Egnew update: Philbin seeing "progress" | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Egnew update: Philbin seeing "progress"

Campbell was the man on hard Knocks. Right now I'd rate him our 2nd TE. :)

player/coach ?

HBO's Hard Knocks didn't do this guy any favors. He really looked lost and it was for all to see.

I think most of us thought he would have been a good pickup in the 5th. In my opinion, he is a 5th round talent that will need all of this year to learn his new position. We can't give up on him because the kid can catch. With our coaching staff he has a better chance to be productive.

LOL at all the posters who say to cut him. It's called developing players people. And for the first time in years we have a coach who can do it. I am excited to see what a year under Philbin does for this guy.

http://www.miamidolphins.com/news/a...-Offense/2ddf5a92-f279-4e2f-a07a-b033e9e4ac7e

That's what I was saying. Haters always quick to assume "Oh, we are going to be drafting a TE high". After WR I think we're going FS as top two needs this offseason. I think we have a nice balance of TE's in Mastrud, Egnew, and Clay developing for 2013.... when we make that push. :)

Yeah at this point I expected Egnew to have around 30 catches for 400 yards and 4 TD's. Isn't that what most 3rd round TE's have?

My guess is, he could play right away and be a threat in the passing game, but he just cant block worth ****! And even in our pass happy NFL that we have to day, a TE in this league HAS to be able to block at least a little to play in this game. Because if he lines up in the normal 12 or 21 personal, (one TE, 2 RB or 2 TE, 1 RB), when he is in the game, and cant block, we will either get crushed running the ball, or tip our hand in the pass game. Same reason a RB, and why Lamar Miller, is getting limited snaps. And I say he is having trouble blocking, but I do mean he is having more success in the pass game, but probally not perfect. He probally wont be much of a factor this year, but that doesnt mean he's a bust. He puts on some more weight in the offseason and gets a whole offseason to learn the offense and technique, he could break out next year.

http://www.miamidolphins.com/news/a...-Offense/2ddf5a92-f279-4e2f-a07a-b033e9e4ac7e

That's what I was saying. Haters always quick to assume "Oh, we are going to be drafting a TE high". After WR I think we're going FS as top two needs this offseason. I think we have a nice balance of TE's in Mastrud, Egnew, and Clay developing for 2013.... when we make that push. :)

I'm with ya on that. except I'd like us taking the Honey Badger at FS and then a WR… that's if Mathieu comes out, which looks probable

I'm with ya on that. except I'd like us taking the Honey Badger at FS and then a WR… that's if Mathieu comes out, which looks probable

I actually agree with that. In fact, I even think based on the fact that I don't think there is a projected top 10 type of "must pick" WR in this year's draft, we may be looking to add that #1 WR "prior" to the draft with one of the FA WRs ie Wallace or Jennings? I see FS as our first round pick.

And they knew prior to drafting Egnew that blocking was not his forte. That he was really drafted to be a redzone/stretch the middle of the field type of TE. Which is why I believe that Mastrud, Egnew, and Clay will for a nice TE trio for us...

I remember when Paul Soliai was a bust. While it sucks that Egnew isn't ready to contribute at this point his story isn't really written yet. If all teams camps went through Hard Knocks type exposure there would be tons of players who looked lost in their first camps that ended up being very good players. You can write him off now based off one camp, and the fact he isn't playing yet, and you might very well end up right, but you're just as likely to be wrong. Wise people wait things like that out. They still saw enough in him to keep him. And he DIDN'T block at Mizzou, so he was going to have a significant adjustment to playing in the NFL no matter how talented he is or isn't. He absolutely has done nothing to say he was a good pick, but it's also way too early to say he's a failure as well.

I remember when Paul Soliai was a bust. While it sucks that Egnew isn't ready to contribute at this point his story isn't really written yet. If all teams camps went through Hard Knocks type exposure there would be tons of players who looked lost in their first camps that ended up being very good players. You can write him off now based off one camp, and the fact he isn't playing yet, and you might very well end up right, but you're just as likely to be wrong. Wise people wait things like that out. They still saw enough in him to keep him. And he DIDN'T block at Mizzou, so he was going to have a significant adjustment to playing in the NFL no matter how talented he is or isn't. He absolutely has done nothing to say he was a good pick, but it's also way too early to say he's a failure as well.

Exactly ala 7-11 was supposed to be some great WR that we could not afford to put on the PS? haha And how in the hell is Matthews still inactive? smh

Every time I see him on the sideline he has a dopey derp face. He doesn't look like he has a shred of confidence.

Some people on here just enjoy kicking the guy. He will be fine.

I remember thinking soliai was a lost cause and now he's a force to be reckoned with

I'm willing to let him develop this year but we need to see improvement next year for sure

Back
Top Bottom