Dolphins looking to trade up in the Draft? | Page 9 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins looking to trade up in the Draft?

Maybe so, but at least the Falcons aren't forced to watch grass grown under Davone Bess' feet.

:lol: Can't argue that.

Matthews should be able to take his spot a few times this year and add a tad bit more speed, hopefully.

---------- Post added at 07:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:05 PM ----------

dang..what's up with that???

That's why I got defensive :lol: I was like HUH??

One good thing about taking Tavon Austin is it would give Ryan Tannehill a security blanket.

At Texas A&M the guy he was most comfortable with was really Ryan Swope, whom he made into a really productive player. Jeff Fuller he was comfortable with and he made into a nice 66 yards (and 0.55 TDs) per game player, but in 2010 prior to Tannehill taking over he was more like a 94 yards (and 1.17 TDs) per game player. Meanwhile Ryan Swope went from a 57 yards (and 0.17 TDs) per game player in 2010 prior to Tannehill taking over, to an 84 yards (and 0.70 TDs) per game player. Talk about a reversal of fortune.

I think in Miami the guy that kind of compares with Jeff Fuller believe it or not is Brian Hartline. They may have different physical characteristics but they had similar limitations (neither had true speed) and they run the same routes and make the same catches really well. So it makes sense that Tannehill got on with Hartline to some degree. But his man at Texas A&M was Swope and I don't think he has one here in Davone Bess. I think Swope had more pure speed and ability to challenge the deep middle. Every time Miami tried that with Bess it failed.

The Dolphins have given Ryan Tannehill a "go to" receiver in Mike Wallace that he's pretty unfamiliar with. He doesn't run the routes that Jeff Fuller or Brian Hartline did. He doesn't run the routes or play the roles that Ryan Swope or Davone Bess did. He's more like Nwachukwu, who was never a huge part of the offense at Texas A&M under Tannehill. I'm worried that you dump all these expectations associated with big money on Mike Wallace, and you end up forcing Tannehill out of his comfort zone. However, if you were to draft a Tavon Austin then you equalize things to a considerable degree. It's no longer just about the 12 million dollar man on the offense. It's also about the 12th overall pick and getting him involved. And it's also about the 6 million dollar man on the other side. It's more egalitarian, balanced, exactly the way both Joe Philbin and Ryan Tannehill probably want it.

But does it have a chance of happening?

I say...not a chance. Just my opinion.

Tyler Eifert on the other hand...I could see that happening.

i have eifert and austin on my targets list for pick #12...austin would be sweet on the field with wallace...talk about adding some explosive give nightmares to dc's guys...but i think more likely they jump on swope either late 2nd or early 3rd if they think the concussions will keep him on the board that long...my moneys on swope being a dolphin...although i'd be pretty dang excited about a playmaker like austin

My point was that teams that are built for the long run DO NOT take receivers with the 1st pick in the draft.

Giants built their team through the D-line then took Nicks, but that's the only example of that happening. Great teams don't usually do that. It hurts you in the long run. 1st round skill players usually command heavy contracts and take up cap space, when instead you can just get a few 4th-undrafted offensive guys for 3-5 years and build your championship team around pass rushers and your great 1st round QB.

yeah but with the draft picks invested and years to accumulate the meat and potatoes part of this roster should be complete by now...and it's not...seems like it never is

i mean good lord we still got ricky incognito as a left guard in a zone scheme...

I'm a big Falcons fan, although I've always like the Dolphins. Hell that's been mentioned all throughout my post history, hoops. I don't have a unwaivering loyalty to professional sports. The only loyalty I have that affects me is what Alabama does on Saturdays.

I'm a big Falcons fan, although I've always like the Dolphins. Hell that's been mentioned all throughout my post history, hoops. I don't have a unwaivering loyalty to professional sports. The only loyalty I have that affects me is what Alabama does on Saturdays.

i know but i figured since you were here on dolphins boards with us so much that if you had to choose a team to root for it would be miami...i guess i just figured you were waiting til we were i guess actually competitive ha ha

yeah but with the draft picks invested and years to accumulate the meat and potatoes part of this roster should be complete by now...and it's not...seems like it never is

i mean good lord we still got ricky incognito as a left guard in a zone scheme...

It makes more sense to stay put at #12 and take Cooper than it does to trade up for one of those tackles. But even that doesn't make sense. Trading up for a tackle just makes a lot less sense.

Well, I mean we started over recently. New system, new players. So, right now we're on year 2, imo. Pretty good start last year. Got our QB.

This year we fixed out main problem on D last few years (LB) and now on to getting a corner or 2 and some pass rushers in the draft. The whole rightside of the O-line is not that good, but it could be fixed with some drafted guys. But yeah Incog is not your typical ZBS guard, I agree. He's athletic enough to use for now, though.

It makes more sense to stay put at #12 and take Cooper than it does to trade up for one of those tackles. But even that doesn't make sense. Trading up for a tackle just makes a lot less sense.

so at what point does it make sense??? like in the 20's when you are already a contender team???

Cooper is a guy I liked for a long time. He'll be there at 12.

I agree giving up a free 2nd rounder for a top 5 tackle is not what I want to see, at all..

Well, I mean we started over recently. New system, new players. So, right now we're on year 2, imo. Pretty good start last year. Got our QB.

This year we fixed out main problem on D last few years (LB) and now on to getting a corner or 2 and some pass rushers in the draft. The whole rightside of the O-line is not that good, but it could be fixed with some drafted guys. But yeah Incog is not your typical ZBS guard, I agree. He's athletic enough to use for now, though.

at lb you got younger and you got faster i don't know that you got more instinctual though or stout,,,so i think you gained a little and gave up a little...seems like a lateral move to me

I can see Slimm is on a rant so I hate to even get into it but it should be noted that the Falcons took the 6th best offensive tackle off the board in 2008 at #21 overall while guys like Jordy Nelson, Rashard Mendenhall, Chris Johnson, Dustin Keller and Brandon Flowers were on the board. They also gave Tyson Clabo (their #2 offensive tackle) a 5 year, $25 million contract. They just re-signed Sam Baker to a 6 year, $42 million contract. I think they do value the position. Certainly not above QB, they didn't make that mistake...but they do value it.

I think it only follows logically that if pass rushers are valuable in this league then the players that negate pass rushers are also valuable. You don't take Bruce Irvin that high in the draft so you can send a bunch of package blitzes at a team. You take him to close out drives and close out games. But if he's valuable for his ability to do that, then I think the offensive tackle across from him is valuable for his ability to directly and consistently prevent him from doing that.

That's not to say that justifies trading into the top 6 to grab an offensive tackle. But I don't think all offensive line positions are created equally and so I don't really like the idea of just lumping it all together and making it your last priority. I think Lane Johnson would make a fine pick at 12 overall.

at lb you got younger and you got faster i don't know that you got more instinctual though or stout,,,so i think you gained a little and gave up a little...seems like a lateral move to me

That was problemo numero uno, my friend.

All of the rest will work itself out. We got faster guys that are able to better defend guys being thrown to up the middle.

I think Lane Johnson is the best prospect in the entire draft. I still don't want to take an offensive tackle in the first round, let alone trade up for one.

I might be oversimplifying it but, all things being equal, would you rather have the best lt in the nfl or the best wr. Would you rather have joe Thomas or Calvin Johnson. Would you rather have the best guard in football(I don't even know who that is) or Darelle revis or aldon smith or jj watts. If you value the cb, wr or pass rusher more than the oline man, than you take the elite talent at that position at the draft when the opportunity presents itself.

so what you do with jon cooper is even though he's a top 12 player in the draft because you don't value the position enough to validate the pick you let him drop right in some already contenders lap and he helps them whoop your *** for the next 10 years...

i have a hard time understanding that...

Back
Top Bottom