Dolphins sign Jack Discroll | Page 9 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins sign Jack Discroll

I believe like most the plays were away from him.. let’s be objective about it..in watching him, he didn’t really do anything.
Being objective, he kept the man he was assigned to pass block, away from the QB. I think that is kind of what an RT is supposed to do in pass protection.

Was well regarded at AU and I suppose UMass before that.

Totally agree that he is primarily RG material, perhaps even starter but also has a little to offer at the tackle positions.

Nice to see us appear to upgrade depth positions.
Driscoll doesn't look as mean and ornery as good ol' Jack Elam did though. ;)

I watched it and thought, not bad at all. He could get you through a game if Jackson got hurt and it wouldn't be a disaster. Solid backup emergency tackle with a chance to compete at guard. Not much to not like about the signing.
Totally agree. I don't see how anyone could watch that Tweet video of Driscoll at RT vs Buffalo and not think he did a pretty good job.

True story:

About 13 years ago, CK and I got into a mildly heated debate about a QB. He insisted the guy wouldn’t amount to much. I was of the opinion the guy had the tools to be a dynamic playmaker in the NFL, if he went to a team that was willing to adjust.

He wasn’t a horrible passer, but he wasn’t tremendously accurate. However, he had ridiculous arm talent and athleticism.

That player was Colin Kaepernick. I’m still not sure who was right.
Kaepernick played in a Super Bowl. I think that makes you correct

True story:

About 13 years ago, CK and I got into a mildly heated debate about a QB. He insisted the guy wouldn’t amount to much. I was of the opinion the guy had the tools to be a dynamic playmaker in the NFL, if he went to a team that was willing to adjust.

He wasn’t a horrible passer, but he wasn’t tremendously accurate. However, he had ridiculous arm talent and athleticism.

That player was Colin Kaepernick. I’m still not sure who was right.
My first months here I didn't know anything about ckparrothead except he seemed sure of himself and he was very high on Aaron Rodgers. I didn't agree. I had attended Cal at USC months earlier. Sorority girls sitting nearby were literally laughing at Aaron Rodgers for refusing to throw downfield to wide open receivers. It was blatant all game. Rodgers settled for one check down pass after another and turned a rightful victory into a narrow frustrating defeat.

Merril Hoge did a breakdown of that game on ESPN, leading to the draft and spotlighting the same thing, Rodgers' incredibly timid pass selection. I have no idea if that was one of the contributing factors leading to Rodgers' plummet. I wouldn't be surprised.

Regardless, this ckparrothead guy remained true to his conviction and turned out to be correct.

From what I've seen he does very good with the top tier quarterback prospects but developed a tendency to get cute and force things down the ladder, like with Jake Fromm and Easton Stick.

I wish he was still posting regularly. But once these guys get on social media I guess it gets to be a kick when mainstream guys are quoting and retoking and refacing

I'll watch it again. I do not recall him allowing any immediate pressure.
I saw it at roughly these points in the video…

0:09
0:41
0:45
0:55 (running play)
1:26
2:04

But he also had some good moments. And on a few of those where he was beat off the ball pretty quickly, you could say he managed to force the defender somewhat deep enough.

But he also had some good moments. And on a few of those where he was beat off the ball pretty quickly, you could say he managed to force the defender somewhat deep enough.

Also the Bills have a very good D line and he held his own for the most part

Better inside but can play tackle in a pinch

Also the Bills have a very good D line and he held his own for the most part

Better inside but can play tackle in a pinch
Agreed. Hopefully that is all we’ll need and AJax has another healthy, strong season. As of this moment, I am on board with Wynn and Driscoll (sight unseen) at the guard spots.

There were a couple of plays where the pass rusher tried to run the arc on Driscoll, but he stayed with them and Hurts had to step up. Most QBs would step up in the pocket looking to pass but Hurts just took off for decent runs. I paused it whenever I saw something where I thought Driscoll got beat and 0:46 was it. I did not see what you saw bad at those other times. 0:09, I could not see anything wrong there. The 0:55 running play was not blown up by his man. It was the RG's man who then also defeated the RB. Driscoll's guy showed up after the play was over. 1:26, he ran his man upfield and Hurts stepped up and ran for a 1st down. I don't fault Driscoll there. 2:04 was another example of the edge trying to run the arc, and Driscoll stayed with him very well. That snap was handled perfectly. His man did not come close to affecting the play.
Just curious, does the Forks in your name refer to Forks, Washington?

That name Jack Driscoll has some type of significance longer term. Literary or media. Annoying because I can't place it. I'm not looking it up.
He was Adrien Brody's character in the 2005 King Kong movie. Character was played by Bruce Cabot in the 1933 version.

Last edited:
My first months here I didn't know anything about ckparrothead except he seemed sure of himself and he was very high on Aaron Rodgers. I didn't agree. I had attended Cal at USC months earlier. Sorority girls sitting nearby were literally laughing at Aaron Rodgers for refusing to throw downfield to wide open receivers. It was blatant all game. Rodgers settled for one check down pass after another and turned a rightful victory into a narrow frustrating defeat.

Merril Hoge did a breakdown of that game on ESPN, leading to the draft and spotlighting the same thing, Rodgers' incredibly timid pass selection. I have no idea if that was one of the contributing factors leading to Rodgers' plummet. I wouldn't be surprised.

Regardless, this ckparrothead guy remained true to his conviction and turned out to be correct.

From what I've seen he does very good with the top tier quarterback prospects but developed a tendency to get cute and force things down the ladder, like with Jake Fromm and Easton Stick.

I wish he was still posting regularly. But once these guys get on social media I guess it gets to be a kick when mainstream guys are quoting and retoking and refacing

He’s wrong his fair share. But so is everyone.

Back
Top Bottom