Dolphins May Try To Trade For Correl Buckhalter... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins May Try To Trade For Correl Buckhalter...

DIRTYCASHHOLDIN

Practice Squad
Reaction score
This is a player that the DOlphins were once interesteted in before...but that was when the Eagles had STALEY, WESTBROOK, and BUCKHALTER...and this is just about the time when the DOlphins acquired WILLIAMS from the SAINTS...if someone else out there can also remember this. It just came to my mind...because I just got some E-mails from some DOlphin fans from Philadelphia...who noted that the Eagles would listen for offers for BUCKHALTER...but that he would not come cheaply. You can conclude that RICK SPIELMAN is pretty high on CORREL...and that he just may explore it. Plus....there is the AJ FEELY connection...as AJ may have already given an endorsement to Wann-Spiel. There is no question that Speilman took calls from out of work Running backs around the globe today...there agents of course.....but the most likely scenario right now is for the DOlphins to start bringing in some of these guys....I know they talked seriously the most of 2 guys today....they were Trung Candidate, and Stacey Mack. Like Drew said today on tv...they want to maybe go to a Thunder and lightning type of scenario. Candidates speed and Macks power makes sense there. But knowing this coaching staff....they will do everything they can to bring some of these guys in...but in reality...they will want to hand the ball off to TRAVIS MINOR to at least start the game...and then go to this obvious running back by comittee situation. They know that MINOR cant handle a full load...everyone in the stands knows it too. But he will be the #1 for now...and somebody needs to unseat him...not the other way around. The staff will be very loyal to Minor...is they should. Whoever they bring in now off the street is not going to be that much of an improvement over Minor...that is for sure. But what has to happen now...is you have just got to bring in as many decent backs in as you can...just for depths sake..and just let everyone battle it out...and we will see just who emerges. That is the only thing we can do right now. If the DOlphins make a trade down the line fine.. but for now...lets bring in MACK and CANDIDATE...there is nothing to lose. There is nobody...that is going to take the place of Ricky WIlliams...lets get that through our heads. He was 80 percent of this offense. We are almost hoping as fans...like the Laker fans who saw Shaq leave town...albeit the right way...and then the lakers plug in a servicable VLADE DIVAC at center. Now....we need to find a servicable running back...but the bottom line is this: When you lose a Shaqulle Oneill or a Ricky Williams....its devastating. Both for the Lakers and the Dolphins...this is not going to be the same teams that the fans saw last season. Rick Spielman now has more pressure...and so does Dave...Ricky Williams has now put them in a strait-jacket. They have a pop-gun offfense at hand now...and they need some real ammuntion...and fast. How in the world with 5 days left until training camp...do you replace 80 percent of your offense? You can call the Eagles...you can call the Vikings...but no matter who you get...its a running back by committee for this season. People will be brought in...but expect Travis Minor to be the opening day starter. What we need right now....is for someone to bang in there with some power...between the tackles. We are trying to make Thunder and Lightning...somehow gell into a Running back that will be equal or greater to the sum of 80 percent of the offense.....thats all.

Without a #2 in 2005, IF this were to happen, I believe Miami would trade O-Gun for picks and a player and then use the extra picks to acquire Buckhalter. Eagles will not trade for O-Gun IMHO.

Bears send #2, OL Gibson, and WR Terrell (maybe add a conditional 2006 pick) for O-Gun

Miami then ships the #2 (or conditional 3rd that upgrades to a #2) to Eagles for Buckhalter and late rd pick

HOWEVER, is Buckhalter an every-down RB? I do not believe he is

Clumpy said:
Without a #2 in 2005, IF this were to happen, I believe Miami would trade O-Gun for picks and a player and then use the extra picks to acquire Buckhalter. Eagles will not trade for O-Gun IMHO.

Bears send #2, OL Gibson, and WR Terrell (maybe add a conditional 2006 pick) for O-Gun

Miami then ships the #2 (or conditional 3rd that upgrades to a #2) to Eagles for Buckhalter and late rd pick

HOWEVER, is Buckhalter an every-down RB? I do not believe he is
INteresting points, but i dont see Wale being traded now unless it was for a SOLID RB. And i dont really want Correl Buckhalter unless he was relativley cheap. We need a 25-30 carry a game back which he nor Minor is...i wonder hwo all our RBs plus Correll would work in a commitee....:confused:

Everyone needs to chill on the Trung Candidate talk. This guy has had is desire questioned in the past in St Louis. I lived in DC last year and saw him play, he's not very good IMO. I would take Minor over him right now without question. And all of that isn't even mentioning he might not be able to play this upcoming season because of his foot. Also, Leonard Henry might turn out to be a suprise back, maybe 1,300 yards is a possibility for him.

Buckhalter would be a good pickup and may not be that expensive. He could've been had for a 4th round pick this year as a RFA. I was suprised nobody signed him to an offer sheet. He will be a UFA at the end of the season...so for that reason I could see the eagles trading him. However, the eagles only have him and westbrook and I don't believe westbrook will hold up for an entire season. The eagles may want to hold on to buckhalter...even if they risk losing him at the end of the year.

"They will want to hand the ball off to TRAVIS MINOR to at least start the game...and then go to this obvious running back by comittee situation. They know that MINOR cant handle a full load...everyone in the stands knows it too."

I'm sorry but this statement is rubbish. Who knows that Travis can't handle a full load? He's the same size as Clinton Portis, is quick, powerful, with a low centre of gravity, slides into the hole with pace, can get outside, has excellent hands and picks up the blitz better than anyone on the team. He's handled comfortably upwards of 190 carries a season at FSU when he was smaller physically and I see no problem with his handling the load.

More to the point, who is "everyone in the stand"???? I know a large number of Dolphin fans who think that Minor has been grossly mis-used by the coaching staff and were bemoaning the fact that we were going to lose him next season when he becomes a free agent. He is more than capable of handling the load - 275/280 carries is a highly realistic target, mixed in with a dose of Sammy Morris/Leonard Henry and Freddie Russell. Don't be so naieve as to make sweeping statements about what we all think.

Last edited by a moderator:
Boomer said:
"They will want to hand the ball off to TRAVIS MINOR to at least start the game...and then go to this obvious running back by comittee situation. They know that MINOR cant handle a full load...everyone in the stands knows it too."

I'm sorry but this statement is rubbish. Who knows that Travis can't handle a full load? He's the same size as Clinton Portis, is quick, powerful, with a low centre of gravity, slides into the hole with pace, can get outside, has excellent hands and picks up the blitz better than anyone on the team. He's handled comfortably upwards of 190 carries a season at FSU when he was smaller physically and I see no problem with his handling the load.

More to the point, who is "everyone in the stand"???? I know a large number of Dolphin fans who think that Minor has been grossly mis-used by the coaching staff and were bemoaning the fact that we were going to lose him next season when he becomes a free agent. He is more than capable of handling the load - 275/280 carries is a highly realistic target, mixed in with a dose of Sammy Morris/Leonard Henry and Freddie Russell. Don't be so naieve as to make sweeping statements about what we all think.

I agree. I think saying that Minor can't carry the load is premature. How can anyone say that when he has never been given the chance? Although I hope that a comparison to Portis is alittle tall, Portis has also not played a full 16 game season due to various injuries. Guess we'll see what happens.

I wouldnt give up the farm in order to fill Rickys shoes right now.I would prefer they use our existing players plus some adequate inexpensive backup,get CC and Ogun signed.

Rick S has showed a tendency for jumping the gun and I hope he doesnt give up next years first (It might be a high pick) just to plug up the hole now.

Boomer said:

Thank you....

I think Minor is going to surprise a lot of people. The kid is a gamer and I don't recall any negative plays in the limited opportunities he's gotten. I personally, am excited to see him get this chance simply because of the big play capability he brings that we lacked with the other guy.

Why can't he be a Warrick Dunn, Tiki Barber, or Clinton Portis?? We have Henry and Morris to spell him.....This can work.

I would rather us stay patient and give Minor a chance and see what happens with the free agents that become available via cuts. I hope we can get OQUN and Chambers signed long term now.

DIRTYCASHHOLDIN said:
This is a player that the DOlphins were once interesteted in before...but that was when the Eagles had STALEY, WESTBROOK, and BUCKHALTER...and this is just about the time when the DOlphins acquired WILLIAMS from the SAINTS...if someone else out there can also remember this. It just came to my mind...because I just got some E-mails from some DOlphin fans from Philadelphia...who noted that the Eagles would listen for offers for BUCKHALTER...but that he would not come cheaply. You can conclude that RICK SPIELMAN is pretty high on CORREL...and that he just may explore it. Plus....there is the AJ FEELY connection...as AJ may have already given an endorsement to Wann-Spiel. There is no question that Speilman took calls from out of work Running backs around the globe today...there agents of course.....but the most likely scenario right now is for the DOlphins to start bringing in some of these guys....I know they talked seriously the most of 2 guys today....they were Trung Candidate, and Stacey Mack. Like Drew said today on tv...they want to maybe go to a Thunder and lightning type of scenario. Candidates speed and Macks power makes sense there. But knowing this coaching staff....they will do everything they can to bring some of these guys in...but in reality...they will want to hand the ball off to TRAVIS MINOR to at least start the game...and then go to this obvious running back by comittee situation. They know that MINOR cant handle a full load...everyone in the stands knows it too. But he will be the #1 for now...and somebody needs to unseat him...not the other way around. The staff will be very loyal to Minor...is they should. Whoever they bring in now off the street is not going to be that much of an improvement over Minor...that is for sure. But what has to happen now...is you have just got to bring in as many decent backs in as you can...just for depths sake..and just let everyone battle it out...and we will see just who emerges. That is the only thing we can do right now. If the DOlphins make a trade down the line fine.. but for now...lets bring in MACK and CANDIDATE...there is nothing to lose. There is nobody...that is going to take the place of Ricky WIlliams...lets get that through our heads. He was 80 percent of this offense. We are almost hoping as fans...like the Laker fans who saw Shaq leave town...albeit the right way...and then the lakers plug in a servicable VLADE DIVAC at center. Now....we need to find a servicable running back...but the bottom line is this: When you lose a Shaqulle Oneill or a Ricky Williams....its devastating. Both for the Lakers and the Dolphins...this is not going to be the same teams that the fans saw last season. Rick Spielman now has more pressure...and so does Dave...Ricky Williams has now put them in a strait-jacket. They have a pop-gun offfense at hand now...and they need some real ammuntion...and fast. How in the world with 5 days left until training camp...do you replace 80 percent of your offense? You can call the Eagles...you can call the Vikings...but no matter who you get...its a running back by committee for this season. People will be brought in...but expect Travis Minor to be the opening day starter. What we need right now....is for someone to bang in there with some power...between the tackles. We are trying to make Thunder and Lightning...somehow gell into a Running back that will be equal or greater to the sum of 80 percent of the offense.....thats all.

Can you PLEASE break your posts up into paragraphs? This is very hard on the eyes.
Thank you sir.

i say wait! we have minor, henry,and that rookie. i cant think of his name , i just woke up. i think , if we use all three we will be fine. if we can get a back, fine but dont go nuts right now or get suckered in by some team trying to f*** us.. ya hear that rick!!!!!! i know some backs that are out there , isnt that good.. maybe have a extra just in case , someone gets hurt. one more thing , open up the passing game dammit.

inFINSible said:
Thank you....

I think Minor is going to surprise a lot of people. The kid is a gamer and I don't recall any negative plays in the limited opportunities he's gotten. I personally, am excited to see him get this chance simply because of the big play capability he brings that we lacked with the other guy.

Why can't he be a Warrick Dunn, Tiki Barber, or Clinton Portis?? We have Henry and Morris to spell him.....This can work.

I like Minor too. However IMO I do not think he is ready for the grind that Dave & Co expects from their back. The carries will have to be in the 15-18 per game range for him to give decent value.

Even then, I still don't expect any team to respect our running game anymore.

Back
Top Bottom