restating in ever more hysterical terms your dislike of Grier.

Obviously you’re entitled to this opinion … but don’t confuse it with facts.

There are a few facts sprinkled in to your rant towards the end re positions that need to be filled. Although your hyperbole means they’re not 100% accurate …

And your point about having only 1 RB under contract is just wrong. An anti-fact!

To your last point … I can respect Grier for building an exciting team led by a young, smart coach.

The injuries to Phillips, Chubb and Williams absolutely torpedoed our season.

I find it hard to blame the GM for that

But you’ve said you take swipes at Grier not just because of how he’s built the team but because you don’t like him … so you probably disagree

I couldn't have said it better myself!
Well, maybe a little better. - LOL

If Wilkins leaves, which now looks inevitable, that has to change Miami's thinking in the draft.

Of course, if the Dolphins sign Tua quickly maybe they might reconsider the franchise tag for Wilkins.

Still time, but not looking positive for Wilkins to remain in Miami.

Doesn't look like much available in free agency at defensive tackle. That means the replacement would likely be a draft pick.

With about $2.9M in cap savings, looks like Jeff Wilson is the odd man out. One would expect his days as a Dolphin are numbered, especially given his injury history.

He's someone I'd welcome back at the vet minimum later on but for now, you gotta let him go.

Should be a busy week in South Florida.

I think we need an all-purposes FA thread.

Back
Top Bottom