Dolphins RB Thigpen eager to show what he can do

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by DKphin, Nov 27, 2013.

1. DKphin

DKphin A True Fan Donator

I have my doubts. Without a OL to block for him, I do not see him doing alot.

2. Despacio

Despacio Pro Bowler

Not even Barry Sanders could excel when there are zero holes. But I hope he finds a way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Fintastic2124

Fintastic2124 A True Fan

His only chance to make a splash in this offense is to catch passes.

4. GasPed

GasPed A True Fan

With his speed there's always a chance he can break one, but with his size there's also a chance he'll get stopped for a loss. I'm guessing the chances of the latter are significantly higher than the former...

5. artdnj

artdnj Time is Now Finheaven VIP

If it means he stops fielding punts and kicks I'm all for it.

6. GasPed

GasPed A True Fan

Btw, I've said this before and I'll say it again, having watched Thigpen in the CFL, he is just an inconsistent ballplayer. He can do it all, and he can do it well, but he can't seem to do it for very long. His stints at WR with Hamilton were marred by dropped balls, and when he played RB you always knew he was one big hit away from coughing it up. He was a scary player whether you were playing against him or with him.

7. LANGER72

LANGER72 A True Fan

I guess my biggest concern would be him fumbling. He should be given carries, but he needs to be reminded to secure the ball.

8. LDaniel7

LDaniel7 FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

This is so much BS. Thigpen has a chance to make a difference on every punt return -- and he's not only not made a difference, he's hurt the team by becoming a non-factor in the return game. His short space explosiveness is non-existent. Either he has an injury no one knows about or he's tapped out his talent as a KR/PR -- and most likely WR, based on the non-talent shown so far this year in the return game.

LD

9. dlockz

dlockz Hall Of Famer

Thigpen is not an NFL runningback. He would do some nice things catching of backfield but no dont even mention Foster with him.

10. jvw

jvw Starter

He could have success if used properly, I think he should be used more on third downs and late in games when we are playing catch up.....he has good vision, good speed and can break tackles....looking forward to his chance to get more reps on sunday

11. northnj dolfan

northnj dolfan Well-Known Member

Hopefully he dosen't run around sideways like he does on kickoffs and punts.

12. sixzero

sixzero Well-Known Member

Thank you for this insight. Hopefully he can get it together starting with this Sunday.

13. Third Eye

Third Eye Scout Team

Three career carries. My god this team and the staggering lack of depth is mind boggling.

14. hoops

hoops exited stage left

I don't like thiggy as a ball carrier running back and I don't much like him anymore on the offense over other options either in some packages...last year it made sense cause we didn't have much talent...

But gillislee does nothing for me as a ball carrier also...the 3 deep rb core needs a make over this offseason

15. bird33

bird33 Well-Known Member

why is thigpen even on this team? he's supposed to be a good return man yet he's awful at that and makes one bad decision after another regarding fair catches and when to take the ball out of the endzone. he had some moments last year but this season ha has been total sh*t.

16. TX-FinFan

TX-FinFan Seasoned Veteran

Maybe they put him at RB and then flank him out wide on a LB? I'm not impressed with his vision or speed on KR/PR duties.

17. Shouright

Shouright Banned Hammered

The OL blocks for the run no worse than that of the average team in the league.

18. Sirspud

Sirspud Pro Bowler

My vote is to give Thigpen more time at running back and less at returner. Or less time at running back and also less time at returner.

19. maralieus

maralieus Lets get those balls deep!!

He can't do any worse right? Just don't lose 9 yards on any runs and I will say he is a success!!

20. Sirspud

Sirspud Pro Bowler

He's going to fair catch his handoffs.

21. kcbrown

kcbrown Life is what we make it. Donator

I have lost all belief that Thigpen can be a player. Gillislie is average as hell. Is it that hard to find a 5'10", 210lb back with speed, power, and vision??

22. Dr. Phin

Dr. Phin Scout Team

And he dropped the one he was given a chance on recently. You don't get a lot of second chances in the NFL...

He has shown me nothing that makes me consider him a threat. He used to be be a better returner than Bess, but I can't even say that anymore...

23. nopokerinoot

nopokerinoot Banned Hammered

He has been an abortion this year. Just ****ing terrible.

24. GasPed

GasPed A True Fan

We had a guy named Kory Sheets a couple years ago that showed some promise. He'll be a free agent in Feb. (after showing what he could actually do in the CFL the past 2 years). Don't think he's an every down guy, but he has good power, good hands and a pretty good burst too. Biggest issue is that he's 28.

25. iambanned

iambanned Banned Hammered

I saw terrible vision by our RBs last week. There were a lot of places on many plays for our RBs to go and they too often run to darkness vs daylight.

26. Notso

Notso Well-Known Member

Where the hell is Gillislee? didn't we draft him in like the 5th? this is what you draft a player in that position for situations like this. I do think this draft class will eventually be good, but god, this might be the most least productive first year draft ever.

27. artdnj

artdnj Time is Now Finheaven VIP

We need a back with a nasty streak with muscle mass. even the Jets have that in both there backs, not elite but heavy hitters that don't go down on first contact.

28. Ruckus45

Ruckus45 FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

Abortion? I can't agree with that. Perhaps abhorrent.

29. tay0365

tay0365 FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

Probably not, considering Devon Bess starting did not stop him fielding punts.

30. johngarry

johngarry "Mysterious" Super Donator Donator

good lord this is a desperate team. return guy who can't find return holes promising to find holes on offense... and they believe him! and they want us to believe him! Hallelujah! our season is saved!!

31. GoonBoss

GoonBoss Finheaven Templar Super Donator Donator

"Give a chance" talk is ****ing awesome.

I've yet to see ANY quantification of what a "Chance" is.

32. Sirspud

Sirspud Pro Bowler

I've yet to feel like Lamar Miller has been given a chance, and that's after 11 games with him being what is almost our starting runner.

33. phintim

phintim Seasoned Veteran

Miller was injury prone in college which concerns me at the NFL level. I consider him a talented back that serves best in a rotation back that will allow him to stay healthy. Regardless we will find out these next few weeks if he is capable of taking the next step.

34. Sirspud

Sirspud Pro Bowler

I doubt we will find out much of anything. This staff doesn't know how to manage the run game unless it is effective from the first drive on. If we have a couple unsuccessful runs in a row,, we abandon it, regardless of if our passing game is effective. Many of the runs they call are from passing formations/shotgun, where there is more chance of negative yardage, which tends to happen with an offensive line that hasn't had a chance to gel. Also, since this time is very effective at blowing any leads they are able to get, there is never a situation where the coaching staff is comfortable not passing the ball regularly in attempts to score more points, which has resulted in less opportunities for the run game than their should be with a lead.

Despite averaging 4.2 ypc behind a generally terrible offensive line in disarray, Miller has only topped 15 carries twice, and his season high is 18. We haven't seen consistent blocking in a lot of our games, which has limited his usage, but in games where he has had a lot of success, he still hasn't seen the ball 1/2 as much as a "starting" runner should. I see nothing to suggest that this coaching staff will suddenly know how to use Lamar Miller just because his primary backup is out. It's yet another aspect of their ineptitude.

I don't think we should worry about limiting Lamar Miller's opportunities just because he had injury problems in college. Between he and his bigger counterpart, we've seen Daniel Thomas injured a lot, and haven't really seen Lamar have any issues.

35. NBP81

NBP81 Yippi ka yay mother******! Donator

Great post man! I agree 100%

36. utahphinsfan

utahphinsfan Puck Fitzburgh

Something like between slim & none when slim has left the bldg or between a rock and a hard place.

[video=youtube;lR9WjYi-G2Q]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lR9WjYi-G2Q[/video]

37. Phinatic8u

Phinatic8u Adam ****ing Gase

TJ Yeldon.

---------- Post added at 10:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:30 PM ----------

Until we get a consistent running game and actually STICK to it Miami will never score alot of points.