Dolphins interested in Charles Woodson and Wes Welker | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins interested in Charles Woodson and Wes Welker

Bess does not score. He is not a playmaker. He is Just Another Guy that can easily be upgraded. If you sign Welker and Swope, you wont miss Bess.

Aren't you missing Mike Wallace? And Stedman Bailey is nowhere near ready to start over Hartline and Welker lol I don't think he would start over Swope

Dosent really matter who starts. All of them would play. Its all about packages and situations.

With those 5 guys you could do a lot of things.

This is why I get tired of hearing whos a #1 and a #2 etc etc etc. If you have a stud WR who is clearly your best WR, he would be labeled your #1. Yet if he goes down with an injury, guys have to step up. People would be saying Hartline isnt a #1, but he was last year.

The point is you need 4 or 5 quality NFL WRs. You need a couple of them to have some versatility so that they can be counted on to play multiple roles. You dont have to have a pure stud, label him as a #1, and right on down the line. Your best WR could be your slot guy. Does that make him a #1 or is he labeled a #3?

Hypothetically, with those 5 guys I would use Welker primarially in the slot when there are 3 WRs on the field. However I would also frequently use him outside in 2 WR packages. Around the redzone he would be in there almost every snap.

Bailey would get a ton of playing time and especially be used around the redzone. He would be primarially outside.

Hartline is an outside WR who if I had those 5 players would only be used outside the 20. He would get plenty of playing time.

Swope could be used in a ton of roles and get plenty of playing time.

Matthews I would work to develope as a beast in the redzone and give him some opportunities in various situations.

Those are 5 quality WRs who you could mix and match depending on the situation. Start whoever you want or label whoever whatever, none of that bs matters. Just because I listed Bailey 1st dosent make him a "starter". Hartline and Welker would likely start the game and be on the outside, but the very next down it could be different.

The chances of us having those 5 are unlikely anyway. We still have to add 3 WRs are there are a ton of options. A lot of things could happen still. Its all hypothetical. I certainly wouldnt mind having those 5 though, because again...... good luck covering that.

You guys play too much Madden with your #1, #2 bs. Thats the whole point I was trying to get at in the Gibson thread. Brandon Gibson is a quality WR. If we add him its a good thing. Why does it matter if he is a #whatever in anyones mind. He can get open, make catches, and make plays...PERIOD. If you put him and Hartline on your roster with 3 other quality WRs, you can attack and exploit defenses by using smart packages and putting guys in places where they have a chance to make a play.

This is also why I dont care if we keep Bess or not. He is a slot receiver and a slot guy only. He has no versatility. He is average or above average in the slot. He is great for getting open underneath and moving chains on 3rd down. Problem is to get in the endzone you would have to hit him 7 or 8 times on a drive, then hope you can pound it in. He isnt a redzone threat because there isnt as much ground for the D to cover and he cant get open as easily. Great slot guys in the NFL today are evolving. Many of them can beat you deep and also play outside in certain situations. Amendola, Cruz, and Welker come to mind.

Hartline dosent offer much versatility because he is an outside WR who can beat you a lot of ways, but isnt much of a redzone threat. This is why we need to add some guys who can do multiple things.

i can finally break out my welker dolphins jersey that i bought in his last year with Miami and never got to wear it..but it aint gonna happen

Welker isn't going anywhere. He' staying in New England. Now Woodson would be nice as a 1-2 year stop gap.

Bess does not score. He is not a playmaker. He is Just Another Guy that can easily be upgraded. If you sign Welker and Swope, you wont miss Bess.

This x1000

I was having this debate with my roommate earlier. If you can upgrade a position, you do it. Bess is good, but I think you can get more production from the slot. That's why I think this team will end up drafting Swope.

If Miami can also sign Wallace and Gibson, it gives them the flexibility early in the draft to focus on secondary/DE/OL, and with the addition of Swope, that would be a fantastic improvement.

I'll say this:

With what we did last week and if these rumors in this thread are true then color me confused about what our off-season plan is. I just don't understand it.

We resign Hartline but then show interest in Gibson who is a slightly better version of him. Now we're showing interest in Welker who is a way better version of Bess. We tagged a DT that struggles stopping the run and isn't anything special rushing the passer, which still keeps Odrick playing out of position.

We've been rumored to be talking to Mendenhall and Jackson; two players that are similar to Daniel Thomas. We're signing Wallace (per various rumors) for anywhere from $60 mil to a completely stupid $75 mil.

It sure sounds like to me we're going CB or OL with that #12 pick because as it looks right now Ireland just doesn't trust himself to pick skill position talent in the draft. Either that or he's got no clue how to rank them on his draft board.

I'll keep my final judgment until after the draft but if these rumors are true then yikes.

or just sign a recveiver who has caught 100 passes since he has left Miami.Cut Bess. HE SUCKS. Wallace deep, Hartline intermeditate, and Welker underneath. Throw in a TE like Brandon Myers or Tyler Eifert and that is very scary passing game.

---------- Post added at 12:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:00 PM ----------

yes Eifert is not going before #12 unless a team loves him and trades up before us

Ertz looks a lot more athletic to me than Eifert

A Dolphins source tells the Miami Herald free agent Wes Welker would "love nothing more than to stick it to the Patriots" if they fail to re-sign him.
The implication is that Welker would be open to signing with the Dolphins, who are believed to have at least some level of interest. Welker has had some of his best games against the Dolphins, but it's extremely doubtful they'd have the money to make a run if they land top target Mike Wallace. We still ultimately expect Welker to end up back in New England, but there could be some drama along the way.

--rotoworld

Not sure I believe either of those. The Dolphins are looking for a young safety/nickel back to pair with Reshad Jones should Clemons prove too expensive, so I don't think we're really players for Woodson.

Welker is likely a move designed to press the Patriots. Since the Pats are pursuing Wallace, the Dolphins are proably looking to drive the price up for Welker and force New England to choose. If the Patriots bow out of the Wallace sweepstakes, good. If they go all in and lose Welker ... also good. ;D But in the end, I don't think the Dolphins actually want to sign Welker. If we go for a slot receiver it will be Jennings in FA or Swope in the draft. Otherwise, we'll stand pat with Bess for the time being.

At this point Swope is a much better addition to Welker, faster, much cheaper, and has lots of potential. Welker will be on the decline very soon.

Woodson, no, absolutely not. No stop gaps, no old men. Get young hungry players and allow them to grow and mature together. if we sign the likes of Woodson or reed I will be furious.

Back
Top Bottom