Dolphins Free Agency - Thoughts On What Will Happen? | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins Free Agency - Thoughts On What Will Happen?

I have no doubt you’re an articulate person. We’ve had debates on whether or not your posts are divisive, but this one seems genuine in an attempt at starting discussion.

Those are a lot of different topics, however. Regarding the cap, they are not yet compliant.

However, there are plenty of ways to become cap compliant. Restructures is one way.

Another part of the reason they’re over is because of players owed no money in 2024. Let me ask you this: If Miami cut Anthony Schwartz, Quinton Bell, Dayvion Nixon, Isaiah Mack, Chasen Hines, Zeke Vandenburgh and Mathew Sexton tomorrow, would your reaction be anything other than “who?”

Me either. And just doing that gets you more than a third of the way there.

I’m not saying Miami’s going to cut all of those players. The point is that they’re going to be able to create cap space.
Actually cutting all those players wouldn’t do anything for our cap because they’re all lower 51 which means most of them won’t count anyway. I get your point though but the restructuring most likely will come from Hill and Ramsey.....the other way would have been extending Tua to lower his cap number for 2024 but the word is this won’t get done till way after March-15 so that's not going to help us now.

I used to get Dolphins Digest and used to read it so quick that I'd read it twice cause there was nothing else to read......lol
Actually used to get the herald but it'd be like a small article here and there.......those were the days when the draft was on a Tuesday and it'd start at 8am(I was at work) and end about 2am(there were 12 rounds).....espn used to show the 1st round only and you had to wait till the next day to read in the paper about who we drafted in all the other rounds.

Can you imagine people having to wait till the next day to see who we drafted in the 2nd round....they'd go crazy
Remember Dolphin Denny too? The good old days. The orange bowl was great too. I was at all those games as a kid. Dolphins-Chargers, UM National Championship vs Nebraska, BC Flutie Game, Dolphins-Jets, all the classics. Now we have a goddam indian burial ground jinx stadium!!!!! I miss the Orange Bowl

Actually cutting all those players wouldn’t do anything for our cap because they’re all lower 51 which means most of them won’t count anyway. I get your point though but the restructuring most likely will come from Hill and Ramsey.....the other way would have been extending Tua to lower his cap number for 2024 but the word is this won’t get done till way after March-15 so that's not going to help us now.
chubb contract is apparently the other one that is a candidate for restructure....need to go to the big ones to find the big money. remember need not only to be cap compliant, but want to have dry powder going into FA next week...probably at least $20mm? So it seems like they need to find $40mm to be able to do stuff next week

That’s my point. The lower 51 is already under the cap. There are plenty of players (Cotton, Brooks, etc) who are at the same salary as people I mentioned. They’re not going to be cut, obv, but some of the others are candidates to help get closer.

I used to get Dolphins Digest and used to read it so quick that I'd read it twice cause there was nothing else to read......lol
Actually used to get the herald but it'd be like a small article here and there.......those were the days when the draft was on a Tuesday and it'd start at 8am(I was at work) and end about 2am(there were 12 rounds).....espn used to show the 1st round only and you had to wait till the next day to read in the paper about who we drafted in all the other rounds.

Can you imagine people having to wait till the next day to see who we drafted in the 2nd round....they'd go crazy
I may still have some of my Dolphins Digests from around the start of the Marino years. We still are finding items from our cross country move four years ago.

I may still have some of my Dolphins Digests from around the start of the Marino years. We still are finding items from our cross country move four years ago.
I used to give mine to a friend from work after I was done reading it so that he could read it too so I don’t have any left....I used to get TSN also back in the day

Your thread asks too many questions. Without a more limited focus, thinks will be murky... but I'm killing time while grilling, so each question, in order.

1. No, we are not technically compliant yet. Likely... a couple players will have their salaries converted to bonuses.

2. Rabbit? No, but resigning Hunt is most likely, protecting Tua is job #1, and such a young player can sign a 5 year contract that spreads out the risk.

3. Dont really care and have given it zero thought.

4. Hunt and bargain Free Agents... a linebacker, safety, and Center, possibly a big RB.

5. Again... Hunt. He's the smart signing. Pissed? Any expensive player, especially a LB.

6. I'm guessing that Tua takes more time.

7. Neither happy or upset. I predicted almost all of this, so it just is. I was very happy with the Jonnu signing. More like that would be great.
Word is hunt could be in the $15 million per year area, so it’s highly unlikely we will be able to resign him. Maybe we could sign someone like John Runyon who plays out of the same system in Green Bay, or someone like that for half of what Hunt is projected to get.

Conner Williams will be post Jun1 if we are able to do anything with him I should imagine.

Dude that call on Wilkins for roughing the passer? It was a horrible call.

Anyways the rest of team does get a lot of penalties. But Wilkins doesn’t
He just posted proof that Wilkins was tied for the most penalties on the team lol

I have no doubt you’re an articulate person. We’ve had debates on whether or not your posts are divisive, but this one seems genuine in an attempt at starting discussion.

Those are a lot of different topics, however. Regarding the cap, they are not yet compliant.

However, there are plenty of ways to become cap compliant. Restructures is one way.

Another part of the reason they’re over is because of players owed no money in 2024. Let me ask you this: If Miami cut Anthony Schwartz, Quinton Bell, Dayvion Nixon, Isaiah Mack, Chasen Hines, Zeke Vandenburgh and Mathew Sexton tomorrow, would your reaction be anything other than “who?”

Me either. And just doing that gets you more than a third of the way there.

I’m not saying Miami’s going to cut all of those players. The point is that they’re going to be able to create cap space.
Right now, we only have 46 players on the roster. Cut those guys and you still have to pay their replacements.

Word is hunt could be in the $15 million per year area, so it’s highly unlikely we will be able to resign him. Maybe we could sign someone like John Runyon who plays out of the same system in Green Bay, or someone like that for half of what Hunt is projected to get.

Conner Williams will be post Jun1 if we are able to do anything with him I should imagine.
That number really doesn't scare me. Armstead falls off in 2025. It would be a salary swap... and we'd be getting a younger player.

We could go cheaper, but then we'd be going older, probably more fragile.

But yes, you may be correct.

I think Wilkins, Hunt and Van Ginkel are all going to sign contracts above the going rates. I'm not expecting any of them back.

Needham, Brandon Jones and Deshon Elliott have fair chances of returning. There is an overload of players at CB and Safety, this F/A period. Anyone of them could return on a relatively cheap deal. Perhaps on multi year deals.

If you're of the belief Grier is telling the truth, than Look for Wynn to return. Robert Jones is RFA, so he will return, question will it be for one year or more?

Omar made a point that extending Hills contract would be more beneficial to Miami than a restructure. And I agree with him.

It also appears both Chubb and Ramsey will be asked to restructure. Hopefully they agree and help Miami. Although I'd leave Chubb as is. He becomes an easy cut after next season. Hopefully Waddle and Phillips agree to extensions, but I'm not anticipating that. I've also saw Omar suggest extending Seiler, which makes sense.

Lastly as for F/A signings, I think it's safe to say the days of the big fish signings are over. It's mid tier and bargain shopping for the foreseeable future; especially now that Tua, will become a $50m per year player.

When Tua's deal is finalized, I'd love to see Miami, start a trend of stockpiling draft picks in an effort to offset the bigger contracts. Baltimore and San Francisco seem to do this well. At one point a few years ago Baltimore had 6 4th round picks. It's the smart way to conduct business.

Last edited:
When Tua's deal is done, I'd love to see Miami, start a trend of stockpiling draft picks in an effort to offset the bigger contracts. Baltimore and San Francisco seem to do this well. At one point a few years ago Baltimore had 6 4th round picks. It's the smart way to conduct business.
100%

I think Wilkins, Hunt and Van Ginkel are all going to sign contracts above the going rates. I'm not expecting any of them back.

Needham, Brandon Jones and Deshon Elliott have fair chances of returning. There is an overload of players at CB and Safety, this F/A period. Anyone of them could return on a relatively cheap deal. Perhaps on multi year deals.

If you're of the belief Grier is telling the truth, than Look for Wynn to return. Robert Jones is RFA, so he will return, question will it be for one year or more?

Omar made a point that extending Hills contract would be more beneficial to Miami than a restructure. And I agree with him.

It also appears both Chubb and Ramsey will be asked to restructure. Hopefully they agree and help Miami. Although I'd leave Chubb as is. He becomes an easy cut after next season. Hopefully Waddle and Phillips agree to extensions, but I'm not anticipating that. I've also saw Omar suggest extending Seiler, which makes sense.

Lastly as for F/A signings, I think it's safe to say the days of the big fish signings are over. It's mid tier and bargain shopping for the foreseeable future; especially now that Tua, will become a $50m per year player.
sorry but NOTHING omar has to saw ever makes sense.....lol

When Tua's deal is done, I'd love to see Miami, start a trend of stockpiling draft picks in an effort to offset the bigger contracts. Baltimore and San Francisco seem to do this well. At one point a few years ago Baltimore had 6 4th round picks. It's the smart way to conduct business.
You're assuming that Tua is the answer. Besides Tua, you are right that they need to come up with a better way of replenishing talent and filling holes.

Back
Top Bottom