Dowell Loggains is new OC | Page 8 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dowell Loggains is new OC

Look at the last 3 weeks. Miami rushing 30% of the time for last place. Chicago with Loggains was second to last at 35%....

I'm not a big fan of this appointment. I think Gase needs to surround himself with a few coaches who think outside the box and are not just old friends of his and yes men to his system. I would've liked to have seen the Dolphins appoint an experienced and proven OC to really get our offence going next season.

Hiring Bilbo doesn't mean much, OCs for us are basically just paid interns, and in this case Gase is doing his buddy a favor, on Ross' dime. Christianson doesn't give a **** what he's called, he'll just keep doing what he's been doing, whatever that is.

The real meat on the bone in this story is Darlington's comment that Gase needs to be spoken to in a certain way at a certain time. It goes back to the Timmons going AWOL fiasco. The same guy that broke that story also let it slip that it was over a power struggle. (incidentally the same guy says Gase and Landry don't like each other and Landry has been sent to the locker room at practice before, and he said this midseason) Timmons didn't go insane temporarily, he was like what the **** did I get myself into.

I guess Gase was looking for a guy who could more effectively dumb-down our offense to fit our dumb players.

Instead of this uninspiring Bears hire to replace an existing coordinator, why for ****s sake arent we grabbing Fangio from that coaching staff to replace Burke?? Wouldn't that make more sense?

Well I think I saw he just interviewed for the HC job in Chicago and wanted by the Packers if not- so maybe Gase reached out
To him or maybe not but I know what Job I would take if between GB and MIA

At least he'll bring that winning culture with him
8 wins(2 in overtime) and 24 losses in his 2 years as OC for the Bears

Being good at managing players/personality, communicating with Gase, and working with a QB are three very important/positive things. Most people here don’t know **** about the guy other than what’s posted on Twitter, me included.

If those attributes exist and he’s got a relationship with Gase, I am fine with the hire. It’s just going to serve as a preparer for the plays/schemes of Gase’s choosing, and another seat at the table.

Offense has a lot to prove next year.

Sort of what I was thinking. I read that Loggains excels at holding players accountable. Reading between the lines, this (along with communication) may have been a big issue with Clyde. He sort of came across as a congenial guy who may have gotten too buddy/buddy with the players. Way too many dumb pre-snap penalties this year as well as guys not knowing their assignments. Sometimes you just need a hard-nosed guy who isn't afraid to get in the faces of "star" players.

I saw a comment about a player last week tearing it up in practice and Gase was not amused because he felt the player should have been playing that way long ago. One thing is for sure, this team lacked accountability. You could see it on both sides of the ball with all the inconsistencies. How else do you explain the team dominating one week and then laying an egg the next?

I hope they continue to turn over the coaching staff....DB coach, DL coach, etc.

2020? Gase needs to be fired after the 2018 season if things don't go well.

Exactly! 2018 playoffs or fired. To continue mediocrity for continuity is insane. Look at the Bengals. Second longest tenure with Lewis and what do they have to show for it....what ZERO playoff wins! **** that, people need to know that if they don’t produce then they are fired. No more blaming everyone else, the blame needs to start a lt the top like a real leader. Hell, playoffs next year or blow it up is what Ross should be saying.

I don't know a lot about Dowell Loggains. He didn't have a high profile. For someone who has had various offensive roles on some pretty crappy teams, he has been steadily promoted and given opportunities. Interested to learn more about him. What are his strengths and weaknesses? Is he a disciplinarian? Has he had any success in developing talent? Who?
Also interesting to note that Miami didn't take an opportunity to interview any other Offensive Coordinator candidates. It almost seems like Coach Gase realized his old buddy was available and then Tannenbaum and Grier raced to sign him up.

Sounds like the stuff we heard about Gase when he was hired here. Apparently the rumors were a tad off. Hopefully Loggains will be able to incorporate these traits.

Why did Miami Dolphins choose Dowell Loggains as OC? Familiarity with multiple schemes... Develops pocket awareness of QB's... Outstanding with players and respected around league... Good at managing people... Holds players and coaches accountable.

Communication may be the problem. If so few understand Gase it might be time to change the way he communicates. I would be interested to know after this round of coaching shake ups how many of his original hirings will be on the team that weren't here before him.

It probably sounds a little hokey or unimportant, but Loggains knows how and when to communicate with Gase, which is actually going to be a key to the team's future. It's something that didn't exist, I'm told, with Clyde Christensen.
Yes, you’ll hear plenty about how Dowell Loggains is one of the brighter offensive minds in NFL. This is true -- even with 2017 Bears in mind. But there’s a more important reason this hire is important: Rapport with Gase. Few people understand Gase's complex personality better.

No I can’t but maybe Ross will grow some balls and do it. Harbaugh would be a much better option. Look at what he did with a loser team in the 49ers with Kap at QB. Gasy bringing in his Chicago buddies isn’t going to improve anything.

John maybe,not 3rd place Jimmy!!!!..At Stanford he had Andrew Luck,that covered up a bunch...then he goes to San Fran....a team that he didn't build,changes from Smith to Kap,(that right there should disqualify him from anything)..but it caught DC's
off guard for a bit,till they caught on.
He parlayed that into a Super Bowl appearance,that John schooled him.
Now at Michigan,after HOW many years,3rd place Jimmy hasn't even won his division!!!..What?..Fourth place this year!!!
Jimmy would rather have sleep overs with recruits,than actually ,you know,...win!!!

Back
Top Bottom