Draft Rumors | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Draft Rumors

Dolphins have Shown some interest in Jordan Phillips and like his hide apparently.

I wonder if this points to looking at 2nd rnd DTs? There Could be some good ones left there when we draft.

IF MINN trades Petersen they would likely get draft picks back so they could draft a RB with one of those picks instead of using their own #1.

Sounds good to me. Shelton wouldn't bother me one bit.

If we go Shelton/Brown, Cooper/White/Parker, Waynes/Peters, Kendricks or Scherff and I wouldn't be upset. Anyone other than that, with the exception of maaaybe Gurley, and I would not be too pleased.
Agree 100% add DGB to the WR mix, Gordan or Gurley and I would love this draft in any one of those scenarios.. Just got this feeling they go with a player that we aren't talking about.. And if they do I wont pass judgement until I see him play a full year.. Because I didn't know who James was until a day before the draft.. That worked out real nice.. :brewskis:

Suh and Danny Shelton playing side-by-side should be banished by the comish and treated as an unfair advantage by Miami!! Can you imagine the havoc? Malcolm Brown is just as disruptive too!!

Can you imagine all the new rules put in place to protect Brady.......

It's getting to the point now that many would be shocked if Dante Fowler isn't a Jag, including Fowler himself.

Newest team to start showing interest in Mariota is the Bears, and there have been internal discussions about a Cutler to Tennessee trade.

It's getting to the point now that many would be shocked if Dante Fowler isn't a Jag, including Fowler himself.

Newest team to start showing interest in Mariota is the Bears, and there have been internal discussions about a Cutler to Tennessee trade.

Have to think they're playing him. He's part of one of the strongest position groups in the draft, and he's put up one productive season - couldn't even call him a one-year wonder. In addition to that, he's ridiculously overrated as an athlete. He's just a bad bet in the early 1st. Guys like Beasley, Dupree, and Gregory are great bets - assuming Gregory doesn't smoke himself out of the league. Beasley seems like a good fit for Jacksonville. You have a polished, dynamic pass rusher with high-end physical tools. Red flags for Gregory aside, I think any of Beasley, Dupree, or Gregory would be a good pick for Jacksonville. I think Fowler would be a very poor pick.

Speaking of Edge/DE, Frank Clark looks to have his legal issues behind him, and one of the nfl.com guys (maybe LZ) reported that some GM's were talking about him in the top 100. How do you feel about Clark as a prospect?

I am hoping we can draft Devante Parker. I just love how he goes up for the ball and catches it even when he is double teamed. I also would love to see Shelton up front next to Suh. Hopefully other teams make some strange picks and some reaches and we get one of these guys. I would also love Scherff at the OG position.

I found the related link on footballsfuture.com, evaluating edge rushers based on metrics:

http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=561995

I'll post a summary from within the thread. Obviously, Fowler doesn't fare nearly as well by the numbers as his current subjective appraisal. :

"So according to the formula, of the players we can define with it, these are the groups.

Low risk 1

Vic Beasley - Looking at the formula on the original page, the cutoff is 1.05, but I didn't see any examples of 103 or 104 guys in the groups that didn't meet that cutoff. Is there reason the hard cutoff is 105?

Low risk 2

Frank Clark
Owa Odighizuwa
Davis Tull
Bud Dupree

Mid-low risk

Anthony Chickillo
Kyle Emannuel
Trey Flowers - 103 in Explosive power
Eli Harold

Moderate risk

Dante Fowler
Nate Orchard
Lyndon Trail"

I think it's almost a certainty that Shelton falls to Miami and continues falling. The 40 is overrated, but teams do use it as a cutoff, and in recent seasons, the slowest 40 for a DT taken in the 1st round was Michael Brocker's 5.36. Shelton, of course, ran a 5.64. Of course, the immediate reaction will be, 'Well, he's a NT, so you don't care how fast he runs.' It's true that if you're drafting a guy to just clog things up, you don't care how fast he runs (to some extent), but you don't draft those guys in the 1st round. The 40 time indicates that Shelton is too slow to impact the passing game, and any 1st round pick should do that. I like the idea of looking for a pass rusher or a DT in the 1st, because the talent is good at those positions. I'd prefer Carl Davis or Malcom Brown to Shelton, but I'd favor Davis. I have Goldman as more of a late 1st, but I'd also favor him to Shelton.

As a prospect, I'd say Carl Davis is like Michael Brockers with Ra'Shede Hageman's physical tools. On passing sets, I don't see teams doubling Shelton consistently - playing next to Suh - and I don't see Shelton as having the physical tools to make teams pay for blocking him 1-on-1. I don't think teams would/could do the same thing with Carl Davis. He'd presents a quandary for opposing teams, and I think he and Suh would make for the most dominant DT combo in the NFL by Davis' 2nd season.

That would be appropriate, IMO. After watching Washington's bowl game a few days ago I had no idea how Shelton was rated so highly. Shirt tail out, terribly out of shape, and very little range or impact.

Granted, all of Washington's top rated defenders looked lousy in that game and basically seemed like they were content to free lance and not care about the result, but at least you could see flashes of ability from the other two.

I was thrilled when we signed Suh. I'd love to pair him with another top tier guy so I never have to look at Earl Mitchell again. Danny Shelton is not the answer. For reference, Nolan Nawrocki rated Shelton 46th in his newly published draft preview. I've noticed that players generally fall closer in line to Nawrocki's rating than conventional wisdom beforehand. That lends itself to your belief that Shelton will slide.

I would prefer Goldman or Brown to Shelton. I like to remember high school rankings, hints of early excellence that has carried over. Both were 5 star recruits three years ago. Goldman was Rivals' 7th rated player while Brown was 26th. Notice that a gamble on Green-Beckham, if it connects for somebody, could really pay off. He's always been considered the ultimate freak.

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/recruiting/rankings/rank-2867/0

I found the related link on footballsfuture.com, evaluating edge rushers based on metrics:

http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=561995

I'll post a summary from within the thread. Obviously, Fowler doesn't fare nearly as well by the numbers as his current subjective appraisal. :

"So according to the formula, of the players we can define with it, these are the groups.

Low risk 1

Vic Beasley - Looking at the formula on the original page, the cutoff is 1.05, but I didn't see any examples of 103 or 104 guys in the groups that didn't meet that cutoff. Is there reason the hard cutoff is 105?

Low risk 2

Frank Clark
Owa Odighizuwa
Davis Tull
Bud Dupree

Mid-low risk

Anthony Chickillo
Kyle Emannuel
Trey Flowers - 103 in Explosive power
Eli Harold

Moderate risk

Dante Fowler
Nate Orchard
Lyndon Trail"

Sweet post! I'm everydownaudibl on that board. Marcus Rush also tested in to the Low Risk 1 group, with a 1.09 twitch score and a 6.73 3-Cone. Gregory and Riddick are interesting, because they just miss the same group with twitch scores of 1.10 and 1.11. Their 6.80 3-Cones measure up very well. I'm high on both players - even though I like the Waldo formula, and both are technically Moderate Risks.

Have to think they're playing him. He's part of one of the strongest position groups in the draft, and he's put up one productive season - couldn't even call him a one-year wonder. In addition to that, he's ridiculously overrated as an athlete. He's just a bad bet in the early 1st. Guys like Beasley, Dupree, and Gregory are great bets - assuming Gregory doesn't smoke himself out of the league. Beasley seems like a good fit for Jacksonville. You have a polished, dynamic pass rusher with high-end physical tools. Red flags for Gregory aside, I think any of Beasley, Dupree, or Gregory would be a good pick for Jacksonville. I think Fowler would be a very poor pick.

Speaking of Edge/DE, Frank Clark looks to have his legal issues behind him, and one of the nfl.com guys (maybe LZ) reported that some GM's were talking about him in the top 100. How do you feel about Clark as a prospect?

Clark was always an athletic freak that could have used a redshirt. Before the legal issues popped up he was starting to become unblockable. Would need some work, but he's got skill for sure

Clark was always an athletic freak that could have used a redshirt. Before the legal issues popped up he was starting to become unblockable. Would need some work, but he's got skill for sure

I'm not a big PFF guy, but I do like their pass rush productivity stat. No secret that I'm a huge Carl Davis fan, and he posted a top-10 ranking among interior pass rushers despite dealing with constant double teams. People want to know where the production is. Well, there it is. On the same note, Frank Clark grades out as the 3rd best edge in this category - behind only James Vaughters and Trey Flowers (who I also really like). The stat lacks context - double team % would go a long way here - but it at least gives us another way of defining production. Among edge rushers, Flowers and Clark were each top 6 in run stop % as well.

Flowers is terrific in college- long, powerful, savvy, relentless... but he lacks explosion and agility. I'm rooting for him to be successful in the pros, but Im sceptical.

Flowers is terrific in college- long, powerful, savvy, relentless... but he lacks explosion and agility. I'm rooting for him to be successful in the pros, but Im sceptical.

In regard to explosive power, Flowers is just a hair behind the elite guys - Dupree, Owa, Clark, Tull. I think Flowers, though, has the length and strength to be a true DE. Miami should consider him, if he's available, at 47.

As an athlete, though, Clark reminds me an awful lot of Justin Houston. Without the off-field stuff, I'd view Clark as a top 20 player. I like both Clark and Flowers a lot more than I do Fowler.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2015/profiles/frank-clark?id=2552629

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/justin-houston?id=2495493

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2015/profiles/trey-flowers?id=2552278

Back
Top Bottom