Dolphins inquire about UM basketball player Erik Swoope | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins inquire about UM basketball player Erik Swoope

Daytona Fin

Queeks Draw
Club Member
Reaction score
Dolphins have interests UM basketball player Erik Swoope

Glad to hear they are looking at tight ends.

According to a UM source, the Dolphins have expressed interest in highly-athletic 6-5 UM basketball player Erik Swoope --- who has never played Pop Warner, high school or college football --– in the wake of the Denver Broncos working him out last week.

The Broncos called UM coach Jim Larranaga to express interest, and “I was completely shocked,” Swoope told Yahoo.com. “That was the last thing I expected Coach L to tell me.” Besides Miami and Denver, the Kansas City Chiefs also have inquired.

The Broncos believe he can make the transition from a basketball forward to a football tight end, like former UM and New Orleans Saints standout Jimmy Graham has.

It will be interesting to see how many teams offer Swoope a free agent contract after the draft, presuming he goes undrafted. Swoope has not hired an agent but has declared himself for the NFL Draft, opting to do that instead of playing basketball for a season at UM while attending graduate school.

Swoope, who has talked about the transition with Graham, avaraged 5.0 points and 2.7 rebounds last season, and Larranaga has conceded that he wishes he had played him more early in the season. He showed a knack for dazzling dunks and for leaping over taller players for rebounds.

Read more here: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/spor...about-um-basketball-player.html#storylink=cpy

Also from Jackson's article. We were interested in Graham but Sparano liked John Jerry :bobdole:

UM had some interest in Graham in the 2010 draft, but Tony Sparano loved John Jerry and Bill Parcells --- after consulting with Sparano and his scouts --- decided Jerry would be a better choice than Graham at No. 73. The Saints took Graham 95th, and Miami has regretted that decision ever since.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was just asking about this guy in the draft forum. But it seems that he needs to gain a bunch of weight to be a TE and also lacks any previous football experience. Looks like a guy out of options too short for his position in the nba. So he's trying his luck in the nfl. Went to UM where Jimmy Graham made the same transition. Difference being Graham played football his senior year. Swoope didnt

Sweet deal! We have nothing to lose and wow what a brilliant idea by the broncos.

And Ouch that last paragraph physically hurts reading!

The guy never played an organized, serious version of the game his entire life, but can declare for the holy grail of football drafts? Is that all it takes now? Maintain a body that's 6'5 230 lbs + and you can draw interest from the game's elite?

I would spend a 7th for him in the draft, but if he wants to play for the fins, I would rather sign him as a free agent

Difference being Graham played football his senior year. Swoope didnt

Graham didn't just walk on the field and be great at football. I remember several drops of potential TD passes before he figure the game out.
As a long term project this might be good but i would not use a draft choice. We need help now.

Wouldn't even think of drafting him. But as an UDFA, sure, try to develop him. I'm still on the Niklas train, just not sure we can afford a high pick on him. If he lasted until the 3rd, great. Or if we could trade down and have multiple seconds or thirds

He could have played football this upcoming year at UM if he so desired, but I believe he declared for the draft following the interest from Denver. He is and incredible explosive athlete, but the lack of football experience, and current slight physique for a TE should keep him off draft boards. IMHO he would have been well served playing one year of college ball.

No chance he gets drafted but sure bring him to camp

And the fact he never even played a snap of cfb and ran for the money asap makes me deeply question his character

Dude that is so far off base...the kid is trying to pursue a dream. Good luck to him.

And I suppose he couldnt have followed this dream after spending a year actually learning to play the sport?

And I suppose he couldnt have followed this dream after spending a year actually learning to play the sport?

He was caught completely off guard when Coach L told him that NFL scouts had requested him to work out for a possible gig in the NFL. He had no idea it was even an option until just a couple weeks ago. I wish the best for him.

Shoot I am 6'4 245 and I have played football forever. I'll be waiting on your call Mr.Hickey.

Not worth a draft pick , work him out I guess. Personally with no background at all in football he doesn't really deserve a shot but u never know. I guess u could put him on practice squad and work him for a year if u saw potential.
Kind of a slap in the face to guys that have actually played football at some level. The nfl draft has become more about what u do in shorts anyway so why not.

Sparano and Parcells liked John Jerry over Jimmy Graham. That right there is Miami Dolphins football to anyone who was born in the last 20 years.

Back
Top Bottom