Dolphins’ first-rounder impressing | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins’ first-rounder impressing

People don't realize that even guys like Branch are hard to come by in the NFL at a reasonable rate. Wake and Branch are 14th and 15th in terms of average contract for a DE right now. Jabaal Sheard, Everson Griffen and Carlos Dunlap are the closest in average per year.

I realize the market is escalating quickly with the bigger cap but Everson Griffen and Dunlap have around 30 sacks each over the last 3 years and signed deals in 2013 & 2014. Sheard is basically on a 1 year deal (9.5 guaranteed) and has had at least 5 sacks a year 5 of the 6 years he has been in the league. Branch has done that 2 out of 5 years and got 16.8M guaranteed.

I realize the market is escalating quickly with the bigger cap but Everson Griffen and Dunlap have around 30 sacks each over the last 3 years and signed deals in 2013 & 2014. Sheard is basically on a 1 year deal (9.5 guaranteed) and has had at least 5 sacks a year 5 of the 6 years he has been in the league. Branch has done that 2 out of 5 years and got 16.8M guaranteed.

Point is we could have retained a guy like Vernon who had 7.5 sacks opposite Wake and 8.5 opposite JPP the next year at 13m. What did Vernon ever do to get two top DE money? He's only broke double digit sacks once and Wake has done it four times and probably would have been five if not for his injury.

So while I understand the point of saying "Branch is over paid" I don't really agree from a market standpoint there is a piss poor class of DE's hitting the market in 2018 as free agents. Most of which are backups and have less production than Branch.

So Miami locked Branch up, drafted a DE and signed a DE. In fact it wouldn't hurt my feelings if they draft another DE next year also. Wake is eventually going to age, I mean the dude is superman but it can't stay that way forever. Harris needs to become Wake's replacement and Branch fills a role until there is a new Branch.

This is why I wanted him from the start. Love this guy. He's going to be an elite pass rusher in no time, and as a run stopper, most importantly, he's got the will to work and get better. Can't teach his pass rushing skills, but you can coach him up to improve against the run. He's clearly coachable, so he WILL get better there.

Another great defensive end to keep tradition going when Wake walks off.

Frankly, after Wake leaves I would like to find a big base DE who can set the edge. Not sure if Harris is the guy to be playing on the strong side. Barring injury, Wake will be here for the next two years and so will Branch. I see Harris as more of a long term weak side guy. I would rather find that big strong side guy who can set the edge. Would have loved to get Jordan Willis for that role but we could end up extending Hayes.

When you look at how much we are spending on DEs as a group, we are probably way under what some teams spend on the position. I'm honestly not concerned if Branch is a little overpaid. I think having a complete set of defensive ends is more than worth what we are spending.

oh man....already having visions of a Harris celebration next to a grass stained and complaining to the ref Brady

Omar Kelly reported that the 2 Dolphins who have impressed him most in the OTA's are Xavien Howard and Charles Harris.

Man, wouldn't that be such a blessing if Xavien turns into who we think he's going to be sooner than later.

I thought it last year just watching him play.

Even when he got beat Vs. Watkins deep, he stayed poised.

The dude's got it all. Speed, Agility, Tracks the ball well, Strong, Great tackler, and most importantly isn't afraid of ANYONE.

If those 2 guys really do turn out to be studs (which they should based on draft status), The Miami Dolphins are easily a playoff team and a team nobody wants to play.

Last year we didn't know who are RB was going to be (found Ajayi), didn't know who was going to play CB (Now we have a slew of reliable guys), and tried to supplement the loss of Vernon with Mario Williams (fail)

Harris could make us forget about Wake like JT said about Wake at the time lol

Either way, Harris is going against a stud LT and (sometimes) winning.

I'd think Parker, Howard, Ajayi, Harris, and Tunsil develop rather quickly and Ajayi gets better (sky's the limit)

Man, wouldn't that be such a blessing if Xavien turns into who we think he's going to be sooner than later.

I thought it last year just watching him play.

Even when he got beat Vs. Watkins deep, he stayed poised.

The dude's got it all. Speed, Agility, Tracks the ball well, Strong, Great tackler, and most importantly isn't afraid of ANYONE.

If those 2 guys really do turn out to be studs (which they should based on draft status), The Miami Dolphins are easily a playoff team and a team nobody wants to play.

Last year we didn't know who are RB was going to be (found Ajayi), didn't know who was going to play CB (Now we have a slew of reliable guys), and tried to supplement the loss of Vernon with Mario Williams (fail)

Harris could make us forget about Wake like JT said about Wake at the time lol

Either way, Harris is going against a stud LT and (sometimes) winning.

I'd think Parker, Howard, Ajayi, Harris, and Tunsil develop rather quickly and Ajayi gets better (sky's the limit)

100% agree with everything above.

When you look at how much we are spending on DEs as a group, we are probably way under what some teams spend on the position. I'm honestly not concerned if Branch is a little overpaid. I think having a complete set of defensive ends is more than worth what we are spending.

What do you mean exactly by a complete set, Branch isn't that good of a pass rusher and he's pretty bad against the run so.....

I like Harris but man I think Tak McKinley could become another Shawne Merriman before the injuries.

What do you mean exactly by a complete set, Branch isn't that good of a pass rusher and he's pretty bad against the run so.....

Branch may not be special but he played solid after about the fourth game last year. I think we have four decent DEs, and if Harris excels from jump street, it's a very good unit. I don't think Branch is worth $8 million per, but free agency is all about overpaying. IMHO he ideally comes off the bench, but I'm not sure Harris is ready to start yet.

Back
Top Bottom