Dolphins inquire about UM basketball player Erik Swoope | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins inquire about UM basketball player Erik Swoope

problem with so called homework on a player, kind of hard to do that on a guy who has never played football in highschool or college.
All u can is have him put on shorts and catch passes or block a blocking dummy.

well, miami isn't really full of talented TE's. If he can do that better than Sims and Egnew, then what's it hurt, to pick him up in the 7th or UDFA, and go into OTA's, when the pads can be put on. That's only if he shows good talent in shorts.

problem with so called homework on a player, kind of hard to do that on a guy who has never played football in highschool or college.
All u can is have him put on shorts and catch passes or block a blocking dummy.
But if you don't take a look at him and put him through some drills how will you ever know?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antonio_Gates

Antonio Gates, Jr was born in 1980 to Antonio and Mattie Gates in Detroit, Michigan. He attended Central High School where he excelled at both basketball and football. Playing alongside friend and future NFL player Dwight Smith, it was in basketball where Gates had the most success as he led Central High School to Michigan’s Class-A Final Four in his junior year. As a senior, he averaged 27 points and 12 rebounds a game, and led Central all the way to the Michigan state championship.

After his stellar season, Gates was named runner-up for the Mr. Basketball of Michigan award to Dane Fife.

San Diego Chargers

After being told by scouts that he was too much of a “tweener” to make the NBA, Gates (6′4″) arranged a workout in front of NFL scouts. Despite never playing football in college,[7] as many as 19 teams were believed to have contacted Gates about a tryout. Gates chose to work out first for the San Diego Chargers. Recognizing his potential, the Chargers immediately signed him to a contract as an undrafted free agent.

Antonio Ethan Gates, Jr. (born June 18, 1980) is an American football tight end for the San Diego Chargers of the National Football League (NFL). He has been selected onto the Pro Bowl eight times and is a five time NFL All-Pro.[1] Gates was signed as an undrafted free agent in 2003 after playing college basketball for Kent State University. He attended college at Kent State his junior and senior years after brief stints at Michigan State University and Eastern Michigan University.

I am not saying Swoope will be the same as Gates but you have to take a good look at him.

Swope is an elite athlete. He wasn't the best basketball player in the world, and the success he did have on the hardwood was entirely because he's so physically dynamic. Comparing him to Les Brown is as inappropriate as comparing him to Jimmy Graham. He is worth due diligence.

Just my opinion, but I think it makes more sense to get wr DJ Coles from Virginia Tech. Coles, 6-5 235, will likely be undrafted or a very late draft at best. I would rather try to add 20 pounds on to a receiver and convert him to tight end than take someone who has no football experience and still needs to gain 30 pounds.

Just my opinion, but I think it makes more sense to get wr DJ Coles from Virginia Tech. Coles, 6-5 235, will likely be undrafted or a very late draft at best. I would rather try to add 20 pounds on to a receiver and convert him to tight end than take someone who has no football experience and still needs to gain 30 pounds.

Les Brown is a perfect comparison

Given a longshot due to physical ability despite not having the slightest clue how to play any nfl position.

There are plenty of top athletes who never get near the nfl

Last edited by a moderator:
Just because you have size and played basketball, doesn't mean you can play Tight End if the NFL. It's just like people thinking you can suit up a 400 pound Japanese sumo wrestler to play Left Tackle/Center/OG. :chuckle:

Sure they can. I saw The Replacements.

I'm so sick of hearing this....well Bellichick thought Taylor Price was a better player...Carolina liked Armanti Edwards better, the TItans liked recently signed Damian Williams better...the Texans liked recently drafted Earl Mitchell better...the Bengals liked Jordan Shipley better. This is the nature of the beast, people act like we're the only guy who passed over him. He was a projected 3rd-4th round pick.

Hindsight is always so clear on this board...sure he had a first round grade with everyone here. People should be happy that we're even talking to a guy who almost has the same name as FH hall of famer Ryan Swope.

Brilliant post!

Back
Top Bottom