enough is enough take MATT RYAN!! | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

enough is enough take MATT RYAN!!

one concern I have about him is that he only played at a high level for 1 year.....in '06 he only had 15 TD to 10 INT.

Looking back, he wasn't really viewed as a top prospect until after this year. A few 08 projections I could find from last summer, don't even project him as a 1st rounder. The one QB rankings I could find had him as the 6th rated QB. Trust me, I know all the flaws in using those kinds of mocks and rankings....but I'm just trying to illustrate that he really wasn't considered elite until this year. thoughts?

He burst on the scene as a sophmore and from that time on was considered a first day pick so I'm not sure where you're getting your info from. He was injured his junior year and bounced back his senior

That's a convenient argument. Diminsh the intelligence of those who disagree. Obviously the only reason anybody could posssibly want Ryan is because he's rated the top QB. It couldnt possibly be because they have seen the guy play and feel he's a potential franchise QB. It couldnt possibly be because they have compared him to the others available and deemed him the best of the lot[/quote

How is that "diminishing the intelligence of those who disagree"? If anyone else feels that he measures up as the #1 player available, I have no problem with their opinion. The problem I have is with the idea that the #1 rated QB is automatically the #1 player available, which to be honest, just isn't always true. I just feel that there are other players available in this draft, with their skillsets, are a better prospect for our #1 overall pick. If you feel he is #1 overall, that's fine, I just respectfully disagree with your opinion, while obviously, you disagree with mine. That's what's so great, everyone is entitled to their own opinion and shouldn't be forced to agree with someone else.

He burst on the scene as a sophmore and from that time on was considered a first day pick so I'm not sure where you're getting your info from. He was injured his junior year and bounced back his senior

first day pick? fine. we're talking about being the #1 overall pick. I did a very quick search for 08 draft info and what I found didn't have him projected in the first round and the one positional rankings had him as a 6th best QB. I also looked through all the comments to follow and didn't see 1 'where's Matt Ryan?' type comment.

I don't pretend that those things have any meaning in whether he should be the pick or not....but at least partly support my opinion that he wasn't considered a top prospect until this year. I'm willing to accept that scouts had him rated very highly then, and just the draftniks and media hadn't caught on yet as the other poster suggested, but that is where I'm 'getting my info from'.

That's a convenient argument. Diminsh the intelligence of those who disagree. Obviously the only reason anybody could posssibly want Ryan is because he's rated the top QB. It couldnt possibly be because they have seen the guy play and feel he's a potential franchise QB. It couldnt possibly be because they have compared him to the others available and deemed him the best of the lot

so you are telling me that there aren't posters on here who's only arguemnet is (and yes, it is usually in all caps, go figure), WE NEED A QB!! DRAFT RYAN!!

It doesn't apply to everyone....there is some very good conversation goin on in this thread as to why he could be a franchise QB. But the board is inundated with the overly-simplistic draft the best QB approach.

I think that a lot of people want to take Matt Ryan because he is the best quarterback available. that's just stupid IMO. Being the best QB in any given draft does NOT make you a franchise quarterback.

A recent team who seemed to follow that logic, the San Fransisco 49ers when they took Alex Smith. That's worked out really well, huh? It was right down to the wire who the better player was between him and Aaron Rogers, and when the Niners took Smith....you saw what happened with Rogers, right? Fell all the way down to the Packers. The mystique of getting the 'best quaterback' was gone, so Rogers fell to a more reasonable draft spot for him (and what would have been more reasonable for Smith).

But I'm cool with Ryan if we take him....I have faith in the FO now to take the best football player for the Miami Dolphins and not just take Ryan simple because he's the best available QB. I just don't like how everyone here says we have to get Ryan because we need a franchise QB and just assume that he is one since he's the best available.
this person makes the most sense that I have heard in a long time. Thinks things through, and uses what God give him to evaluate. Does not just use it to keep his hat off of his shoulders
:up:

Be careful with the word "everyone". Thats a big group of people. It may be misinterpreted by people who think Ryan is simply the best player on the board regardless of position. You know, the same people who rated Calvin Johnson in front of JaMarcus Russell, or Mario Williams in front of Vince Young, or Ronnie Brown in front of Alex Smith.

That's a convenient argument. Diminsh the intelligence of those who disagree. Obviously the only reason anybody could posssibly want Ryan is because he's rated the top QB. It couldnt possibly be because they have seen the guy play and feel he's a potential franchise QB. It couldnt possibly be because they have compared him to the others available and deemed him the best of the lot
He did no such thing. He simply pointed out the fact that some provide no support for their argument to draft Ryan other than something along the lines of "WE NEED A FRANCHISE QB!!1!" He even commented positively on a Ryan supporter post that did provide some food for thought. So, please stop with the woe-is-me (and every other Ryan supporter) stuff.

Be careful with the word "everyone". Thats a big group of people. It may be misinterpreted by people who think Ryan is simply the best player on the board regardless of position. You know, the same people who rated Calvin Johnson in front of JaMarcus Russell, or Mario Williams in front of Vince Young, or Ronnie Brown in front of Alex Smith.

touche. I certainly didn't mean for 'everyone' to be taken literally. :up:

That's a convenient argument. Diminsh the intelligence of those who disagree. Obviously the only reason anybody could posssibly want Ryan is because he's rated the top QB. It couldnt possibly be because they have seen the guy play and feel he's a potential franchise QB. It couldnt possibly be because they have compared him to the others available and deemed him the best of the lot[/quote

How is that "diminishing the intelligence of those who disagree"? If anyone else feels that he measures up as the #1 player available, I have no problem with their opinion. The problem I have is with the idea that the #1 rated QB is automatically the #1 player available, which to be honest, just isn't always true. I just feel that there are other players available in this draft, with their skillsets, are a better prospect for our #1 overall pick. If you feel he is #1 overall, that's fine, I just respectfully disagree with your opinion, while obviously, you disagree with mine. That's what's so great, everyone is entitled to their own opinion and shouldn't be forced to agree with someone else.

Well said. Defending the Ryan pick gets a little tiresome sometimes and there are times I feel the debates degenerate into insulting each other. I was too quick to assume this was one of those instances. Keep up the good work :up:

P.S. Tough to stay angry at anybody who quotes Orwell :D

Well said. Defending the Ryan pick gets a little tiresome sometimes and there are times I feel the debates degenerate into insulting each other. I was too quick to assume this was one of those instances. Keep up the good work :up:

P.S. Tough to stay angry at anybody who quotes Orwell :D

No problem, spirited debate is the food of intelligence!!
The Orwell quote is one we used as our squad motto in the Army. I spent 18 years Special Forces, 20+ total service.(Not all of us Grunts are brain-dead, yet!)lol!!

first day pick? fine. we're talking about being the #1 overall pick. I did a very quick search for 08 draft info and what I found didn't have him projected in the first round and the one positional rankings had him as a 6th best QB. I also looked through all the comments to follow and didn't see 1 'where's Matt Ryan?' type comment.

I don't pretend that those things have any meaning in whether he should be the pick or not....but at least partly support my opinion that he wasn't considered a top prospect until this year. I'm willing to accept that scouts had him rated very highly then, and just the draftniks and media hadn't caught on yet as the other poster suggested, but that is where I'm 'getting my info from'.

You are correct about not being considered the best QB going into his Junior or Senior years. Going into his Junior year his grade was that of someone who may move into the first round if he kept the momentum from his sophmore season going. He had a rough Junior year due to his injuries and was a wild card prospect heading into his Senior season. Everybody wanted to see how he would rebound from the tough junior season so it was kind of a keep your eye out on this guy evaluation. Pretty much going into this year Brohm and Brennan were the two main QBs with Woodson and Henne following closely behind. Ryan was in the third group after that.

I thought you meant that he was just somebody weho burst on the scene out of nowhere. Granted he wasnt a media darling before this year but he was definitely on alot of people's radar

No problem, spirited debate is the food of intelligence!!
The Orwell quote is one we used as our squad motto in the Army. I spent 18 years Special Forces, 20+ total service.(Not all of us Grunts are brain-dead, yet!)lol!!

My favorite quote by him was when he fought in the Spanish Civil War and got shot in the throat. People said he was very lucky in that if the bullet had gone one inch to the right he would have been killed too which he replied " I wouldve been far luckier if the bullet had gone one inch to the left in that it would have missed altogether"

By the way Adam, I really like your draft selections in your mock, after the #1 pick, that is!! lol

Back
Top Bottom