Dwayne Jarrett v. Ted Ginn, Jr. | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dwayne Jarrett v. Ted Ginn, Jr.

Dwayne Jarrett v. Ted Ginn, Jr.

• Dwayne Jarrett

Votes: 48 53.3%
  • Ted Ginn, Jr.

Votes: 42 46.7%

• Total voters
Here are two videos. Watch them and then vote who you'd rather have at #9.

Thanks for the great poll Lab with the google video's and all. That was awesome.

It's a tough choice to make because Ginn is a game-changer. He's one of those Reggie Bush/Devin Hester types and passing on Ginn may be the biggest blunder we've made in the draft since trading down for John Avery instead of taking Randy Moss.

Jarrett is such a physical freak though. He looked like a giant out there amidst those tiny DB's. Ofcourse, it is college and the DB's in the pro's won't be quite as helpless as those in the highlight reel. Still, I've been rooting for Ginn for weeks now and these reels made it a much closer race.

I still think the move for Miami is to trade out of 9, either up for Brady Quinn, or down for Levi Brown. Even though I voted for Ginn, if we were to select Jarrett, I wouldn't be mad at all.

Wow...you don't think Jarrett is a polished route runner, but think Lelie is? During his career QBs have completed 48.8% of the passes they have thrown to Lelie. Hardly the numbers of a polished route runner. Especially considering he never has been a #1...very poor indeed. We already have a WR that puts up those exact numbers in completion percentage in Chambers at 49% for his career. I can't think of a worse WR to add to this team. An even bigger problem with Lelie is he is allergic to the end zone.

I've watched Jarrett plenty of times and Lelie plenty of times as well. I mean look at their QBs for a second there. Matt Leinart and Josh Booty's passes against weak Pac-10 defenses vs. Jake Plummer's incompetence and Micheal Vick???

Yes I think Lelie is a better WR. I never said Lelie was a #1. You don't get #1s in free agency because they're franchised.

*yawn
My point is that the combination of USC's prolific offense and the weak defenses they play leads to Jarrett's numbers being inflated. After watching Tennessee play Cal this year, I think Meachem could have had 2000 yards receiving if he played USC's schedule. If you disagree, that's fine, but when we are talking about the Vanderbilts and the Arkansas of the world and making it sound like that is the class of the SEC, the discussion has really deteriorated. We obviously don't see eye-to-eye on this.

Currently, USC receivers seem to me like they could turn out to be like Gators receivers in the late 90's and early 2000's. Great college success because their opponents were overmatched, but it doesn't transition to the NFL. The trend has already begun in my opinion, with Mike Williams and Keary Colbert.
* snore
The same Meachem that had 4 catches for 33 yards in the Outback Bowl against Penn State as his team lost 20-10...the Penn State team that finished 2 games behind Michigan in the conference...2000 yards :lol: keep dreaming.

Sounds like you are not aware that Arkansas won the SEC West this year with a 7-1 conference record.

Here are two videos. Watch them and then vote who you'd rather have at #9.

[youtube]WGyrgqOKZLg[/youtube]

[youtube]R_aByLgotfY[/youtube]
I just watched the Dwayne Jarrett video and I'm Wow'd. I always thought he was the 2nd best receiver in this draft, and earlier in the season, I said we need either Calvin Johnson or Dwayne Jarrett. Dwayne Jarrett got better hands than any wide receiver in our current roster. He would definitely be a huge upgrade, and he has the ability to be a #1 receiver in his 2nd or 3rd year.

A Pac-10 WR core of #1 Dwayne Jarrett and #2 Derek Hagan sounds good to me.

I just watched the Dwayne Jarrett video and I'm Wow'd. I always thought he was the 2nd best receiver in this draft, and earlier in the season, I said we need either Calvin Johnson or Dwayne Jarrett. Dwayne Jarrett got better hands than any wide receiver in our current roster. He would definitely be a huge upgrade, and he has the ability to be a #1 receiver in his 2nd or 3rd year.

A Pac-10 WR core of #1 Dwayne Jarrett and #2 Derek Hagan sounds good to me.

He barely gets seperation in college in the NFL CBs will be bigger and he won't produce the same way. Ginn Jr. I don't agree with either.

He barely gets seperation in college in the NFL CBs will be bigger and he won't produce the same way. Ginn Jr. I don't agree with either.
Exactly the same thing said about Fitzgerald when he came into the league. How does a WR score 41 TDs in 38 games and not be able to get separation? Although he doesn't have a great time in the 40 he is quick out of his cuts. The other things to take note of when watching the highlight film is the way Jarrett uses his body to shield the defender from the ball (someone should send this to Chambers) and his hands (some of the best to ever come out of college). At 6'5" and 215 it is the CBs that are going to have a tough time matching up physically...keep in mind he will only be 21 years old when the season starts so he will continue to get stronger and better.

I am surprised more Florida fans dont want Ted Ginn Jr. They saw first hand how fast he is. Too bad he got hurt and they only saw him healthy one play. And that one play was for a TD. Jarrett is a good reciver and will do well in the nfl but we need some speed to offset Chambers and Booker.

Exactly the same thing said about Fitzgerald when he came into the league. How does a WR score 41 TDs in 38 games and not be able to get separation? Although he doesn't have a great time in the 40 he is quick out of his cuts. The other things to take note of when watching the highlight film is the way Jarrett uses his body to shield the defender from the ball (someone should send this to Chambers) and his hands (some of the best to ever come out of college). At 6'5" and 215 it is the CBs that are going to have a tough time matching up physically...keep in mind he will only be 21 years old when the season starts so he will continue to get stronger and better.

I never heard that knock on Fitzgerald when he came out. I heard how is was one of the most polished recievers ever to come out of the draft, much like how Calvin Johnson is this season. And how do you score 41 TDs in 38 games without getting seperation? By having the DBs give you an 8 yard cushion, or by running fades in the endzone, since you have more than a 6 inch advantage over DBs before jumping.

Fitzgerald has even better ball skills and is a freak of nature. Also he runs better routes. Jarrett doesn't run very good routes at all. Keep in mind that a number of players will also get stronger and better including his own draftmates on defense. He also isn't that quick out of his cuts. In that video for example all you see is him get pummeled after catching the ball. Well guess what in the NFL a CB is going to come in and go for the ball not him and jar it loose.

I never heard that knock on Fitzgerald when he came out. I heard how is was one of the most polished recievers ever to come out of the draft, much like how Calvin Johnson is this season. And how do you score 41 TDs in 38 games without getting seperation? By having the DBs give you an 8 yard cushion, or by running fades in the endzone, since you have more than a 6 inch advantage over DBs before jumping.
The one negative draft gurus questioned about Fitzgerald when he came out was his speed and questioned whether he would get separation. That DBs would give Jarrett an 8 yard cushion is an indication they respect Jarrett's speed and route running. I can't tell whether the fact that Jarrett is able to score consistently on fades and has a 6 inch advantage in height (greater when you add in arm length) is a positive or negative in your book. In mine it is a positive...those are "great" qualities to have in WR if you are a QB.

His size, hands and strength makes up for the "lack of" speed, though Jarrett is still pretty fast. He is very physical and makes explosive plays all the time.

Jarrett is a baller.

I am surprised more Florida fans dont want Ted Ginn Jr. They saw first hand how fast he is. Too bad he got hurt and they only saw him healthy one play. And that one play was for a TD. Jarrett is a good reciver and will do well in the nfl but we need some speed to offset Chambers and Booker.

However, it was a blown kick ( they had coverage set up on the right side, the kicker screwed up and kicked it to the other side ) and Reggie Nelson was pretty clearly held. Not saying he would have for sure made the tackle, but he was in great position to make it.

Honestly, Ginn doesn't impress me as a returner nearly as much as I was impressed with Hester or Jones-Drew

Fitzgerald has even better ball skills and is a freak of nature. Also he runs better routes. Jarrett doesn't run very good routes at all. Keep in mind that a number of players will also get stronger and better including his own draftmates on defense. He also isn't that quick out of his cuts. In that video for example all you see is him get pummeled after catching the ball. Well guess what in the NFL a CB is going to come in and go for the ball not him and jar it loose.

Actually, Jarret runs fantastic routes for a kid his age. Where did you see/read that he doesn't? He makes great catches in traffic ( that seems to be overlooked, sadly.. )

Its much like CC Davis vs Dallas Baker. As a seminole, I want CC Davis, because hes actually bigger and a bit faster than Baker, but Baker makes much better catches in traffic and has great movement to get a couple extra yards after the catch.. so Id take Dallas Baker even though if you cant see the difference between the two in a practice/combine situation.

Dwayne Jarret is going to be a tremendous player in the NFL. I dont think he'll be a show stopping all star, but he only has a small amount of things to improve upon ( strength ) before he could be a solid starter in the league. He reminds me A LOT of KeyShawn Johnson..

If we're looking for a #1 WR who can be a go-to guy for a QB, Jarrett's the prototypical one. Not super fast but who is fast enough, runs great routes, and has sure hands.

If we're looking for a #2 WR who will just spread the field, Ginn's the speed demon. Better return guy also. But he does fumble a bit and tends to disappear sometimes in games.
I agree, if I had to pick one of the two I would choose Jarrett but I don't think we pick a WR with our first pick or even on the first day. I guess it depends on what we do in free agency and what we do with Booker and Welker.

I won't bash Fitzgerald bc he has some of the greatest hands I have ever seen. However, Jarrett is right up there with him. Hard for me to believe the compilation of criticism against Jarrett in this thread. Jarrett is not fast enough, physical enough, can't get separation, runs terrible routes, only puts up big numbers against PAC 10 teams, only puts up big numbers in big games against non PAC 10 teams, doesn't have that great of hands, not strong enough...yet in his college career Jarrett has put up the following numbers in 38 games.

25 games with a TD reception, 12 games with more than one TD reception, 2 games 200 or more yards, 13 total games over 100 yards, 26 total games 60 or more yards, 26 games in which he has 5 or more catches, and 33 games 4 or more receptions. The other games he didn't add to the above numbers mostly occurred when he was a freshman (he did have 100+ yards in 3 of final 4 games that year) while getting acquainted with the offense and the two games this year playing injured.

Furthermore, Jarrett has had at least 4 receptions in 28 of the past 29 games (the one he didn't was one of the games he played injured this year) and has at least 60 yards in 23 of the last 28 games (two of which is when he played injured this year).

He also put up the following numbers in "Two" Championship games and this years Rose Bowl...26 catches 441 yards 4 TD.

Not bad for a player that has so many limitations. In fact, there is not a WR in this draft, including the great Calvin Johnson (and I truly think he is) that comes close to having the career Jarrett has had. In fact, there are not too many WR in the history of college football that have had as good of a career as he has.

Back
Top Bottom