"Elite" Players on Fins and Currently in Division | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

"Elite" Players on Fins and Currently in Division

Vaark

The Intra-Dimensional Felinians R Coming 2 Save Us
Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
As we've seen from some past "debates", the definition of elite is subjective - perhaps to the point of being downright nebulous or self-serving.

However for the purpose of this discussion, I'm electing to define an "elite player" as one who has consistently at least over the last 3 years performed at or near the top of his position (ranging top 3-5 in the league over that time). This is as much based on the eye test in perspective as on pure fantasy numbers in a vacuum. Given this admitedly also subjective parameter, here's what I've come up with:

Fins: presently 2 elite players
Fins 2 of 6 divisional "elite" players:
Fields and Wake
with Pouncy on the cusp

Pats: presently 2 elite players
Brady (of course) and Wilfork
with Gronk (if he can stay healthy) and Mayo on the cusp

Bills:
Mario Williams
with Dareus and Spiller in the wings

Jest:
Mangold (alone with the departure of Revis)
with Cromartie on the cusp.

Your thoughts?

for the most part, IMO if a player isn't "elite" by a certain age, then they never will be. so take cromo off the list. And I dont' know if injuries should count against a player. So I say gronk is elite.

I think everyone along with me would hope that Wallace is an on the cusp player. He sure has the paycheck of a big time baller.

mario willams is not elite...he's overrated and overpaid...gronks as good as any te in the game but there's a health factor there...mangolds fell off of late a bit...i like our pouncey more...i don't think mayo will ever be elite cause he's not a great player outside the tackles and he doesn't produce many flash plays... not much wow factor...cromarties still inconsistent...

Toss up division. Brady is only elite player - now close to 38

The good news is we have several players that could be elite in the near future

Jones - a couple more impressive seasons and he's there
Wallace - just do what he did in Pittsburg
Tannehill - take advantage of his new toys and move to the next level

Wake, Fields, Brady, Wilfork, Gronk, Mangold, Byrd. Soon to add Pouncey, Jones, Spiller ...and TANNEHILL! Go Fins

Marcel Dareus is a freakin beast. He could, very soon, be the 2nd best DT behind Wilfork if not the best DT in this division. Wilkerson for the Jets not far behind.

Spiller is dynamic, not sure he's elite.

I don't have a clear idea of what kind of performance would translate as "elite".
Thus because there aren't clear stats for certain positions and some stats are inflated because of teammates.

That said, AFC East players with 2014 Pro-bowl potential :

Bills: C.J. Spiller, Kyle Williams, Stevie Johnson, Jairus Byrd, Mario Williams, Stephon Gilmore
Dolphins: Cameron Wake, Brent Grimes, Mike Wallace, Brandon Fields, Randy Starks, Ryan Tannehill
Jets: D’Brickashaw Ferguson, Nick Mangold, David Harris, Antonio Cromartie, Santonio Holmes
Patriots: Tom Brady, Rob Gronkowski, Nate Soldier, Vince Wilfork, Logan Mankins, Danny Amendola

I included Tannehill because after all the offensive weapons Dolphins has added, he has been mentioned in several sources as the passer with higher potential to grow in 2013.
The question mark on him (and resides on LT Jonathan Martin.

Of course it will looks unlikely for Stevie Johnson and Santonio Holmes to get outstanding stats with the kind of passers they will have in 2013.

Well if you use the NFL top 100 as rated by actual NFL players to define "elite" we only have 2 players if my memory serves me correctly Wallace and Wake.

Now, this time next year might be a different issue.

I cant see how Pouncey doesnt make the list.
Chubbs

I would say that Byrd is more elite than Williams for Buffalo. I would also put Jones on the cusp for us. Everything else looks pretty good to me.

Elite is top 5 at your position imo...

Brady, Gronk, Wake, Pouncey, and Spiller are the only ones I could say "top 5" to.

Cromartie may be the best CB in our division, but he's not top 5 in the league.

Elite is top 5 at your position imo...

Brady, Gronk, Wake, Pouncey, and Spiller are the only ones I could say "top 5" to.

Cromartie may be the best CB in our division, but he's not top 5 in the league.

Byrd is definitely top 5. And Spiller is not yet

Byrd is definitely top 5. And Spiller is not yet

I disagree. Byrd can be good (but not elite) if he can get better at tackling and quits gambling on picks. He had a lot of takeaways his rookie year, but has dropped of sharply since then. He either gets a pick, or he gets burned - its one or the other with him, and lately its been the latter. I can name 5 free safeties better than Byrd.

I think Spiller is phenomenal. If it weren't for Chan Gailey and one of the worst passing attacks in the NFL, Spiller could have been the best back of 2012. He's the only guy on the Bills that scares me.

Wake and Fields are our only two elite players, I agree.

Unfortunately for us the Patriots have elite talent at the most important position - QB.

Back
Top Bottom