Dolphins interested in Charles Woodson and Wes Welker

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by fanfin, Mar 10, 2013.

1. fanfin

fanfin A True Fan

.http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/03/10/dolphins-undergo-paradigm-shift-in-free-agency/

Signing Wallace and Welker would not only make Tannehill look like a stud but would disarm Brady. I could live with Wallace Hartline Welker. BYE DAVONE!

2. j-off-her-doll

j-off-her-doll FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

3. WVDolphan

WVDolphan Banned Hammered

Bailey/Hartline/Welker/Swope/Matthews

Fasano/Cook

Cover that.

4. UCF Nation

UCF Nation Well-Known Member

If Welker comes for a discount, I am down.

5. SkapePhin

SkapePhin Rump Shaker Finheaven VIP Donator

I honestly think the Dolphins are just showing interest in Welker to drive up the price for the Patriots, the same way the Patriots are showing interest in Wallace to drive up the price for Miami.

6. finfan54

finfan54 A True Fan Donator

he wont because that is what NE would like and he would rather stay in NE for that.

7. slimfintintin

slimfintintin Guru

We are not letting bess go! End of story!

8. WVDolphan

Thats what I was thinking.

9. fanfin

fanfin A True Fan

I see New England signing Randy Moss and trading for Percy Harvin. Welker would be fantastic addition. Matt Moore was insinuating that we are going to sign more than 1 receiver in FA.. I think we would be contenders with Wallace and Welker

10. Joba-nator

Joba-nator Rookie

Jack up the price on all of NE's top free agents.

Make that cheap old pervert Kraft pay out of his nose

11. slimfintintin

slimfintintin Guru

Signing Wallace/Hartline will be enough in FA to address the WR position. Use the draft to build some depth. Time to turn our attention to the TE FA market...why am I not hearing anything about Ireland calling Cook's agent yet? Maybe we are that confident that Eiffert can be had in the 1st?

Is it Tuesday yet?

12. fanfin

fanfin A True Fan

or just sign a recveiver who has caught 100 passes since he has left Miami.Cut Bess. HE SUCKS. Wallace deep, Hartline intermeditate, and Welker underneath. Throw in a TE like Brandon Myers or Tyler Eifert and that is very scary passing game.

---------- Post added at 12:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:00 PM ----------

yes Eifert is not going before #12 unless a team loves him and trades up before us

13. Billk78

Billk78 Scout Team

Again, why does everyone insist we are getting rid of Bess. His salary is only 2.6 million for this year. And just because he was hurt last year doesnt mean he isnt good. Do you know how many clutch catches he has had for this team? So let's ditch his 2.6 mil and sign welker for 9 mil....makes a ton of sense. Cmon. People go crazy during free agency.

14. slimfintintin

slimfintintin Guru

Bess does not suck. He does not have blazing speed, but he has hands of steel.

Agree to disagree.

15. fanfin

fanfin A True Fan

Aren't you missing Mike Wallace? And Stedman Bailey is nowhere near ready to start over Hartline and Welker lol I don't think he would start over Swope

16. finfan54

Wes Welker to Denver has been mentioned and I think he would be a nice fit for Peyton. I dont think Welker would come back here, not based on his comments before.

17. ClaritinClear

ClaritinClear Member

I agree we need to address the TE spot next over these guys

18. JFoxx

JFoxx Seasoned Veteran

Turnabout is fair game Bill!!! Everyone knows Welker/NE is letting him see what he's worth before they do a deal. They won't let him walk, they just want to see what money they have to pay. I'm all for making them pay a little more after their push to do the same to us.

19. dagger151

dagger151 J-E-T-S $uck - $uck - $uck

Welker isnt coming back to the Fins, ive heard the Denver rumors a ton out here in Denver and it would be a great fit for him to go from catch with Brady to catch with Manning.

20. ohall

ohall A Miami Dolphins fan, not a players fan.

^ this

21. finfan54

yeah, I dont know if about any talk, but I have seen FA articles stating that he would be good for Peyton in Denver and I would have to agree.

22. BahamaFinFan78

BahamaFinFan78 A True Fan

Bess is one of the most reliable receivers we've had since he came here and he's cheap, don't get rid of him.

23. jared81

jared81 Banned Hammered

If bess gets cut, they will be 31 other teams calling for him. Some of you guys say some crazy ****.

24. Perfect23

Perfect23 A True Fan

no we dont need Miami wrs dropping any passes hehe Welker the superbowl

25. FINatic054

FINatic054 Scout Team

I'd b honest...I'd rather have Bess. Devone is a badass and would have just as good of numbers as Wes if he was on the pats with Brady as his QB

26. flippersrevenge

flippersrevenge Active Member

Bess has been compared to Welker, is younger, and cheaper. If we lose Bess he will show up in New England to replace Welker and it will be status quo the Pats wont miss a beat, while we look foe someone in the slot that gets open, and catches the ball don't sell Bess short.

27. dcnr226

dcnr226 A True Fan Donator

Kidnap Aaron Hernandez and Rob Gronkowski and drop them in the middle of the Pacific ocean. THEN Tom Brady might be disarmed. Tom Brady makes Wes Welker, not the other way around. He's replaceable, those 2 mammoth TE's are not.

28. fishfanmiami

fishfanmiami Have you seen junior's grades ? Moderator Finheaven VIP

Brady won superbowls without Wes Welker or the TE's for that matter. Just saying.

The Boston press thinks he'll resign with the Pats.

'Nothing imminent' with Welker: The latest news on Wes Welker is that there's "nothing imminent" between him and the Patriots, a source told Comcast Sportsnet. However, the the team and the player are "closer than they've ever been on getting something done." ESPN reported Wednesday Welker would first test free agency before deciding where to end up while the Boston Globe believed Welker will eventually remain a Patriot.
    (Updated 3/7/13)

Wes is a very good ball player but I would not over pay for him. Without Brady i'll bet his numbers get cut in half.

29. dlockz

dlockz Hall Of Famer

Yea and Lamar MLLER would have just as good a numbers running the ball if he were on Vikings lol. Such BS Bess is a good player but he is not close to as dangerous and reliable as Welker.
    Welker had 112 receptions with Matt Cassell as his qb. If you could just plug any player in and do that how come no other players seem to do it.

---------- Post added at 01:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:12 PM ----------

It all depends on the offense but a smart offense would use him right. I still think he is a 80 -100 catch guy anywhere he plays.
    He caught 112 passes with Cassell at helm so its not all Brady

30. tcdrover

tcdrover Pro Bowler

I think some one at the Dolphins office is just giving that drama queen reporter misinformation... :d-day:

YOu know every warm body associated with the Dolphins must be sick and tired of that insect...

31. MadDog 88

MadDog 88 Smoke 'em Jay Finheaven VIP

Bess does not score. He is not a playmaker. He is Just Another Guy that can easily be upgraded. If you sign Welker and Swope, you wont miss Bess.

32. WVDolphan

Dosent really matter who starts. All of them would play. Its all about packages and situations.

With those 5 guys you could do a lot of things.

This is why I get tired of hearing whos a #1 and a #2 etc etc etc. If you have a stud WR who is clearly your best WR, he would be labeled your #1. Yet if he goes down with an injury, guys have to step up. People would be saying Hartline isnt a #1, but he was last year.

The point is you need 4 or 5 quality NFL WRs. You need a couple of them to have some versatility so that they can be counted on to play multiple roles. You dont have to have a pure stud, label him as a #1, and right on down the line. Your best WR could be your slot guy. Does that make him a #1 or is he labeled a #3?

Hypothetically, with those 5 guys I would use Welker primarially in the slot when there are 3 WRs on the field. However I would also frequently use him outside in 2 WR packages. Around the redzone he would be in there almost every snap.

Bailey would get a ton of playing time and especially be used around the redzone. He would be primarially outside.

Hartline is an outside WR who if I had those 5 players would only be used outside the 20. He would get plenty of playing time.

Swope could be used in a ton of roles and get plenty of playing time.

Matthews I would work to develope as a beast in the redzone and give him some opportunities in various situations.

Those are 5 quality WRs who you could mix and match depending on the situation. Start whoever you want or label whoever whatever, none of that bs matters. Just because I listed Bailey 1st dosent make him a "starter". Hartline and Welker would likely start the game and be on the outside, but the very next down it could be different.

The chances of us having those 5 are unlikely anyway. We still have to add 3 WRs are there are a ton of options. A lot of things could happen still. Its all hypothetical. I certainly wouldnt mind having those 5 though, because again...... good luck covering that.

You guys play too much Madden with your #1, #2 bs. Thats the whole point I was trying to get at in the Gibson thread. Brandon Gibson is a quality WR. If we add him its a good thing. Why does it matter if he is a #whatever in anyones mind. He can get open, make catches, and make plays...PERIOD. If you put him and Hartline on your roster with 3 other quality WRs, you can attack and exploit defenses by using smart packages and putting guys in places where they have a chance to make a play.

This is also why I dont care if we keep Bess or not. He is a slot receiver and a slot guy only. He has no versatility. He is average or above average in the slot. He is great for getting open underneath and moving chains on 3rd down. Problem is to get in the endzone you would have to hit him 7 or 8 times on a drive, then hope you can pound it in. He isnt a redzone threat because there isnt as much ground for the D to cover and he cant get open as easily. Great slot guys in the NFL today are evolving. Many of them can beat you deep and also play outside in certain situations. Amendola, Cruz, and Welker come to mind.

Hartline dosent offer much versatility because he is an outside WR who can beat you a lot of ways, but isnt much of a redzone threat. This is why we need to add some guys who can do multiple things.

33. finsfanman

finsfanman I was there in 72 how about you

i can finally break out my welker dolphins jersey that i bought in his last year with Miami and never got to wear it..but it aint gonna happen

34. Dolph N.Fan

Dolph N.Fan A True Fan

Welker isn't going anywhere. He' staying in New England. Now Woodson would be nice as a 1-2 year stop gap.

35. Travis34

Travis34 chea Finheaven VIP Donator

I see no chance of Welker coming back here

36. SCLSU Mud Dogs

SCLSU Mud Dogs foos-ball is the devil! Donator

This x1000

I was having this debate with my roommate earlier. If you can upgrade a position, you do it. Bess is good, but I think you can get more production from the slot. That's why I think this team will end up drafting Swope.

If Miami can also sign Wallace and Gibson, it gives them the flexibility early in the draft to focus on secondary/DE/OL, and with the addition of Swope, that would be a fantastic improvement.

37. LouPhinFan

LouPhinFan It's ok to say "I don't know". Finheaven VIP Donator

I'll say this:

With what we did last week and if these rumors in this thread are true then color me confused about what our off-season plan is. I just don't understand it.

We resign Hartline but then show interest in Gibson who is a slightly better version of him. Now we're showing interest in Welker who is a way better version of Bess. We tagged a DT that struggles stopping the run and isn't anything special rushing the passer, which still keeps Odrick playing out of position.

We've been rumored to be talking to Mendenhall and Jackson; two players that are similar to Daniel Thomas. We're signing Wallace (per various rumors) for anywhere from $60 mil to a completely stupid $75 mil.

It sure sounds like to me we're going CB or OL with that #12 pick because as it looks right now Ireland just doesn't trust himself to pick skill position talent in the draft. Either that or he's got no clue how to rank them on his draft board.

I'll keep my final judgment until after the draft but if these rumors are true then yikes.

38. dadecounty

dadecounty Well-Known Member

Ertz looks a lot more athletic to me than Eifert

39. Sean

Sean Just Win, Baby

--rotoworld

40. MadDog 88

MadDog 88 Smoke 'em Jay Finheaven VIP

About damn time a team in the division started giving Belichek something to think about.