Dolphins looking to trade up in the Draft? | Page 11 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins looking to trade up in the Draft?

This could happen as the word out here in San Diego is that the Chargers are probably going to go OT so this may have some truth to it. The Chargers pick right in front of us at 11.

I just can't picture us trading up for a OL. I mean it could happen but after our history drafting first round OL and this year's change of direction, I just don't see it. I can be easily wrong though.

---------- Post added at 08:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:25 PM ----------

i also just read the ticker on NFLN that said winston is in SD. So things can still change.

SD is one of the 3 teams competing with us to get him. He may sign there.

are people aware we got mike wallace? its like everything that just happened, didnt really happen.

do we really need tavon austin?

its an honest question.

I certainly don't disagree with you. Any of those 3 tackles would be an outstanding and more importantly, a safe pick. I just wonder if the the playmaking skills of Austin will be too enticing to pass on? Also, I was watching path to the draft just a couple of days ago and there was some talk Eifert may be sliding a bit, maybe back half of the first.

well path to the draft looks at eifert by teams with te need...so yeah if he gets by tampa at #13 and say gets by the giants at like #20 he could slide...but i don't think it's because he doesn't validate the pick as a prospect but more cause teams don't have the need that high...

and yeah austin with wallace would be awesome indeed...i don't have a problem with it given he's the most legit playmaker in the draft...ideally he wouldn't be undersized but if he wasn't we'd be talking about having to trade up to get him...

the 3 ot's are probablly the cleanest prospects in the class really...plug and play tackles..safe but solid football prospects...kind of guys in any class carry high round 1 grades i'd say...so yeah they should go high...the more i looked at the other positions during the eval process and senior bowl and combine etc the more i kept raising these ot's up the board...just like nfl teams are...don't be shocked if all 3 are gone by pick #5...detroit getting the last one...

One good thing about taking Tavon Austin is it would give Ryan Tannehill a security blanket.

At Texas A&M the guy he was most comfortable with was really Ryan Swope, whom he made into a really productive player. Jeff Fuller he was comfortable with and he made into a nice 66 yards (and 0.55 TDs) per game player, but in 2010 prior to Tannehill taking over he was more like a 94 yards (and 1.17 TDs) per game player. Meanwhile Ryan Swope went from a 57 yards (and 0.17 TDs) per game player in 2010 prior to Tannehill taking over, to an 84 yards (and 0.70 TDs) per game player. Talk about a reversal of fortune.

I think in Miami the guy that kind of compares with Jeff Fuller believe it or not is Brian Hartline. They may have different physical characteristics but they had similar limitations (neither had true speed) and they run the same routes and make the same catches really well. So it makes sense that Tannehill got on with Hartline to some degree. But his man at Texas A&M was Swope and I don't think he has one here in Davone Bess. I think Swope had more pure speed and ability to challenge the deep middle. Every time Miami tried that with Bess it failed.

The Dolphins have given Ryan Tannehill a "go to" receiver in Mike Wallace that he's pretty unfamiliar with. He doesn't run the routes that Jeff Fuller or Brian Hartline did. He doesn't run the routes or play the roles that Ryan Swope or Davone Bess did. He's more like Nwachukwu, who was never a huge part of the offense at Texas A&M under Tannehill. I'm worried that you dump all these expectations associated with big money on Mike Wallace, and you end up forcing Tannehill out of his comfort zone. However, if you were to draft a Tavon Austin then you equalize things to a considerable degree. It's no longer just about the 12 million dollar man on the offense. It's also about the 12th overall pick and getting him involved. And it's also about the 6 million dollar man on the other side. It's more egalitarian, balanced, exactly the way both Joe Philbin and Ryan Tannehill probably want it.

But does it have a chance of happening?

I say...not a chance. Just my opinion.

Tyler Eifert on the other hand...I could see that happening.

Great post.

I get the Austin hype ... but Swope really is Tannehills "guy" on the field, drafting a slot reciever not named Ryan Swope just seems silly to me.

Getting Swope also allows us to pick up other key pieces with the top picks. One of Johnson, Rhodes/Trufant, Eifert AND Ryan Swope sounds like a wonderful start to the draft to me.

I get trading up for a tackle but for me it would really depend on the price. Johnson is awesome and would be a great Dolphin but we can probably get a good athletic tackle in round two as well as a CB in round one if we dont trade up.

Its a tough decision. But one thing is for sure, if I was the Dolphins GM I would not be concluding the draft without presenting Ryan Swope with a Dolphins jersey.... if you spend an offseason giving your QB new toys why on earth would you not give him back his favourite toy?

I love Johnson but thinking about it... a CB/TE at 12, a tackle at 2a and Swope at 2b just sounds better to me right now.

well path to the draft looks at eifert by teams with te need...so yeah if he gets by tampa at #13 and say gets by the giants at like #20 he could slide...but i don't think it's because he doesn't validate the pick as a prospect but more cause teams don't have the need that high...

and yeah austin with wallace would be awesome indeed...i don't have a problem with it given he's the most legit playmaker in the draft...ideally he wouldn't be undersized but if he wasn't we'd be talking about having to trade up to get him...

the 3 ot's are probablly the cleanest prospects in the class really...plug and play tackles..safe but solid football prospects...kind of guys in any class carry high round 1 grades i'd say...so yeah they should go high...the more i looked at the other positions during the eval process and senior bowl and combine etc the more i kept raising these ot's up the board...just like nfl teams are...don't be shocked if all 3 are gone by pick #5...detroit getting the last one...

Seeing all three tackles gone early is what I see happening.

and if san diego is sniffing winston they see the writing on the wall...lane johnsons not getting to pick #11...

one other thing...don't rule out tavon austin going in the top 10...and never even getting to us either...the buzz with that guy is big...

---------- Post added at 08:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:34 PM ----------

think about the top of this draft...all 5 teams with the first 5 picks could all take ot's with that top pick...all of em...yeah the more i look the more i think they all go top 5...so trading with cleveland might not even be an option

Was thinking the same thing. Thing reminds me cj spiller all over again.

Another good point. Lets say all 3 tackles, Ausin, and Cooper are gone by the 10th pick, who you see taking? Perhaps in that scenario we attempt to trade down. But if we can't, maybe we take Eifert?

Another good point. Lets say all 3 tackles, Ausin, and Cooper are gone by the 10th pick, who you see taking? Perhaps in that scenario we attempt to trade down. But if we can't, maybe we take Eifert?

Milliner is likely to be there in a senario like that. If not Eifert will be BPA

Personally? Carradine but that's prob not the popular opinion.

are people aware we got mike wallace? its like everything that just happened, didnt really happen.

do we really need tavon austin?

its an honest question.

What's wrong with having more than one explosive player on offense? Austin could make the Dolphins offense dangerous and a would give opposing Defensive Coordinators headaches trying to prepare for it.

Milliner is likely to be there in a senario like that. If not Eifert will be BPA

Can't see Milliner getting out of the top 10 either. Well, we just solved the top ten. At least 3 tackles, Austin, Milliner, Cooper, throw in a few DE's ... there it is. Now lets focus on the next group :lol:

Back
Top Bottom