Dolphins May Try To Trade For Correl Buckhalter... | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins May Try To Trade For Correl Buckhalter...

I'm not real high on replacing one weed head with another. If you will all remember, Mr. Buckhalter has already been suspended once in his brief career for inhaling the sweet leaf.

craig said:
i say wait! we have minor, henry,and that rookie. i cant think of his name , i just woke up. i think , if we use all three we will be fine. if we can get a back, fine but dont go nuts right now or get suckered in by some team trying to f*** us.. ya hear that rick!!!!!! i know some backs that are out there , isnt that good.. maybe have a extra just in case , someone gets hurt. one more thing , open up the passing game dammit.
The most important thing I've seen so far... open up the passing game! I completely agree... we need to do this, more than ever. This is the perfect time to do it, now that we are replacing our RB. Make sure we find someone who can receive as well (or at least implement one receiving RB into the set).

God I wish Ricky would have made this announcement a week ago, BEFORE Eddie George signed with the Cowboys.

Anyway all we have to do is hold the fort for ONE year, and Travis Minor, Leonard Henry, and Co. can do that. It could even mean that RB is a bigger part of the passing game. AJ Feeley (hopefully) will receive his baptism by fire...unless this whole thing puts Wannstedt in his safe-mode shell and he makes Jay Fiedler the starter just by default.

At this point I would not consider a trade, as every team in the league with RB depth smells blood in the water. Particularly, any team that needs a DE can see a perfectly clear dream scenario formulating in their minds. Onterrio Smith for Adewale Ogunleye. Correl Buckhalter for Adewale Ogunleye. Lamar Gordon for Adewale Ogunleye. When an announcement is made like this, and every team in the league knows Miami is reeling from it, now is NOT the time to do a deal. They will rip us off and offer these crappy runningbacks for our star players and assume we'll do it because we're THAT desperate. We're not. I'm perfectly willing to go through the season as if Ricky suffered a season-ending injury.

Which brings me back to the one year thing. Just wait a year, pretend Ricky suffered a season-ending injury, because after a year we'll have our RB again. Edgerrin James has just gone around telling anyone that will listen that he's going to bolt down to Miami first chance he gets. He's miserable in the city of Indianapolis and really misses the Miami night life and he misses FLA in general. I've known guys who are good friends with him, and he misses FLA a lot. He comes down here every chance he gets and he's been licking his chops to get back down here...and the Dolphins present the perfect situation for him. He will command about the same money we were paying Ricky. Its interesting because if Miami had the #4 pick in the draft the year Ricky and Edge went, Jimmy was going to use the pick on Edge...even tried to trade up to get him.

Ricky bolting on us hurts, but its not like this will send Miami reeling for years. In 2000, we won the only playoff game we've ever won in the Wannstedt/Fiedler era...with Lamar Smith as our tailback, and guys like Leslie Shepherd, Tony Martin (shadow of his former self), and Oronde Gadsden at WR.

You wanted a way to get defenses to stop putting 8 men in the box? You just got it. With Travis Minor back there, hardly a defense in the league will stack against the running game unless they are stupid.

ckparrothead said:
God I wish Ricky would have made this announcement a week ago, BEFORE Eddie George signed with the Cowboys.

I gotta know why everyone is so hung up on this. George is done. I would bet big money that Minor will outrush George this year, both in total yards and yards per carry (assuming we don't trade for someone else).

ckparrothead said:
At this point I would not consider a trade, as every team in the league with RB depth smells blood in the water. Particularly, any team that needs a DE can see a perfectly clear dream scenario formulating in their minds. Onterrio Smith for Adewale Ogunleye. Correl Buckhalter for Adewale Ogunleye. Lamar Gordon for Adewale Ogunleye. When an announcement is made like this, and every team in the league knows Miami is reeling from it, now is NOT the time to do a deal. They will rip us off and offer these crappy runningbacks for our star players and assume we'll do it because we're THAT desperate. We're not. I'm perfectly willing to go through the season as if Ricky suffered a season-ending injury.

Here's the thing though: every team with RB depth smells blood in the water. True enough. But that cuts two ways. Though the front office, in and of itself, isn't in a great bargaining position, there's likely to be a lot of competition to make a deal. Minnesota is interested in a deal. Chicago might be interested in moving A-Train, and Philly might be interested in moving C-Buck. Oakland, Tampa Bay and Denver all have surplus backs. So even though the price tag will be high, there are enough potential trading partners that it's not going to be unreasonable, such as an Ogunleye-Onterrio Smith deal.

i say we ride with what we got , who knows maybe leonard henry will do for us what travis henry did for buffalo... you never know . then next year sign the edge as he wants to come back to miami to play , he's pretty much the same style as ricky and go from there ... there is no one person that can make or break a team , no one ...look we had the best qb of all time but he was just one person. super bowls are won as a team . i think this will make the phins a better team in the long run ... lets not give up even before the season starts i've seen teams do alot with less talent now lets kick some a$$ !!!!

I think Minor is a good back and can carry the load if they use him correctly, that is, they cannot use 80% between the tackles. If they split between the edges and inside runs he can be effective. He isnt ricky but he is capable, he has played well and played hard every chance he has been given. I also think Henry can be a long term solution, i really liked him last preseason and he looked great in NFLE before getting hurt. I would not mind getting Thomas or Bennett/smith like I said yesterday, but there is something to be said about now having the room to get Ogun locked up and signing CC to a l/t deal. We cannot afford to losee CC now that RW is gone and keeping our defense strong is more important than ever. we dont need to overhaul the offense, just be less conservative. Hey Minor is a home-run type player so he can provide some big plays.

I gotta know why everyone is so hung up on this. George is done. I would bet big money that Minor will outrush George this year, both in total yards and yards per carry (assuming we don't trade for someone else).

Eddie George still has gas in the tank and he can do the little things that help a team get to and win a championship. He is a complete back, that suffered through some injuries and isn't the same back he once was but in 2003 it would be hard to argue that even Ricky was the same back he once was. At the very least he would be a heck of a lot better at running inside than Travis Minor will be. Minor has never impressed me. He's one dimensional. Speed no power. The way he goes down at first contact reminds me of Karim Adbul-Jabbar. He can get over 4 yards per if he has a good OL, but with our current OL, the guy is a 3.5 yard per carry runner whose career numbers have been inflated by the fact that he's been used as a 3rd down back primarily through his career.

I hope I'm wrong, but thats the way I see it. He'll get us through the year but we'll have to get creative with running draws, counter-trays, and lots of screens.

Henry has impressed me maybe a little more than Minor, but I honestly see him as more having Lamar Smith type potential than having Ricky Williams type potential. Still, we won our only Wannstedt-era playoff game with Lamar Smith running for us...so Henry ought to be a nice option.

ckparrothead said:
Eddie George still has gas in the tank and he can do the little things that help a team get to and win a championship. He is a complete back, that suffered through some injuries and isn't the same back he once was but in 2003 it would be hard to argue that even Ricky was the same back he once was. At the very least he would be a heck of a lot better at running inside than Travis Minor will be. Minor has never impressed me. He's one dimensional. Speed no power. The way he goes down at first contact reminds me of Karim Adbul-Jabbar. He can get over 4 yards per if he has a good OL, but with our current OL, the guy is a 3.5 yard per carry runner whose career numbers have been inflated by the fact that he's been used as a 3rd down back primarily through his career.

I hope I'm wrong, but thats the way I see it. He'll get us through the year but we'll have to get creative with running draws, counter-trays, and lots of screens.

Ck, usually I look forward to reading your posts, but you are so wrong about Minor.

First, he is not all speed never has been. Minor is a between the tackles guy that reads his blocks well and works the creases for yardage. He is not flashy and the big knock on him in college was that he was good but not the break away threat that FSU had with Dunn.

The other thing about Minor is that he is tough to bring down for a guy his size. The one thing I always liked about him in college is that he is a tough runner. But, I was frustrated by the lack of big runs.

In other words, in terms of style (not talent), he's more of an Emmit Smith than a Barry Sanders.

Ricky was great because he had it all. Sigh.

I think Henry is lost in all this. I think he has great potential. I'm very comfortable with Minor and Henry.

First, he is not all speed never has been. Minor is a between the tackles guy that reads his blocks well and works the creases for yardage. He is not flashy and the big knock on him in college was that he was good but not the break away threat that FSU had with Dunn.

I'm not denying that Minor DOES run between the tackles and follow blocks, just saying that he does not do it well. He doesn't have that ability to make the last yard, to yard and a half, by his own effort. Thats something that all decent between-the-tackles kinds of guys need in order to be successful in the NFL. The knack for falling forward, getting that extra yard, or maybe even two yards...I've not seen it in Travis Minor and I've watched him run for 3 years now. He doesn't have especially good vision, or especially quick feet a la Vick/Sanders. So basically we'll be running a guy in a between the tackles vertical offense, with a runningback who will be looking to follow blocks and hope for open space to break the big one. That won't lead to the consistent offense that we need. He could maybe succeed in a West Coast Offense, where there is more side to side running and trickery, but in this offense...trust me the guy is 3.5 yards per carry waiting to happen...with the occasional one game where he gets 5.0 yards per carry because he managed to break a 30 or 40 yard run.

In other words, in terms of style (not talent), he's more of an Emmit Smith than a Barry Sanders.

You're too kind to him. He's more of a John Avery/Trung Canidate than an Emmitt Smith.

We'll need some serious run blocking from the OL to get Minor going and thats fine, because at least now they'll have a shot at getting that kind of blocking going now that any defense would be plain stupid to continue putting 8 men in the box against us.

I've seen Trung Canidate run btw in Washington, and the Minor comparison holds up. Trung and Travis run very similarly. They've both got good speed, though Trung has better speed, its just that they don't have that knack for being able to use that speed. You either follow the right holes, or see the ones that others don't see, or you do not...and if you don't, you'd better have a good OL....

Minor is a good between the tackles runner for his size. So, he was useful in that capacity in college. We would be foolish to depend on his undersized frame in that capacity on every down. He does run like a larger back with good instincts and the ability to wait for blocks and find the seems. He is just too small and can be wrapped up at the line very easily. He was a good guy to mix in with Ricky but he cannot fill Ricky's role.

On the plus side, he should be a better reciever out of the backfield though. That always was something Ricky never did extraordinarily well. Run by commitee is what we have to look forward to that is our reality. Timing has probably seeled our fate as far as that goes. As for trades, lets be conservative because lets face it, what is available right now isn't really worth trading much for and we are already short a 2nd rounder in '05. We're gonna take our lumps.

I feel fine with our current backs. Also our passing attack will be like throwning a kid who does not know how to swim in deep water. 1. The kid will drown or 2. He will swim.

I think TM runs surprisingly well between the tackles. I didn't remember him doing it much at FSU, but I have been surprised by how much power he has shown while with Miami. I don't see the Trung Candidate comparison at all. Minor has better vision and more power although he's not as fast. I hope the team keeps the status quo. At most, they bring in a FA (no trade) for short yardage situations. But I'd be just fine if they decide to wait and see how Henry performs in preseason.

Back
Top Bottom