Dolphins working on trade for offensive tackle Branden Albert | Page 24 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins working on trade for offensive tackle Branden Albert

The logic is sound. You don't want to use TWO PICKS FOR A LEFT TACKLE.....when you can use ONE PICK FOR A LEFT TACKLE. Simple reasoning really. It actually mind boggles that anyone can't reason that one out. ;)

---------- Post added at 06:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:49 PM ----------

Thumper it's common sense. At pick 54 there will be no STARTING LEFT TACKLES AVAILABLE. And to get one of the top 3 it will cost use #12 AND #54. No brainer.:bobdole:
\

100% correct. PROVEN left tackle, mind you.

That's one way to look at it. The other way to look at it would be to make the trade and save a pick by not having to package 2 picks to move up and draft one. I'd rather do this and use the 1st round pick on something else.

This completely ignores the opportunity cost of the extra $6-7 million you pay Albert that you could otherwise sign another player with if you move up and draft a tackle that only costs $2-$3 million vs Alberts $8-$10million.

This completely ignores the opportunity cost of the extra $6-7 million you pay Albert that you could otherwise sign another player with if you move up and draft a tackle that only costs $2-$3 million vs Alberts $8-$10million.

Money well spent. I'll keep the extra pick and get another impact player to add to the team.

I am sure Miami hasn't been given permission to talk to Albert directly, but if anyone is buying what Andy is saying, then I have some ocean front property in Arizona to sell you.

Miami is talking to Albert's agent and getting a feel for what he wants on a long term deal. That's how the NFL works when it does trades that involve new contracts.

That's one way to look at it. The other way to look at it would be to make the trade and save a pick by not having to package 2 picks to move up and draft one. I'd rather do this and use the 1st round pick on something else.

Or we could try to do what the better teams of the league do, ie don't trade picks for cornfeds EVER.

I wonder if this was the plan all along or is Ireland in his typical PANIC!! mode.

Or we could try to do what the better teams of the league do, ie don't trade picks for cornfeds EVER.

I wonder if this was the plan all along or is Ireland in his typical PANIC!! mode.

PLAN and Jeff Ireland are rarely used in the same sentence unless you have the words 'Does not have a" in between.

If we end up trading away a coveted second round pick for a 28 yr old LT coming off of injury and paying him the similar money as we would have just keeping Jake Long I will laugh.

This is precisely the type of move Jeff 'Buy High Sell Low" Ireland is known for so I am expecting the worst case scenario.

Depending on what side of the fence you are on regarding Branden Albert, you will be able to put any kind of spin on it you want to be able to justify your feelings. Obviously you are on the "not a fan of this trade" side of the fence.

Good Point. So let's mediate it with someone we all trust!

In his pre-draft conference call Thursday, NFL Network draft analyst Mike Mayock opined that surrendering a new mega contract and a draft pick for Albert should give most teams hesitation. But for the Dolphins, "I'm in," Mayock said.

Let's see... Miami is interested in Albert who'll cost big money, a draft pick, doesn't seem like a good fit for the ZBS and has health concerns.
On the other hand....Miami is not interested in Winston who won't cost a draft pick, cheaper than what Albert will want, good fit for the ZBS and doesn't have injury riddled past.

Makes perfect sense.

Money well spent. I'll keep the extra pick and get another impact player to add to the team.

They don't HAVE to trade up, either. Stand pat, go in with a lot of picks, save some cap room and build the way winners do.

Let's see... Miami is interested in Albert who'll cost big money, a draft pick, doesn't seem like a good fit for the ZBS and has health concerns.
On the other hand....Miami is not interested in Winston who won't cost a draft pick, cheaper than what Albert will want, good fit for the ZBS and doesn't have injury riddled past.

Makes perfect sense.

albert played pretty good last year in a ZBS

This is all going to depend on the contract demand. Just because he WANTS $8-9M per, doesnt mean he is going to get it. Its either hold out, play RT for the Chiefs and be a loser, or come to Miami on a multi-year contract and play for whats looking like a team on the rise for a reasonable yearly salary. Forget our second rounders! Name me one 2nd rounder that has panned out since Pat Surtain. I say trade the other 2nd rounder along with our second rounder next year and get back into the late first if someone falls further than predicted. We can grab Eifert for our redzone threat and get Carradine to play opposite of Wake and we can take CB in the third round. With a pass rush we wont need to cover long.

Back
Top Bottom