Dolphins resign Kendall Lamm | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins resign Kendall Lamm

This is a good signing, IMO. The Fins still need to go IOL in the draft.

/pound

Fautanu and Barton are two guys, who at one time, earlier in the draft process were likely available at #21. That's since changed. Both have really improved their draft stock and have potentially moved out of Miami's range in the first round.

Re-signing Lamm has given Miami the ability to not have to force, selecting an OT at #21. With both Fautanu and Barton now seemingly out of the picture, Miami may concentrate on taking the BPA approach. The draft is stacked all along the OL, giving Grier another OLine option in round two, or perhaps late round one, if they trade down?

Lamm developed under coach McDaniel and Barry. It's good to see him back. I actually thought he'd garner more interest from around the league and surprised he didn't. I love the security blanket he provides the team.

Last edited:
My thoughts have not changed one iota. Lamm will be 32, Armstead is a part time player. Both will be gone in 2025.

Jackson has advanced to league average.

Kion Smith will be in his third year of being our project swing Tackle.

I'm drafting an Offensive Tackle.

These part time players are band aids at best. We NEED a long term answer here, and this frittering around that some of you think is a long term answer... it isn't.

Draft an Offensive Tackle with our first pick. It's the way to go.

That will depend on Armstead's health.

If its a 1 year deal at a reasonable price then its a very good re-signing. Now OT is not as urgent of a need.

With as frequently as Armstead is injured we have to have a good backup LT.
I would like a guy good enough to start at LT and who also could play LG when Armstead is healthy.

My thoughts have not changed one iota. Lamm will be 32, Armstead is a part time player. Both will be gone in 2025.

Jackson has advanced to league average.

Kion Smith will be in his third year of being our project swing Tackle.

I'm drafting an Offensive Tackle.

These part time players are band aids at best. We NEED a long term answer here, and this frittering around that some of you think is a long term answer... it isn't.

Draft an Offensive Tackle with our first pick. It's the way to go.

Ok, but who can you get at 21 who will give you draft value and be able to contribute in Year 1?
I don't see that guy, and you can force at LT like Jordan Morgan but you'd be passing on better players at other need positions.

This OL at all costs philosophy is not the way to go unless the right player at the right spot is there.

Very nice piece. Without him, I’d be concerned at OT depth.

9 linemen
1. Armstead
2. AJ
3. Brewer
4. Wynn
5. R Jones
6. Lamm
7. Eich
8. Driscoll
9. Kion Smith
Cotton if someone hurt

To me, DL is the far more acute need. There we have Sieler and a bunch of depth pieces. Draft has some good day two pieces on the D line. Sweat from Texas. Huge but more wiggle than you’d expect. Hall from Ohio State etc. Would love to get a couple. Then that drops a lot of our guys into depth roles.
I think our OL, at least at this point, is pretty close to last season.

At T, Armstead is equal. It will just come down to how many games he misses.
AJ, Lamm and Smith are probably better just to development and time in the system.

G - lost talent b/c of the loss of Hunt, but our depth is better. Cotton played a ton of snaps last season and IMO the depth would have kept Cotton off the field. (If we add a guy like Tomlinson or a draft pick, the overall talent will be closer).

C - Brewer is below Williams as a pass blocker but as good as a run blocker. In our system, a ton of our pass plays we block like a run play and just rely on Tua to get the ball out quick, so that downgrade may not be that noticeable.

My biggest gripe has been about adding better C depth. Williams returning on a 'prove it' deal or even adding a mid to late round C or late FA might be an upgrade to what Eich was for us at C last season.

I'm thinking we get that center JPJ
I wouldn't go that direction, at least in rd1. I question if he has the lateral quickness to fit a zone scheme, particularly on wider run plays.

He chose not to run the the 40, 3 cone or shuttle so what do we really know about his relative athleticism.

Analysis
By Lance Zierlein
NFL Analyst
NFL Comparison
Quinn Meinerz
Overview
Broadly built center prospect with below-average length but above-average upper-body power. Powers-Johnson isn’t much of a knee-bender, which impacts his pad level and drive leverage, but he can torque and toss opponents around with some regularity at the point. Powers-Johnson is a fierce competitor with a salty disposition but needs to improve his first-phase technique to create more consistent block sustains. Despite average athleticism, he doesn’t seem to have many issues in pass protection, as he works with clear eyes, a wide base and good discipline to keep his weight back. His rookie season could be bumpy if he has to play early, but he should come out on the other side as a long-time starter.

Strengths
Carries broad chest, thick hips and meaty hands.
Heavy hands hammer A-gap threats when protecting the quarterback.
Processes gaming fronts without overreacting or lunging.
Plays with a rugged, disdainful attitude toward opponents.
Jolts defenders around with powerful upper body.
Plays with adequate footwork for double-teams and work-up blocks.

Weaknesses
Relatively limited experience as a full-time starter.
Would like to see better pad level and explosion into first contact.
Below-average body control to consistently square up moving targets.
Lacks lateral quickness to reach play-side defenders at a high rate.
Limited reactive quickness if he’s isolated against an athletic rusher.

I wouldn't go that direction, at least in rd1. I question if he has the lateral quickness to fit a zone scheme, particularly on wider run plays.

He chose not to run the the 40, 3 cone or shuttle so what do we really know about his relative athleticism.

Analysis
By Lance Zierlein
NFL Analyst
NFL Comparison
Quinn Meinerz
Overview
Broadly built center prospect with below-average length but above-average upper-body power. Powers-Johnson isn’t much of a knee-bender, which impacts his pad level and drive leverage, but he can torque and toss opponents around with some regularity at the point. Powers-Johnson is a fierce competitor with a salty disposition but needs to improve his first-phase technique to create more consistent block sustains. Despite average athleticism, he doesn’t seem to have many issues in pass protection, as he works with clear eyes, a wide base and good discipline to keep his weight back. His rookie season could be bumpy if he has to play early, but he should come out on the other side as a long-time starter.

Strengths
Carries broad chest, thick hips and meaty hands.
Heavy hands hammer A-gap threats when protecting the quarterback.
Processes gaming fronts without overreacting or lunging.
Plays with a rugged, disdainful attitude toward opponents.
Jolts defenders around with powerful upper body.
Plays with adequate footwork for double-teams and work-up blocks.

Weaknesses
Relatively limited experience as a full-time starter.
Would like to see better pad level and explosion into first contact.
Below-average body control to consistently square up moving targets.
Lacks lateral quickness to reach play-side defenders at a high rate.
Limited reactive quickness if he’s isolated against an athletic rusher.

I see that last part. But what do you do?

I see that last part. But what do you do?
Like I said, I don't draft him in rd1.

If you make a mistake in rd3, meh, no big deal. When you reach and miss in rd1, it hurts for years.

I realize there are no guarantees beyond a few guys, but reaching for perceived need early in the draft, particularly when we already brought in an experienced, scheme fit Center, makes no sense to me

Very nice piece. Without him, I’d be concerned at OT depth.

9 linemen
1. Armstead
2. AJ
3. Brewer
4. Wynn
5. R Jones
6. Lamm
7. Eich
8. Driscoll
9. Kion Smith
Cotton if someone hurt

To me, DL is the far more acute need. There we have Sieler and a bunch of depth pieces. Draft has some good day two pieces on the D line. Sweat from Texas. Huge but more wiggle than you’d expect. Hall from Ohio State etc. Would love to get a couple. Then that drops a lot of our guys into depth roles.
Good points. DL is a more crucial need as we needs both pass rushers and interior defenders with our two best pass rushers coming off injuries and our best defender leaving for LV. I like the second round DTs but think Murphy or Newton could fall into the sweet spot of need and value at #21.

Back
Top Bottom