Dolphins Free Agency - Thoughts On What Will Happen? | Page 8 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins Free Agency - Thoughts On What Will Happen?

I believe Tua has been coached in his NFL career to get rid of the ball quickly, in part because of the porous OL. A little more time in the pocket might help him to get to his secondary reads or have a lane to escape from. We'll see how this all pans out. I am leery of The Big Contract! I remember whe Dan the Man was here and we couldn't afford a defense to complement him.

yeah, there was no facebook when I was going to all those Ozzy concerts .....wish I had pictures of all 22 times I saw him
hopefully you lucked into one of them where he bit the bat head off. i could swear he played the orange bowl once?

I believe Tua has been coached in his NFL career to get rid of the ball quickly, in part because of the porous OL. A little more time in the pocket might help him to get to his secondary reads or have a lane to escape from. We'll see how this all pans out. I am leery of The Big Contract! I remember whe Dan the Man was here and we couldn't afford a defense to complement him.
i agree with the time in the pocket this is part of the point of the whole thread and FA. we are losing hunt and williams, armstead is a question mark always re his injuries, and we need the OL to be better. FA is now critical. they have to solve the OL issue, and they dont have alot of money to do it

ben volin old dolphins beat reporter saying the dolphins are hoping armstead retires to clear more cap space. i guess someone is telling him this. if that happens, how do we replace LT, Center and Guard, especially when the OL might be the single most important thing for this offense?

The belt tightening isn’t done. Teams don’t need to be compliant with the salary cap until Wednesday at 4 p.m., and as of Friday morning, the Dolphins, Chargers, Bills, Ravens, Broncos, and Saints were over the cap. The Dolphins are probably hoping that left tackle Terron Armstead chooses retirement to help clear about $9.5 million. The Chargers can erase more than $43 million if they release pass rusher Khalil Mack and receiver Mike Williams. The Broncos made moves at receiver, restructuring Tim Patrick and then trading Jerry Jeudy to the Browns, and they could move on from Courtland Sutton.

Last edited:
also interesting from barry jackson....he is also at my $40mm number...but sadly does not provide a roadmap for how they get there, which is my question. all i know is they gotta figure something out quickly if they want to be players next week, and they really need to be because there are holes to fill:

The Dolphins must clear out more than $16 million off their salary cap to be cap compliant by the start of the league year at 4 p.m. Wednesday. But realistically, they need to clear out about $40 million in space to have the capacity to make competitive offers at several critical need positions when teams can legally begin speaking with other teams’ free agents at noon on Monday. If Christian Wilkins departs (which ESPN says is likely) and if Robert Hunt finds better offers elsewhere (that’s the expectation barring a dramatic increase in what Miami is willing to do), Miami will need to sign at least two defensive tackles (Raekwon Davis could be one of them), a starting inside linebacker, a starting cornerback, a safety, a guard and two edge players, among other needs.

Read more at: https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/nfl/miami-dolphins/article286477395.html#storylink=cpy

here is the quick way of finding $30mm, but probably need to find at least another $10mm on top of this. sadly this will also push some of the problem into the following years, but i guess only thing they can do now:

The number can also easily be reached with simple restructures of high-priced contracts of Ramsey and Hill, among others — or even extensions for them. The Dolphins can convert base salary for them into prorated bonuses that lower the 2024 cap hit but spread the burden out over future seasons while the players. They can save more than $30 million toward this year’s cap with such maneuvers.

here is the quick way of finding $30mm, but probably need to find at least another $10mm on top of this. sadly this will also push some of the problem into the following years, but i guess only thing they can do now:

The number can also easily be reached with simple restructures of high-priced contracts of Ramsey and Hill, among others — or even extensions for them. The Dolphins can convert base salary for them into prorated bonuses that lower the 2024 cap hit but spread the burden out over future seasons while the players. They can save more than $30 million toward this year’s cap with such maneuvers.
True. Have become cap compliant by some restructures. Since we don't have cap space for top free agents we can shop maybe 2nd and 3rd tier free agents with whatever restructures we end up doing. Going.to be tight for sure.

also interesting from barry jackson....he is also at my $40mm number...but sadly does not provide a roadmap for how they get there, which is my question. all i know is they gotta figure something out quickly if they want to be players next week, and they really need to be because there are holes to fill:

The Dolphins must clear out more than $16 million off their salary cap to be cap compliant by the start of the league year at 4 p.m. Wednesday. But realistically, they need to clear out about $40 million in space to have the capacity to make competitive offers at several critical need positions when teams can legally begin speaking with other teams’ free agents at noon on Monday. If Christian Wilkins departs (which ESPN says is likely) and if Robert Hunt finds better offers elsewhere (that’s the expectation barring a dramatic increase in what Miami is willing to do), Miami will need to sign at least two defensive tackles (Raekwon Davis could be one of them), a starting inside linebacker, a starting cornerback, a safety, a guard and two edge players, among other needs.

Read more at: https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/nfl/miami-dolphins/article286477395.html#storylink=cpy

Doesn't seem tight at all.😳

1710033475145.gif

i agree with the time in the pocket this is part of the point of the whole thread and FA. we are losing hunt and williams, armstead is a question mark always re his injuries, and we need the OL to be better. FA is now critical. they have to solve the OL issue, and they dont have alot of money to do it

Won't we be better off drafting Offensive Lineman since this draft seems to be fairly deep with them?

After the draft is when I would look to FA for supplemental short-term Offensive Line support.

I suspect that our Front Office has been eyeing any available veteran offensive linemen for a long time but based on our need, which will be better clarified after the draft. Our cap space will force us to get less expensive vets and that, in turn, will limit us to less capable, or higher risk, more capable vets with questionable futures.

Back
Top Bottom