Dolphins inquire about UM basketball player Erik Swoope

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Daytona Fin, Apr 17, 2014.

1. Daytona Fin

Daytona Fin Playoffs Moderator Finheaven VIP

Dolphins have interests UM basketball player Erik Swoope

Glad to hear they are looking at tight ends.

Read more here: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/spor...about-um-basketball-player.html#storylink=cpy

Also from Jackson's article. We were interested in Graham but Sparano liked John Jerry :bobdole:

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 17, 2014
  2. nick1

nick1 I am Groot Moderator Finheaven VIP

I was just asking about this guy in the draft forum. But it seems that he needs to gain a bunch of weight to be a TE and also lacks any previous football experience. Looks like a guy out of options too short for his position in the nba. So he's trying his luck in the nfl. Went to UM where Jimmy Graham made the same transition. Difference being Graham played football his senior year. Swoope didnt

3. One Love

One Love star traveler ✨✨ Donator

Sweet deal! We have nothing to lose and wow what a brilliant idea by the broncos.

And Ouch that last paragraph physically hurts reading!

4. AFCMiamiEast

AFCMiamiEast A True Fan

The guy never played an organized, serious version of the game his entire life, but can declare for the holy grail of football drafts? Is that all it takes now? Maintain a body that's 6'5 230 lbs + and you can draw interest from the game's elite?

5. LANGER72

LANGER72 A True Fan

I would spend a 7th for him in the draft, but if he wants to play for the fins, I would rather sign him as a free agent

6. fishfanmiami

fishfanmiami Have you seen junior's grades ? Moderator Finheaven VIP

Graham didn't just walk on the field and be great at football. I remember several drops of potential TD passes before he figure the game out.
    As a long term project this might be good but i would not use a draft choice. We need help now.

7. Travis34

Travis34 chea Finheaven VIP Donator

Wouldn't even think of drafting him. But as an UDFA, sure, try to develop him. I'm still on the Niklas train, just not sure we can afford a high pick on him. If he lasted until the 3rd, great. Or if we could trade down and have multiple seconds or thirds

8. fininpsl

fininpsl A True Fan

He could have played football this upcoming year at UM if he so desired, but I believe he declared for the draft following the interest from Denver. He is and incredible explosive athlete, but the lack of football experience, and current slight physique for a TE should keep him off draft boards. IMHO he would have been well served playing one year of college ball.

9. uk_dolfan

uk_dolfan Founder of the FH Adam Gase fan club Moderator Finheaven VIP

No chance he gets drafted but sure bring him to camp

And the fact he never even played a snap of cfb and ran for the money asap makes me deeply question his character

10. AFCMiamiEast

AFCMiamiEast A True Fan

Dude that is so far off base...the kid is trying to pursue a dream. Good luck to him.

11. uk_dolfan

And I suppose he couldnt have followed this dream after spending a year actually learning to play the sport?

12. AFCMiamiEast

AFCMiamiEast A True Fan

He was caught completely off guard when Coach L told him that NFL scouts had requested him to work out for a possible gig in the NFL. He had no idea it was even an option until just a couple weeks ago. I wish the best for him.

13. dobrasz54

dobrasz54 Scout Team Finheaven VIP Donator

Shoot I am 6'4 245 and I have played football forever. I'll be waiting on your call Mr.Hickey.

14. dlockz

dlockz Hall Of Famer

Not worth a draft pick , work him out I guess. Personally with no background at all in football he doesn't really deserve a shot but u never know. I guess u could put him on practice squad and work him for a year if u saw potential.
    Kind of a slap in the face to guys that have actually played football at some level. The nfl draft has become more about what u do in shorts anyway so why not.

15. DuderinoN703

DuderinoN703 I can get you a toe Finheaven VIP Donator

Sparano and Parcells liked John Jerry over Jimmy Graham. That right there is Miami Dolphins football to anyone who was born in the last 20 years.

16. Krush

Krush Finaholic Donator

Do you get it? what slap in the face? this is a franchise that is a business, if he shows more potential than the tightends on the dolphins then why not bring him in, after all thet're not spending your money. You're said the same thing about Jimmy Graham.

17. dlockz

dlockz Hall Of Famer

Lets quit comparing a guy that had never played football at any level to graham that had

18. GEORGIA FIN

GEORGIA FIN FIN FOR LIFE

Hickey and Philbin don't have time for projects, they need players. Pretty sure Jeffy left them a basket full of acorns.

19. Fin Fan in Cali

Fin Fan in Cali Joanne Shaw Taylor Super Donator

Got to do your homework on all players. You never know if he could be another Antonio Gates.

20. So Be

So Be A True Fan

21. Roman529

Roman529 Moon Runner / The 3 AM Crew

Just because you have size and played basketball, doesn't mean you can play Tight End if the NFL. It's just like people thinking you can suit up a 400 pound Japanese sumo wrestler to play Left Tackle/Center/OG. :chuckle:

22. Elle Clouds

Elle Clouds A True Fan

I rather spend a 7th on him to make sure we don't miss out if he becomes anything special. Think about who was our 7th rounders last year...I'll wait.....

23. truedolfan57

truedolfan57 A True Fan

that's easy, Safety Don Jones. He helped miami beat the falcons in week 3.

24. So Be

So Be A True Fan

I would wager that the 400 pound sumo wrestler would have done better that what we had at LT last year. Hell, it would take longer to run around him than what we gave RT. lol

25. SWS84

SWS84 A True Fan

Daytona, a thumbs up for the news and for the girl in your sig. :)

26. So Be

So Be A True Fan

Agreed. Waiting for Daytona to break the news that Le Bron wants to play a second sport, and will be looking to play TE for the Phins in his off season. That would be something to see. JK/LOL

27. FearTheBeard

FearTheBeard FearTheBurke

I'm so sick of hearing this....well Bellichick thought Taylor Price was a better player...Carolina liked Armanti Edwards better, the TItans liked recently signed Damian Williams better...the Texans liked recently drafted Earl Mitchell better...the Bengals liked Jordan Shipley better. This is the nature of the beast, people act like we're the only guy who passed over him. He was a projected 3rd-4th round pick.

Hindsight is always so clear on this board...sure he had a first round grade with everyone here. People should be happy that we're even talking to a guy who almost has the same name as FH hall of famer Ryan Swope.

28. dlockz

dlockz Hall Of Famer

problem with so called homework on a player, kind of hard to do that on a guy who has never played football in highschool or college.
    All u can is have him put on shorts and catch passes or block a blocking dummy.

29. uk_dolfan

Hey if he is a player despite never playing a snap of organised football in his life - does that make me a player as well?

This guy is les brown without the high school career. Les Brown... not Graham

30. dlockz

dlockz Hall Of Famer

lets just draft the whole damn UConn team lol

31. truedolfan57

truedolfan57 A True Fan

well, miami isn't really full of talented TE's. If he can do that better than Sims and Egnew, then what's it hurt, to pick him up in the 7th or UDFA, and go into OTA's, when the pads can be put on. That's only if he shows good talent in shorts.

32. Fin Fan in Cali

But if you don't take a look at him and put him through some drills how will you ever know?

33. Fin Fan in Cali

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antonio_Gates

Antonio Gates, Jr was born in 1980 to Antonio and Mattie Gates in Detroit, Michigan. He attended Central High School where he excelled at both basketball and football. Playing alongside friend and future NFL player Dwight Smith, it was in basketball where Gates had the most success as he led Central High School to Michigan’s Class-A Final Four in his junior year. As a senior, he averaged 27 points and 12 rebounds a game, and led Central all the way to the Michigan state championship.

After his stellar season, Gates was named runner-up for the Mr. Basketball of Michigan award to Dane Fife.

San Diego Chargers

After being told by scouts that he was too much of a “tweener” to make the NBA, Gates (6′4″) arranged a workout in front of NFL scouts. Despite never playing football in college,[7] as many as 19 teams were believed to have contacted Gates about a tryout. Gates chose to work out first for the San Diego Chargers. Recognizing his potential, the Chargers immediately signed him to a contract as an undrafted free agent.

Antonio Ethan Gates, Jr. (born June 18, 1980) is an American football tight end for the San Diego Chargers of the National Football League (NFL). He has been selected onto the Pro Bowl eight times and is a five time NFL All-Pro.[1] Gates was signed as an undrafted free agent in 2003 after playing college basketball for Kent State University. He attended college at Kent State his junior and senior years after brief stints at Michigan State University and Eastern Michigan University.

I am not saying Swoope will be the same as Gates but you have to take a good look at him.

34. fininpsl

fininpsl A True Fan

Swope is an elite athlete. He wasn't the best basketball player in the world, and the success he did have on the hardwood was entirely because he's so physically dynamic. Comparing him to Les Brown is as inappropriate as comparing him to Jimmy Graham. He is worth due diligence.

35. gregorygrant83

gregorygrant83 A True Fan

Just my opinion, but I think it makes more sense to get wr DJ Coles from Virginia Tech. Coles, 6-5 235, will likely be undrafted or a very late draft at best. I would rather try to add 20 pounds on to a receiver and convert him to tight end than take someone who has no football experience and still needs to gain 30 pounds.

36. GoonBoss

GoonBoss Finheaven Templar Super Donator Donator

clearly, there are basics of grammar that are stressed in that program

37. uk_dolfan

Les Brown is a perfect comparison

Given a longshot due to physical ability despite not having the slightest clue how to play any nfl position.

There are plenty of top athletes who never get near the nfl

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 19, 2014
  38. Valandui

Valandui Lumberjack Batman Donator

Sure they can. I saw The Replacements.

39. Fin Fan in Cali

:chuckle:

40. arammell

arammell Well-Known Member

Brilliant post!